Daily Check in Jan 29, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Jan 29, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugals,
Back into the office and feeling more like my usual self. I have not adjusted to the 4 day weekend yet. I also needed to request something from Ex and his initial reply was a bit curt but he came through in the end. Of course I am going to have to go back to him. Sigh, dreading it. But the boys have been helpful.

Preparing for the Polar vortex here to arrive tomorrow.

Stay warm and safe everyone,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Jan 29, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

How lovely to see a post from you Maggie (actually a couple of posts).

Are you now having 4 day weekends all the time?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The polar vortex has arrived here. It really started yesterday, but this morning it is really cold. I actually hoped this would hold off another day or three, but of course it wouldn't. Right now the temperature is -33C but with the slight wind we have it really feels like -45C. Brrrrr.

I have my doctors appointment at 11 this morning so Hubby is going to run me there, and come home to wait for my phone call to pick me up. It will use up some gas, but at least I don't have to sit and worry about how long I will be leaving the car unplugged. The conditions are supposed to improve as the week progresses (I really hope so).

Frugally speaking I will be working around the house when not waiting at the doctor. When exposed skin can freeze in minutes, outside activity is curtailed but playing indoor games (think Wii) can be fun. Just need to hook up the game and Hubby and I can bowl, or follow some exercises..... Then he can work on his Lake Louise puzzle.

I found a pattern yesterday to make a lovely cardigan for myself. It will use up the two rather large bags of white yarn that I picked up in the Salvation Army Thrift Store many years ago. I even started it last night. I was going to tweak the pattern a bit (and still might) put decided at the last minute to follow it closely, just make it a bit bigger and no buttons (I want an open cardi).

I need to hand quilt this afternoon. I am hoping to get a few more blocks completed today, maybe even get finished two entire rows, which would only leave me 7 more to do. This project is not getting completed this month that is for sure.

Organizing and tidying the sewing/craft room is taking longer than I thought it would. If only I could get the setup of tables I want with under shelving things would be much easier to arrange, perhaps getting on set of plastic drawers and bins out would give me a bit more room to work as well. My challenge to myself is to not buy more fabric or yarn until I make a rather large dent in what I have. Should keep me busy for months and frugally happy..... At least I hope.

I really don't feel like hitting the treadmill, but I need to push through. Felt the same yesterday, but still managaged to get my 1 1/2 miles in. I do not think I will be going much faster than 3.4 miles an hour however.

Supper tonight will be a casserole made from a bag of Sunday's leftover chicken. Serving it with a salad.

Today I am grateful that I have a Hubby that volunteered to drive me to my appointments today.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...

Maggie, glad to see you back!
Jackie, safe travels today.

The polar vortext is here, too. It's all of 12 degrees with light snow off and on. The city has canceled trash pickup starting tomorrow due to the nasty wind chills.

Got some of the containers into recycling ... at least the mismatched ones. I'm getting some resistance about culling the rest ... so they'll sit in the living room until this gets resolved ...

Anyway ... some puttering today. A couple of chores ... may cut out a few more blocks for the tree skirt. Last night's Mexican chicken recipe turned out well. Tonight will probably be leftovers from the roast beef.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Cold weather not supposed to arrive here until tomorrow so today looks like a nice, sunny day in the mid-60s (balmy weather for many of you).

I plan to go to the fitness center today. I’ve been bad about exercising since the holidays. Then to mom’s house. Yesterday it was chilly but I still did a bit of work trimming bushes, picking up small branches and pulling some weeds.

The movie First Man was good but not great. It did make me want to plan an overnight trip over to Kennedy Space Center at some point. It’s been years since I’ve been there. Yesterday was the 33rd anniversary of the Challenger disaster. I remember it well. Time flies.

Called the cable company about the seasonal cutoff. It is $4.95/month for two to nine months. Seems a waste in some ways but it would let me test cutting the cord without having to pay a re-installment fee, $49.95. I think I’ll do it next week after the Super Bowl.

Take extra care in the super cold weather many of you are facing today. Keep as warm as possible.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Nice and sunny out today

Didn't get too cold. High 30s right now.

Have a couple of things to attend.

Still working on getting rid of stuff.

Hope all have a great day