daily check in March 3, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

daily check in March 3, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:28 am

Good morning. Just to get us started.

Dgflorida

Re: daily check in March 3, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:06 am

Good Sunday morning all,

The weather people say that most people are now experiencing severe cold and possibly snow. So be careful if this applies to you.

This is our final day of warm weather before temperatures drop. Another good day to paint outside. Yesterday, I applied the caulk and then late in the day applied a layer of fresh paint to the soffit. I plan to apply a second coat this morning. Plenty of time to dry. Getting up and down on the ladder was not liked by my bad knee. I tried to clean the gutters first since I was up there, but as I cleaned, the leaves fluttered in from the trees. So this task will have to wait until next month. I did use my extension pole to clear some limbs off the roof. Because I have a low angle roof, limbs tend to stay on the roof and not tumble off.

I will probably clean up the iron columns today with a wire brush. Given the weather change expected over night, I will probably wait on painting until after the cold front passes. I am not sure the condition of the black iron paint. I bought it on discount a while back. Could be a surprise. Hope it is still good.

This weather is tracking last spring's weather closely. With a warm February, colder March. Last year, April was rain and more rain. Then May was steamy. Interesting if it turns out that way.

Today, I am grateful that the gloomy feelings left so quickly. I like being content and happy. Have a good and safe day everyone.

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 am

Good morning all,
Just getting ready for work this morning, thought I would pop in :) . After several weeks of gloomy and cold days and multiple snow scares in the region, we finally get a few days of bright, sunny (although chilly) weather. Hopefully now that we are into March we can put the slippery and snowy days behind us and look forward to some Spring. Yesterday was a lovely weather day and I could tell that everyone was out in droves enjoying the weather as traffic was pretty heavy yesterday on my way home from work. I suspect today will be much the same.
Mostly it has been fairly quiet around the humble house. My glasses broke about two days ago and I was stressed about now having to rush out to see an eye doctor (I am due for an exam anyway) so I can get new glasses. Frugal Hubby stepped in and told me he thought he could solder (I think that is how you spell it) to fix the arm that broke. I was very nervous but I let him try. After a few attempts at getting the hot solder to take it did finally stick and the arm of my glasses stayed on and I am happy to report that I think I can limp by with this frugal fix ;) . I have to find a new eye care facility since some changes in my eye benefits at work and this takes the pressure off of having to rush out and find someone in a hurry.
I have done a pretty good job of eating down everything in my freezer; I can actually see the bottom of it in places, lol. Maybe another week or so and I can think about replenishing my stock. I diligently work at making my weekly menu plans and sticking to them so this really helps.
Well, got to keep moving this morning; have to make our lunches and snacks for work and put one foot in front of the other and head out to the working world once more. Everyone take care!

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Went to bed a bit later last night, hence the later check in. I watched "A Star Is Born" and while it was good, I never seem to find remakes as interesting as the original. I am just strange that way. I just may have to watch the old version next.

I am the Mass coordinator today so no matter how cold it is (-40C with the wind chill) I will need to be at Mass 1/2 hour before in order to pick up people to fill in where necessary. That is part of the description I dislike and really don't like to do. Keeping my fingers crossed that all show up this morning. I will also be taking the old palms in to be burned for the ashes this year.

Shania seems to be in fine form this morning, chasing her tail and racing around the furniture. Her meow is even louder! Guess she is over whatever was bothering her for the last couple of days.

Not too much happening around here today. I did not get bread or cinnamon buns made yesterday so perhaps those will be done today (well at least the bread making) and a start will be made on my March challenge to myself to get the chest freezer cleaned up, eaten down, and organized a bit better. I actually started that yesterday by using up some apple pie filling.

Frugality wise this is not an envelope day so I expect that today will be no spend as well. It will be right to church and back with no stops.

This afternoon I hope to be able to get one small sewing project done before moving on back to the hand quilting (gave it a bit of a rest for a couple of days) and this evening will of course be knitting. Though whether it will be my cardigan or the prayer shawl is yet to be decided.

The weekly to do list will be made up this morning along with a check of my extra cleaning list to see what I can do quickly this week. I also better remind myself sometime during the week to make a doctor's appointment and an appointment with my hair stylist (hair getting at that stage where it sticks out like Albert Einstein's).

In other words the usual Sunday here on the old homestead.

Supper tonight is going to be roast beef, roasted carrots and I am pulling out a package of beans from the freezer to use as well. I was going to make a salad, but think I will save that until Monday.

Today I am grateful that Shania is feeling much better, but I better check hidden areas for cat barf, just in case.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:59 am

Good morning Dg and everyone. We have snow. The snow is light right now but suppose to continue until 3:00 PM. Some areas have had to cancel church services again. One minister said that since the first of the year this is the 4th time they have canceled services. Some Protestant churches were offering services in the afternoon and early evening on Saturday. Catholics always have an alternate on Saturdays evening. The terrain in some areas is very hilly and steep that is why they cancel. It is (27 F) (-3 C )with a windchill of (15 F) ( -9 C). I am snug in my house with no need to go anywhere.

St Louis had their annual Mardi Gras parade and festivities yesterday. It is the second largest in the USA with New Orleans coming in first. It is held in the old French quarter of the city called Soulard. Late last night the city crews were working like maniacs trying to get all of the debris picked up and the streets swept before the snow came in. They were doing an amazing job.

As a side note the department of transportation in MO announced this is a no driving event. Seems like a while back we had snow and so many idiots went out and got stuck on highways, some of them for up to 11 hours, and there were complaints no one told them to stay off of the road. Duh use your common sense you are adults. Then again some people were legitimately getting off of work and trying to get home and were stuck.

Have a good day. Stay warm and safe.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 am

NoisyPorkchop wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 am
Good morning all,
Just getting ready for work this morning, thought I would pop in :) . After several weeks of gloomy and cold days and multiple snow scares in the region, we finally get a few days of bright, sunny (although chilly) weather. Hopefully now that we are into March we can put the slippery and snowy days behind us and look forward to some Spring. Yesterday was a lovely weather day and I could tell that everyone was out in droves enjoying the weather as traffic was pretty heavy yesterday on my way home from work. I suspect today will be much the same.
Mostly it has been fairly quiet around the humble house. My glasses broke about two days ago and I was stressed about now having to rush out to see an eye doctor (I am due for an exam anyway) so I can get new glasses. Frugal Hubby stepped in and told me he thought he could solder (I think that is how you spell it) to fix the arm that broke. I was very nervous but I let him try. After a few attempts at getting the hot solder to take it did finally stick and the arm of my glasses stayed on and I am happy to report that I think I can limp by with this frugal fix ;) . I have to find a new eye care facility since some changes in my eye benefits at work and this takes the pressure off of having to rush out and find someone in a hurry.
I have done a pretty good job of eating down everything in my freezer; I can actually see the bottom of it in places, lol. Maybe another week or so and I can think about replenishing my stock. I diligently work at making my weekly menu plans and sticking to them so this really helps.
Well, got to keep moving this morning; have to make our lunches and snacks for work and put one foot in front of the other and head out to the working world once more. Everyone take care!
Pork chop good frugal save on the eye glass repair.
Janet Alliesmama