Daily Check In March 5, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In March 5, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:58 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 am
Good morning all,

Thanks for starting us off, Jackielou. I had come on earlier, but I just posted to my personal frugal challenge.

Today is my birthday and this year I feel good about it. Last year, the effects of the keto diet set in and after 20 years, I stopped taking medication for hypothyroidism. I lost my fat belly and began to enjoy eating as much as I wanted of the acceptable foods. Oh it is wonderful to eat without guilt. Of course, I am carrying a bit of winter weight right now because I don't do anything physical in the winter. My body hates cold weather. However, I feel certain it will melt away as the weather warms and I get active. It is a great feeling to be pill free.

Today, I cut up my last whole turkey. I think this was the free one, using a Publix gift card I got by listening to health car lecture. I am soaking black beans that I got on sale and they will go in the bottom of the crockpot with turkey fat from the turkey back and giblets. On top of that, I will cook a turkey thigh and leg. I feel so rich when I can eat great tasting food and feel frugal as well. A frugal plus is that we have our last Canadian cold front here in Florida and the crockpot will warm up the house a bit and maybe no need for the furnace as a result.

Yesterday, I went to a lecture on stem cells. They promised lunch. Well, it was educational. The lecture was given by a "salesman" not the doctor. The salesman was a believer having been saved by stem cell treatment. Well, the doctors are not even medical doctors. They are chiropractors. And they apparently use nurse practitioners to give the shots or iv. There was a lot of fuzzy on that detail. Yes, I and the lady behind me asked a lot of questions and got "answers" so to speak. She asked what was the downsides. The salesman insisted there were no downsides. When pressured by her, he indicated occasionally the cells are rejected by the body. He moved on before she could press the issue. You even leave a seminar feeling that "this is too good to be true?" That is how I left. And the lunch was not that good either.

The traffic was horrible. This county is being overbuilt and the roads are way over capacity. It was a white knuckle trip. I was too tired from the driving to do much when I finally got home. I had considered a couple of stops on the way home, but with the crazy drivers, I decided to come straight home, get off the road as soon as possible and consider myself lucky.

Today, I am grateful that I have pretty good health. Have a good day everyone.
Happy Birthday.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 am

hi everyone,
It was a long, but good day yesterday, Enjoyed my seminar. I've got a busy day today too. It is warm (for an Ohioan) here in SF, in the 50's. I am handing the time zone change much better than I did in my 30's. I had young kids with a rigid schedule and probably did not eat well enough to keep my blood sugar stable back then. So I am happy about that. I had to pace my hotel room 2 laps to get my 10,000 steps, but slept well and and woke up less sore than I did yesterday.

Have a great day,
Maggie

NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 am

Good morning,
DH and I have the next two days off from work and got to enjoy sleeping in just a tad. I thought it was supposed to start raining today but I woke up to somewhat clear skies and the sun peeking out. I am guessing the clouds will roll in a little later. Sure enjoyed the three days of bright sunny weather as everyone here in the valley were super tired of dreary cloudy days and multiple snow scares.

DH and I are frugal day in and out but I recently read an article that reminded the frugal people to tuck a little fun into their daily lives or you run the risk of "frugal fatigue" where you just get burned out on watching your pennies day in and out and slip up and give up and go all spendypants again. It was a good article with helpful tips and it did make me realize that Hubby and I haven't really done anything "fun" for a few months and, looking at my "Fun Stuff" budget category, I decided to treat him to breakfast at the local Shari's restaurant. I let him know when I got home yesterday afternoon and he seemed genuinely excited :) so I know it meant a lot for us to go do something simple like just having breakfast.

It will be somewhat of a spendy March as I have a car appointment at the dealership tomorrow for a routine oil change and the week after an eye appointment to get new glasses to replace the broken pair I am currently wearing. I got our utility bills in and see that our rates have increased over $11.00 on our garbage service and another $8.00 for our water/sewer service :( . We also just topped off our heating fuel which cost another $233.00. Sheesh, it seems like everyone has their hand out this month! But, again, our daily frugal lives help us roll over these bumps of life. Very grateful for that. Overall, life is really good right now. I reflect at how genuinely peaceful our lives are at this time, no money worries, frugal and simple living is at our core, both jobs are stable, both cars run good, we both are in good health. I really take time to reflect on the good and cultivate gratitude to help which help when little stressors try to jump into our lives. Hope you all have a wonderful day :) .

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 am

It is again below freezing this morning, our high is predicted to be in the high 40º.

I am getting a new stove, I have no idea of brand other then it will be a very low price model. I have emptied the storage drawer and removed the stuff from the top of my stove.

I gathered and put out my garbage.

Penny

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Good late morning all,

#1 son in law is here painting, I am trying to work around him and stay busy.
Lots of wood brought in and chickens dealt with. I have bread on its second rise...I want to send a loaf home with him as he loves it so much.
I have laundry going and the kitchen cleaned and scrubbed.
Thinking meatloaf for supper tonight, need to get it mixed and set in fridge for flavors to meld.

After he is done painting I need to use the ladders to clean fans and lights. I hate that job but it is sorely needed. Too bad the fixtures aren't on pullys. Then I could do it more often. That's what happens when you have really high ceilings (20ft?)

It is still bitterly cold here (hi Wolf!) and snow expected again Thursday....so over it.
Jackie, I seriously don't know how you can take it, obviously I am a wimp.
Off to check my bread.
JCKitty

GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 am
Good morning all,

Thanks for starting us off, Jackielou. I had come on earlier, but I just posted to my personal frugal challenge.

Today is my birthday and this year I feel good about it. Last year, the effects of the keto diet set in and after 20 years, I stopped taking medication for hypothyroidism. I lost my fat belly and began to enjoy eating as much as I wanted of the acceptable foods. Oh it is wonderful to eat without guilt. Of course, I am carrying a bit of winter weight right now because I don't do anything physical in the winter. My body hates cold weather. However, I feel certain it will melt away as the weather warms and I get active. It is a great feeling to be pill free.

Today, I cut up my last whole turkey. I think this was the free one, using a Publix gift card I got by listening to health car lecture. I am soaking black beans that I got on sale and they will go in the bottom of the crockpot with turkey fat from the turkey back and giblets. On top of that, I will cook a turkey thigh and leg. I feel so rich when I can eat great tasting food and feel frugal as well. A frugal plus is that we have our last Canadian cold front here in Florida and the crockpot will warm up the house a bit and maybe no need for the furnace as a result.

Yesterday, I went to a lecture on stem cells. They promised lunch. Well, it was educational. The lecture was given by a "salesman" not the doctor. The salesman was a believer having been saved by stem cell treatment. Well, the doctors are not even medical doctors. They are chiropractors. And they apparently use nurse practitioners to give the shots or iv. There was a lot of fuzzy on that detail. Yes, I and the lady behind me asked a lot of questions and got "answers" so to speak. She asked what was the downsides. The salesman insisted there were no downsides. When pressured by her, he indicated occasionally the cells are rejected by the body. He moved on before she could press the issue. You even leave a seminar feeling that "this is too good to be true?" That is how I left. And the lunch was not that good either.

The traffic was horrible. This county is being overbuilt and the roads are way over capacity. It was a white knuckle trip. I was too tired from the driving to do much when I finally got home. I had considered a couple of stops on the way home, but with the crazy drivers, I decided to come straight home, get off the road as soon as possible and consider myself lucky.

Today, I am grateful that I have pretty good health. Have a good day everyone.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!