Anyone Use Level Pay for Utilities?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Anyone Use Level Pay for Utilities?

Post by Quilter51 »

I also have things automatically deducted from my checking account. I've been doing it forever and a day, never had a problem and if they did double bill my cusion would cover it. I have similar bills in the summer and in the winter, and I just take that extra money in those months when I dont need them on or can keep the windows open.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:37 am We do the same thing Littlemiss. We do automatic deduction. It is not travel, but uneven postal delivery here in this area. We pay using a credit card as I recall. We use credit cards whenever we can for utilities. It gives us a bit more safety. We pay the credit card off every month and get points at the same time.
You are lucky that you live in a state that will allow for credit cards to be used for your utilities. Our state allows the utilities, city government and state government to charge a usage charge for their services. The IRS even charges you a usage charge if you should want to pay by credit card, I think they even charge you to use your debit card. Every merchant has to pay a fee for processing our credit cards, but they add it into the cost of doing business where taxes, utilities, etc can't pass that on to their customers. It would cost them billions to let us use our credit cards for the services. The last time I checked I think there were 11 states that it was illegal for a usage fee to be charged in and Florida is one of them.

My telephone service is the only one that doesn't charge me and that will probably change one of these days too.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am I fear my own complacency - knowing that there's only $x coming up on the next bill I might not be as diligent regarding usage as I am when I know I'll see the direct reward (or punishment :lol: ) for that diligence within 30 days.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but with my bill from the utility company, even though I'm on budget billing, it still shows how much gas/electric you used for the month, and what the actual full-price bill is, even though you're paying the level amount. It then tells you how far ahead or behind you are for the year.

So the billing statement looks the same as it always does, except that your Budget Bill amount is what is due, instead of the actual total for the month.
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:40 pm I don't use budget billing either. It's available for all my utilities, but I too prefer to pay it monthly. I know that it's not a popular idea to have it automatically deducted from your checking account on the board, but personally I love it. I never have to forget that I've paid a utility bill and they notify me when it's going to be removed from my checking account. The minute they send me the e-bill I enter it into my checkbook on the date it's to be deducted. I've been doing it for at least 25 years and I've never had a problem with them deducting to much or double-dipping. Not going to say it want happen, but with my traveling it's a couple of bills that I never have to worry about paying. It gets very expensive if you forget to pay a utility and they cut your power, water or gas off. If there is ever an error on their part I will deal with it with a phone call.
The "level pay" or "budget billing" is WHAT your bill amount is, where it is the same amount every month, even though the real total might be higher or lower. You're just paying the same average amount every month.

"Auto Pay" and such is HOW you might pay your bill, where you have your payment automatically deducted from your checking or credit card every month.
ohjodi
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

ohjodi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:36 pm The "level pay" or "budget billing" is WHAT your bill amount is, where it is the same amount every month, even though the real total might be higher or lower. You're just paying the same average amount every month.

"Auto Pay" and such is HOW you might pay your bill, where you have your payment automatically deducted from your checking or credit card every month.
Ohjodi,

I have a tendency to ramble sometimes when I start posting on a subject, but honestly I know the difference between "level pay" or "budget billing". My utility company does offer the "budget billing" once a year, I just prefer to pay the "level pay" as I don't like surprises. I like to pay the utility bill as it comes in every month with "AutoPay".
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:51 pm Ohjodi,

I have a tendency to ramble sometimes when I start posting on a subject, but honestly I know the difference between "level pay" or "budget billing". My utility company does offer the "budget billing" once a year, I just prefer to pay the "level pay" as I don't like surprises. I like to pay the utility bill as it comes in every month with "AutoPay".
Ah, sorry!

I think the thread has gotten a little confusing because the different utility companies use assorted terms for the same things, lol

"Who's on First"! LOL
ohjodi