Daily Check-in, March 14, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Daily Check-in, March 14, 2019

Post by LWolfT »

Hmmm ... last post didn't go through. Let's try a test.
LWolfT

Re: Daily Check-in, March 14, 2019

Post by LWolfT »

Ah ... found the original post in another section. Didn't think I was in there. Anyway, 'tis fixed.

Anyway, it's raining in my corner of the world, though the temps are pretty mild (for the moment).

Just finished perusing the online grocery ads ... found a few things I can use, including a good price on cabbage for Sunday's corned beef dinner.

Will see what I can do today. Back is still aching (and Janet, thanks for the virtual hug.)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Thursday morning all,

Thanks for starting us off, LWolf.

Today is major shopping day. I had to wait until today because I was told that the bulk food place gets delivery on Wednesday and has it out in bins by Thursday. Twice, I have gone on Sundays and they were out of what I wanted. Since it is a longer trip, I don't want to do it twice. While I am there at that mall complex, I will stop at the dollar tree there for a few things and also the shoe store for sneakers. I go through them surprisingly fast. I try to have several pairs. One pair for the yard work and a nice pair for shopping. I also want a couple of more to take with me on my upcoming trip.

Hubs is having a bad week. He is struggling with the amended tax form and the computer is fighting him on updates. Yesterday, he spent all day yelling at the computer. I didn't want to bother him and get my head bitten off, so I tried to wait until the yelling subsided to ask him if he wanted lunch and then to inform him it was on the table or ask him if he wanted his water bottle refilled. There are many days when the house seems very small and I am grateful to get outside.

Yesterday, I walked down to the nursery neighbor. I wanted to ask her opinion on some white mold that is growing in one pot and also ask her opinion on eradicating umbrella papyrus that is rimming the lake. We chatted a long time. Eventually, we talked about the numerous ancestry programs. She and I agree that they are a joke. In her case, she has historical documents that track back to the 1400's. Cousins and such who take those tests say they are German. She says the documents show they are pure Scandinavian. Maybe German 10,000 years ago, she jokes. She has piles of them. I suggested she digitize them. I said husband did. When she said she would ask him about it, I realized that his bad temper was not something I wanted to share. Eventually, she realized her daughter could help her. You alway hope that temperamental types mellow with age. Sometimes, they don't.

I have decided not to travel this time of year in the future. I have too much work to do in the yard. And by the time, the leaves etc are done, it is hurricane season and not a good time to be away from home. Hurricane season lasts pretty much into November based on last year's Michael hurricane of north Florida. This leaves December, January. I am going to propose to old dance partner that we go south at Christmas time or soon after. Less stress on me. No family here, so not a big thing.

It is another beautiful. do something day in Florida. Shop this morning, move mulch and rake leaves this afternoon. Have a good day everyone and those of you in or near that terrible winter storm, be safe.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Off and running. Just thought I would stop in so no one worries.

See you all later.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
It has been a busy few days around here. I finally got a eye doctor appointment out of the way and spent forever looking for a set of new frames. The styles of eyeglass frames that are popular now DO NOT look good on me! It was getting to a point where I was going to throw my hands up in the air and give up when I finally decided to settle for two pairs that were at least acceptable for me. I had to look hard because it appears that the bulky plastic framed glasses and the dorky ones that Colonel Sanders wears in the Kentucky Fried Chicken commercials are popular and I really don't want huge frames that scream "Hi everyone, I wear glasses!!!". The thin-framed set I finally got will be ok. Hoping that my cobbled-together broken frames can make it one more week before I can get my new set. Fingers crossed!
Went out and spent more than usual on groceries this week as Safeway was having some deep deals on Lucerne cheese, some eggs, bread and pork chops. I also got a good deal on $.99 cans of Campbell's Chunky style soups at Winco so I scooped up the limit of 6 cans. I haven't been able to find a good deal on soup all winter long as cans are well over a dollar or more each and I was thrilled to spot these. So, in the end, I spent more than I planned but it will be easy to cut back next week on the spending since we are good on toilet paper and paper towels and such so I will just watch my pennies.
I cooked up a beef roast last night with all the fixings and Hubby invited DSD26 over for some dinner and bringing the new grandbaby over for some love and attention :D She didn't have transportation as her other half had taken the car to go to work so Hubby drove out and got her and the baby. Ohhhh, she is such a little cutie!! She is doing real well and got lots of cuddles from both of us and a good time was had by all. We all ate roast beef and all the trimmings and I had baked up a batch of pumpkin cookies for dessert. By the end of the evening we were all full and tired and DH helped pack them all up and drove them back home. We slept like logs last night, lol.
I have my menu plan laid out for the week and am going to get some slightly sad looking veggies out of my fridge and whip up a stir fry for dinner. Gotta love a good old fashioned stir fry when you need to purge some aging veggies! Well, got to get some tasks done before I head off to work later today. Hope all of you are doing well and holding up under all the strange wintery weather we continue to have across the U.S. Take care :)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:12 am Good morning,
It has been a busy few days around here. I finally got a eye doctor appointment out of the way and spent forever looking for a set of new frames. The styles of eyeglass frames that are popular now DO NOT look good on me! It was getting to a point where I was going to throw my hands up in the air and give up when I finally decided to settle for two pairs that were at least acceptable for me. I had to look hard because it appears that the bulky plastic framed glasses and the dorky ones that Colonel Sanders wears in the Kentucky Fried Chicken commercials are popular and I really don't want huge frames that scream "Hi everyone, I wear glasses!!!". The thin-framed set I finally got will be ok. Hoping that my cobbled-together broken frames can make it one more week before I can get my new set. Fingers crossed!
Went out and spent more than usual on groceries this week as Safeway was having some deep deals on Lucerne cheese, some eggs, bread and pork chops. I also got a good deal on $.99 cans of Campbell's Chunky style soups at Winco so I scooped up the limit of 6 cans. I haven't been able to find a good deal on soup all winter long as cans are well over a dollar or more each and I was thrilled to spot these. So, in the end, I spent more than I planned but it will be easy to cut back next week on the spending since we are good on toilet paper and paper towels and such so I will just watch my pennies.
I cooked up a beef roast last night with all the fixings and Hubby invited DSD26 over for some dinner and bringing the new grandbaby over for some love and attention :D She didn't have transportation as her other half had taken the car to go to work so Hubby drove out and got her and the baby. Ohhhh, she is such a little cutie!! She is doing real well and got lots of cuddles from both of us and a good time was had by all. We all ate roast beef and all the trimmings and I had baked up a batch of pumpkin cookies for dessert. By the end of the evening we were all full and tired and DH helped pack them all up and drove them back home. We slept like logs last night, lol.
I have my menu plan laid out for the week and am going to get some slightly sad looking veggies out of my fridge and whip up a stir fry for dinner. Gotta love a good old fashioned stir fry when you need to purge some aging veggies! Well, got to get some tasks done before I head off to work later today. Hope all of you are doing well and holding up under all the strange wintery weather we continue to have across the U.S. Take care :)
Pork chops I am with you on the thinner frame glasses. Good to know you have a new pair on the way.

Babies are so adorable. I am glad you were able to spend quality time with the new grand baby.
Janet Alliesmama