Daily check in March 18, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in March 18, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Just to get us started.
floridacatlover

Daily Check-In, March 18, 2019

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I’m trying to get an earlier start today.

Going to mom’s house but first stop will be to drop off donations at Salvation Army. Then to get gas. Ouch! Gas is up to $2.59 here. I’m hoping to clean the yellow oak film on mom’s back porch. I hope that I’m not doing this too soon. That will take much of my time at the house. We did not get any rain so I’ll also water some of the outdoor plants.

I called in a Rx to Publix but have a new one I need to drop off there, too. I’ll pick up a few items while I’m there.

I’m not a big fiction reader but have read some lately. Started a book yesterday by Anne Perry that I picked for the title, Buckingham Palace Gardens. Kind of gruesome so far so I’m not sure I’ll stick with it but will try another chapter.

I’ve found another presidential candidate to love, Pete Buttigieg. Surprising. You Indiana gals may know of him. Very impressive young man - Harvard, Rhodes Scholar, McKinsey & Co. (!) and Afghanistan. Openly gay and until recently mayor of South Bend, Indiana. Both parents were professors at Notre Dame. Take a listen if you are so inclined. I can’t support everyone but I’m going to send him $100 because his donor base isn’t huge.

World Figure Skating Championships are this week so starting later in the week I’ll be glued to TV. (I have a special Roku app.) I found out that the tickets for next year’s Worlds in Montreal will not go on sale until May. But I’m going to book a room at the hotel next to the arena as soon as they become available, probably in early April.

Gotta get moving.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in March 18, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Monday morning all,

Today is a cool, cloudy Florida day. A good day to get some needed shopping done. I put off getting softener salt due to my back problems. But it is necessary, so I will get some today and hope the 40 pound bag is not too much. The 40 pound bag is the most frugal price. I will add on a couple of needed stops to make the trip more frugal.

I used up a can of diced tomatoes and a can of chili beans to make hubs chili last night. The pantry challenge started by Jackielou is good for me. The chili beans were bought on a great sale about a year ago and they will expire in August, so using them up is good. Only one can left. I also used up a pint of frozen chopped onions in the chili.

Today, I will debone the steaks I got for hubs, portion and freeze them for him to cook while I am traveling. The steaks were on sale for $3.99/lb which is about the same price as low fat ground sirloin. I know the fat content of the steaks. The lean ground beef can be a mystery. I also need to debone a turkey breast before cooking it up tonight. I could of, should of done this all yesterday, but it didn't happen. Accepting that I run out of energy and there is no extra "tank" to draw from is the reality of growing older and missing sleep thanks to the police helicopter 2 nights ago.

I attempted to clean out the refrigerator yesterday. Something smelled and the plan was to get it in this morning's garbage pickup. I will never be a bloodhound. Sure enough after the garbage truck left, I found the culprit hiding in the back. But a lot of stuff did make it out the door.

I hope that spring comes to everyone and that those affected by the bad floods are safe. It is pretty rough in some parts of the midwest and central west. Have a good day everyone.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-In, March 18, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

I hope that Jackielou combines our check in. I tried once and decided to leave it up to the moderators and administrators.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-In, March 18, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:43 am I hope that Jackielou combines our check in. I tried once and decided to leave it up to the moderators and administrators.
You can not combine them. Just Erin, Aaron or I can. And will do so now.

At least I don't think you can.... unless things have changed.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in March 18, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

It is supposed to be very nice here again today. I am thinking that spring really might have sprung.

Slept in a bit today, but only by about 1/2 hour which really isn't that bad. I do have to get quite a bit done or started at least this morning as I have my prayer shawl group meeting this afternoon. Of course this means that I won't be able to either finish hand quilting the last block, or do some knitting this evening, but I enjoy the time out with the ladies so very much. We are becoming very close.

My friend is taking her husband into the city to see his knee guy and get the staples out of his one knee (they will do the other a little bit later) on Tuesday so I will probably try to make it over there for coffee this morning. She sometimes needs a break from his demands and we sit outside for a bit, pretty soon we may even be able to take our coffee outside again.

I forgot to soak some seed last night (my moon flower seeds) to get them started and so will do that tonight.

Hubby and I discussed the side where the poor hosta plants are now struggling and we are going to dig them out, replace the mulch with perhaps some gravel or stone, and put a couple of large (and I mean large) pots of plants on it for a splash of colour. This will be the week I work on ideas for all my pots and hanging baskets and figure out a colour scheme if possible.

The other thing the two of us discussed is down sizing the office area in the dining room. This great big U-shaped desk takes up a great deal of room. We could perhaps go with something a bit smaller and add a bookcase or shelves of some kind to hold the files and papers. Both of us are going to keep our eyes open for something we like. Then this (we have already measured) set up could in fact be moved into my sewing room for all my machines to sit on. This means getting rid of those sewing cabinets, but I think those would be easier to rid the house of than this computer desk. Plans, plans, plans now whether they come to fruition or not is another story entirely.

Right now I am saving my allowances (what I don't spend) to purchase a smallish laptop computer. I will then be able to hook up my Cricut to that in my sewing room. It will also give me the ability to hook up my embroidery machine as well.

The moving around of furniture plans is giving me even more incentive to get through some of my yarn and fabric stash. If I want this to happen I need to make room for it to happen.

Supper tonight will be the package of Turkey Tetrazzini from the freezer. Along with a tossed salad we will be quite happy.

Today I am grateful that the days are getting longer, and I have lots of plans to keep me busy and entertained.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/