Words on a page...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Words on a page...

Post by floridacatlover »

You feel good so try to enjoy every day and believe that you will continue to feel good and defy the odds. As you say, they are just words on paper. They aren’t you. Put yourself in God’s hands (if you feel comfortable doing so) and live your life in whatever ways are most meaningful to you. Treat yourself well. I believe in you. (((Hugs)))
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm Randa....that is a "gut punch". I agree though that possibly your Dr. made it more serious to get you released from Jury Duty.
Hugs to you.
Agree!
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I do not know all the specifics regarding your condition but the way I interpreted that writing on the page was your doctor using strong language to excuse you from jury duty. I think he was, in a way, overstating the situation to relieve you of duty.
randamax wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:16 pm Over the past few days, I've had one of the most unsettling experiences of my life. It's just one of those things that, though I already know it, it's still sort of surreal to "see" it.

The other day I received a jury duty summons in the mail. Nothing new there - I get them a lot! For some reason, I seem to be the Jury Duty Queen. I've served on many juries in the past and was even called upon for Grand Jury service - a 6 month experience, thank you very much! And for some reason, it's always in Los Angeles! I never get the courts closest to my home. Anyway, I must say it's been about 2 years or so since I last received a summons, so I kinda wasn't surprised when it arrived.

I read the summons and, of course, it's for downtown LA. Now, it's not that it's that far from me, but getting around is no picnic. I've taken the Metro when I've served, so it does make the experience a bit easier, but it's still a lot of walking from place to place and it's just a bit overwhelming.

I talked to my family about it and said that I was going to try and get the service transferred to our local courts. No one thought that was a good idea, they all thought I should contact my doctor and have him excuse me. After giving it some thought, I agreed that it was probably a better solution. So. I contacted my oncologist and he said he would be happy to sign the form to excuse me from duty.

I took the form to his office the next day and the nurse took it in for the doc to sign. I didn't really look at the form when the nurse brought it back, I just checked to make sure it was completed in the area I'd highlighted. It wasn't until I got back to my car that I actually read the form. Under "Prognosis", it said "Poor"; when it came to the area that said "When will he/she be recovered enough to serve", he wrote "Never".

Now, in my mind, I know this. I've known this since the beginning, so it really isn't news. However, when you see it in black and white, it's kind of another story. I keep trying to tell myself that those are just words on a page. And while that's technically true, when the words are regarding your health, well, it makes it a bit more difficult to take.

Anyway. It was just a weird experience that made me feel a bit unsettled. Getting it out helps a lot. Thanks for listening!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with Floridacat on this. Enjoy this day as a gift from God.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I also think he was wording it strongly to make sure you are not called again. You have more than done your service as a citizen. (((Hugs)))

A friend in Texas was just about to start chemo for breast cancer when she was called to jury duty. As soon as she said "My oncologist recommends ..." when asked if there were reasons why she could not serve, the judge excused her before she could finish the sentence. I think oncologists must even scare lawyers!
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

randamax wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:16 pm Over the past few days, I've had one of the most unsettling experiences of my life. It's just one of those things that, though I already know it, it's still sort of surreal to "see" it.

The other day I received a jury duty summons in the mail. Nothing new there - I get them a lot! For some reason, I seem to be the Jury Duty Queen. I've served on many juries in the past and was even called upon for Grand Jury service - a 6 month experience, thank you very much! And for some reason, it's always in Los Angeles! I never get the courts closest to my home. Anyway, I must say it's been about 2 years or so since I last received a summons, so I kinda wasn't surprised when it arrived.

I read the summons and, of course, it's for downtown LA. Now, it's not that it's that far from me, but getting around is no picnic. I've taken the Metro when I've served, so it does make the experience a bit easier, but it's still a lot of walking from place to place and it's just a bit overwhelming.

I talked to my family about it and said that I was going to try and get the service transferred to our local courts. No one thought that was a good idea, they all thought I should contact my doctor and have him excuse me. After giving it some thought, I agreed that it was probably a better solution. So. I contacted my oncologist and he said he would be happy to sign the form to excuse me from duty.

I took the form to his office the next day and the nurse took it in for the doc to sign. I didn't really look at the form when the nurse brought it back, I just checked to make sure it was completed in the area I'd highlighted. It wasn't until I got back to my car that I actually read the form. Under "Prognosis", it said "Poor"; when it came to the area that said "When will he/she be recovered enough to serve", he wrote "Never".

Now, in my mind, I know this. I've known this since the beginning, so it really isn't news. However, when you see it in black and white, it's kind of another story. I keep trying to tell myself that those are just words on a page. And while that's technically true, when the words are regarding your health, well, it makes it a bit more difficult to take.

Anyway. It was just a weird experience that made me feel a bit unsettled. Getting it out helps a lot. Thanks for listening!
Randa I saw this when you first posted it and didn't know what to say. He should have thought about how it would come across in black and white and maybe called you orput in a note alongside it for you to collect.

I think he is just putting it down to ENSURE you aren't ever bothered again re jury service but ((((hugs)))) cos he didn't consider how upsetting it could come over to you.