Daily Check In March 22, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In March 22, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Off to take my pill, but thought I would start us off first.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In March 22, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Pill taken and fingers a bit wonky for typing, but thought I may as well start while I wait for coffee this morning.

Yep, the overheard conversation while shopping yesterday is true. The forecast is calling for a bit of snow to fall about the middle of next week. At least at this time of year it will not stick around if it happens. Good thing, I was getting used to an easy walk to get the mail with no worries about slipping and falling. No poles either as it is slightly muddy on the gravel end to our street.

I need to get a few things completed today. No goofing around for a change. Walls need to be washed in the living room, and the curtain hems raised just a touch. I also need to plant the moonflower seeds that have been soaking, and perhaps as the machine will be out and threaded get the infinity scarves sewn up as well. Then and only then can I declutter the other shelf in this computer desk or work on various other projects. You know the fun stuff!!!

I did get one set of shelves in the computer desk cleaned out yesterday afternoon. Took a little while, but I love the fact that all the old computer games are now gone. They are in the donation pile, perhaps someone else will enjoy them.

I also need to get down to the chest freezer and do a bit of switching around. I told Hubby to put what little meat I bought along with the 2 loaves of bread into the chest freezer. I need to move the meat to the meat freezer and repackage a bit of it for long term storage.

Frugally speaking this will be a no spend, catch up kind of day. My throat is a bit scratchy still, so I am really considering not going out the door at all today. I think the sudden up swing in temperature is making me want to wear a lighter coat or no coat at all...not a good thing when there is still snow around. I may have to spend sometime looking for a spring and fall coat this year.

Hubby plans on going out today and chipping even more ice away from the house. We don't want water getting in again as the basement has not been finished for very long. He also wants to make sure that all the ice is melted or gone from the eaves troughs and pull even more seeds and leaves off the covering grill.

Supper tonight is going to be Salmon fillets, leftover rice, asparagus (got to use it all up), and sliced carrots. Should fill us up.

Today I am grateful for the warm shawl I have wrapped around my shoulders. There is a bit of a chill in the house this morning.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

I did not sleep well and I’m feeling agitated this morning but will try to work through it.

How ‘Bout Those Gators! Yes, my University of Florida basketball team upset Nevada in the NCAA game. They almost threw it away in the second half but held on to win. Very exciting game. I enjoyed listening on the radio. Later found out that I think the games are available to watch free on NCAA.com. Will check that out on Saturday but may stick with the radio. Libby, congrats to your Wildcats who crushed Abilene Christian.

Yesterday I did not find a good selection of the type of curtains I wanted at JC Penney. Most except sheers had big grommet headings. I need rod pocket. I may just order online but first today will look at Home Goods and Tuesday Morning.

I’ll go to mom’s house to put the trash can in the garage. May do a bit of laundry to test the repaired machine. Repair guy tested it but of course did not run it the full cycle.

Dentist visit was great. I probably go more often than necessary but worth it to me to avoid problems. I love my dentist. My friend just had her second tooth implant (she goes to a periodontist) for $4k a pop.

I’ll watch skating later today. Already know the overnight results. My girl Evgenia Medvedeva who came within a hair’s breath of not even making the World Championships won the bronze medal. Thrilled for her.

I got two books at the library. A cat mystery by Rita Mae Brown and a non-fiction on Cuba by a journalist. Both sound good.

I almost forgot my one frugality of the day. I took an online survey from the place I get Pippi’s Rx food food through my vet. Earned a $10 gift card of my choice for Starbucks, Panera, Target or Amazon. I’ll take Starbucks.

Have a good day.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Rainy day again here, but then it is Spring.

I've decided to give up on trying to lose weight for awhile. I put on a few pounds again during the winter and it just won't come off. I'm not going to starve myself either because you lose muscle, not fat when you diet that way. I've added an hour worth of walking back into my schedule 5 days a week, which isn't easy to do in my apartment. But one needs the exercise for health reasons to help ward off dementia as well as diabetes. I was going to take trips to the senior center this winter to walk but just couldn't find the energy to do it.

Meals are boring (but challenging for me) right now with it being Lent. Today I will have a salad and hard boiled egg for lunch with pancakes for supper (of course I'll miss the bacon).

TV is also hodge podge right now as many of the networks have ended the fall/winter programming and some of the newer shows just don't appeal to me. Oh well . . . not much I can do about that.

I still have many things I need to get rid of, some of which are of seasonal appeal. Unfortunately I don't have a place where I can take everything out and put it there until I'm ready to take it to Goodwill. I can only make a list until such time as the day comes when I'm ready.

Well guess I'll be on my way for now. Have a wonderful day all.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. We are having rather chilly mornings ( 35 F ) (2 C ) with a wind chill of (29 F) ( -2 C) however it is suppose to warm up to around (59 F) today.. woo hoo.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and to the bank as well as to Petco. Got $5.00 off at Ruler with their coupon and bought a small spiral ham for my Easter dinner. I decided I would use the coupon towards my ham so it will only cost around $1.42 plus tax for my ham. It is amazing how things are so much cheaper there. The same ham brand is sold at another local chain store and cost at least $3.00 or $4.00 dollars more. Went to Petco to buy Teddi some dog food..He has not been wanting to eat and I have tried things home cooked. I finally bought him some more expensive fresh food which is beef, bison, spinach, blueberries and cranberries. He scarfed it down. So we are back to dog food from Petco. I drove my car since I used up my one day a week out of the house with my aide on Monday. Teddi and my aide went with me but they both stayed in the car.. I was so tired last night I fell asleep in my chair and woke up about 5:30 AM with Teddi sleeping in my lap.

I have had a vicious headache all week and have been using my nose spray from the Dr but no relief. While sitting at my computer in my bedroom last night I realized I could smell the scented trash bag in the hallway. I decided to move it out in to the garage. I bought a huge box of trash can bags from Amazon without thinking about the scent. I have 110 of these bags that will last me forever. So I had to move the box out of the storage closet in to the garage as well since I could smell them every time I went past the closet to my bedroom or utility room.. Bummer. This morning no headache and I did not use the medicine last night since I fell asleep in my chair so it was the scented trash bags that were making me have the headache.

Have a good and frugal day..
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Friday morning all,

After the excellent back workout shoveling and moving mulch most of the afternoon yesterday, I am pleased with the result and with the fact that my back is not sore. I worked more slowly than I usually do, but is stayed at it until dark. We ate late, almost 8 pm. Not what I prefer, but can't be in both places. It was a good evening to work since the breeze kept the mosquitoes away. The mulch pile in the front yard is much smaller. I had thought it would not last to complete the mulching, but it will barely.

The wind is supposed to switch to the east, so I will work on the west side of the house which is the back yard. I have many piles of leaves there to pick up. I may actually win the leaf challenge this year.

Tonight, we will eat the last beef roast from the freezer. That leaves only a tray of chicken breasts and several turkey breasts in the chest freezer. I plan to freeze another gallon of water in the bottom of the freezer in case we lose power for any reason. Losing power is common here in the sticks. They get it back on faster now that we are surrounded by fancy developments. Rich people do not put up with power loss like us rural people. But it still happens.

Today, I will have to break off work early to go to a visitation. A neighbor's husband died and I will go and pay my respects. I have a black outfit with a black hat. I wear hats a lot. Either military style bill hats when I work or big brim hats when I go out.

Today, I am grateful that I can do my own yard work, at least some of it. Have a good day everyone. My thoughts are with all those who are suffering from weather tragedy. The mid-central western US floods, Australia cyclone and the African cyclones.