Do You Have any "Side Hustles" to Make Money?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Do You Have any "Side Hustles" to Make Money?

Post by gaylejackson2 »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:35 pm One of my middle brothers got his license at 15 - hardship case

The other able drivers in my family (older brothers and sister) had graduated and moved out, my dad worked and mom didn't drive. So he would take us to school and take my mom where she needed to go when my father wasn't around

We all got our licenses at 16. Nowadays they wait longer.
Here in Utah, students can get their learner permits as soon as they turn 15 (ds14 can get his just 3 days after school starts this fall), then you can get their offical driving license after they a) turn 16, and b) take a driver's education course. We'll arrange for ds14 to take Driver's Ed next spring so he can get his license next sumer.

With a learner's permit, students can drive with adults over 18, perferably only parents or legal guardians. Then they are to only drive family members for the first 6 month after getting their license -- ds16 ignored that, but we chose not to make an issue of it.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Mu craft book is on Homeade gifts for the non crafty that they will love to get. Non sew, low sew, gourmet and the like. Looking for testers now but the name may be the hardest thing.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

You certainly won't find high school aged school bus drivers here in Ontario! Drivers here are put through a very vigorous process only one notch below a transport truck driver (Class B). School bus drivers must also pass a physical requirements test, be qualified in Standard First Aid and CPR and also pass a criminal reference check (at their expense!)Needless to say you must also be a minimum age of 21. Depending on the school board you are also subject to further mandatory training such as non violent crises intervention and sensitivity training (being respectful of all individuals regardless of gender, age, race, religion or size). Ontario has the most vigorous driver's license process in all of Canada, with three different tiers. You cannot even apply for the written test (your G1) until age 16 and must wait a full year before going for your test to drive alone, under certain conditions (your G2). For example, you are not allowed to drive after dark, with other passengers aside from licensed family members, and you are not allowed to drive on certain highways such as Highway 401. After this full year you can then take the test to become a fully licensed driver without any conditions (class G). Standards are very strict and only about 50% of people pass their G2 on the first try. So nobody can even get a class G license until they are age 18. Car insurance rates are astronomical for young drivers especially if you haven't taken driver's training. If you come to live in Ontario from another country, your driver's license from that other country is only valid for 6 months. After this time you must go through the license process the same as a first time driver.

Quite frankly I find it a little shocking that there aren't stricter standards in the U.S. My dd went through the process in both countries and found it much harder in Ontario. It's a bit mind boggling that someone as young as 15 can apply for a driver's license.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Each state has their own requirements for licensing teenagers to drive. Illinois is pretty strict. They weren't when I was a kid. At 15 You took classroom instruction, took a written and vision test, got a lerner's permit, learned behind the wheel both with a school instructor and whatever adults, and then got your license at 16.

And then you and twelve of your friends piled into some big old Lincoln and drove to school in deep snow with no defrost, LOL Not kidding....a really skinny girl named Lucinda was always the last one in, laying across the pile of us in the back seat, LOL

Now it's "graduated" with a lot of restrictions and you're not fully licensed until you're 18.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publ ... d_a132.pdf
ohjodi
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm Each state has their own requirements for licensing teenagers to drive. Illinois is pretty strict. They weren't when I was a kid. At 15 You took classroom instruction, took a written and vision test, got a lerner's permit, learned behind the wheel both with a school instructor and whatever adults, and then got your license at 16.

And then you and twelve of your friends piled into some big old Lincoln and drove to school in deep snow with no defrost, LOL Not kidding....a really skinny girl named Lucinda was always the last one in, laying across the pile of us in the back seat, LOL

Now it's "graduated" with a lot of restrictions and you're not fully licensed until you're 18.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publ ... d_a132.pdf
yep - i remember when Jaws came out on the big screen. About ten of us piled up in my grandfathers old Valiant. The oldest one in the group was probably the driver - my sister. All of 16! We went to the big city cinema to watch it. I don't think my parents were even worried. About a 60 mile round trip.

We did train with an instructor during the summer. He would take us to the big city - San Antonio, so we could practice driving on the freeways. Which was great.

I was in high school when i would take my mom to go see my grandfather when he was in a hospital in downtown San Antonio. I don't even go there now. But when i was 17 - it was a breeze to me. LOL
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Quilter51 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:02 pm Mu craft book is on Homeade gifts for the non crafty that they will love to get. Non sew, low sew, gourmet and the like. Looking for testers now but the name may be the hardest thing.
Oh I love the sound of that! It sound so fun!!