Do You Have any "Side Hustles" to Make Money?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: Do You Have any "Side Hustles" to Make Money?

Post by ohjodi »

My sister is a school bus aide. She doesn't drive the bus, just keeps an eye on the kids, really. Her routes are just under 1.5 hours each, before and after school, for grade school and junior high kids. $12/hr. She was also offered a lunch time route for 3-4 year olds, and she'll start that in a few days.

She likes it. It's easy. The pay is more than enough for groceries and such, and the added hours now will be nice. She lives just three blocks from the bus lot. Weekends and holidays off. And in the summer, the drivers and aides are eligible for unemployment, believe it or not. In Illinois, a lot of public school employees get unemployment pay in the summers.

The driver she works with is actually my neighbor, who is otherwise retired.
ohjodi
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

What do you mean by sales page exactly?
clemencia2us wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:24 pm No but i should.

I am thinking of starting a sales page just for my small town. I hate dealing with anyone else.

There are a lot of things i want to get rid of and i don't want to give them away!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

delighted99 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:02 pm What do you mean by sales page exactly?
on facebook
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:25 pm Sheila. I have thought about going back to Amazon selling g and reselling. Because I enjoy the search, I've also considered just doing vintage and craft and sell them on Amazon. I'm also doing upcycling these days. But so far all for me.

I.am working on a craft book. Who knows if it will make money
Good luck with your craft book Quilter! Let us know!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

ohjodi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 pm My sister is a school bus aide. She doesn't drive the bus, just keeps an eye on the kids, really. Her routes are just under 1.5 hours each, before and after school, for grade school and junior high kids. $12/hr. She was also offered a lunch time route for 3-4 year olds, and she'll start that in a few days.
Your sister's side hustle reminded me of my jr year of high school, I was the a.m. bus monitor for the kindergarten bus a friend drove her sr year.

The high point was when she passed out after the door closing mechanism (this was the early 1980s in a bus from the 70s, they probably have something safer now?) crushed her finger. No way was she driving after that. Had to get help. No cell phones back then. The kid we just picked up's mother had left for work... I RAN over 2 miles in one direction (got snagged by a dog who didn't like people getting too close to its yard, too, but just a surface scrape, the bugger didn't get a good grip) to find someone home with a phone who'd let me use it to call the school so they could get another bus or driver sent out, then ran all the way BACK to the bus to wait with her and the kids.

Not the best day. Late for class. Hair was a disaster.

For some reason my kids think the whole thing is hilarious.

Every time I read a story about a driver keeling over and kids having to handle the bus I thank God our bus was still in 'park.' It could have been soooo much worse than it was. Those back country roads didn't have shoulders.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 pm Your sister's side hustle reminded me of my jr year of high school, I was the a.m. bus monitor for the kindergarten bus a friend drove her sr year.

The high point was when she passed out after the door closing mechanism (this was the early 1980s in a bus from the 70s, they probably have something safer now?) crushed her finger. No way was she driving after that. Had to get help. No cell phones back then. The kid we just picked up's mother had left for work... I RAN over 2 miles in one direction (got snagged by a dog who didn't like people getting too close to its yard, too, but just a surface scrape, the bugger didn't get a good grip) to find someone home with a phone who'd let me use it to call the school so they could get another bus or driver sent out, then ran all the way BACK to the bus to wait with her and the kids.

Not the best day. Late for class. Hair was a disaster.

For some reason my kids think the whole thing is hilarious.

Every time I read a story about a driver keeling over and kids having to handle the bus I thank God our bus was still in 'park.' It could have been soooo much worse than it was. Those back country roads didn't have shoulders.
How terrifying! I'm glad you could run four miles! Makes me wonder why school buses didn't at least have CB radios, back then.

Amazing that they let a teenager drive the bus at all! When I was 14 I was a candy striper volunteer at the hospital. In the pharmacy. Sorting and delivering drugs and IV's to the nurses' stations. Including morphine drip bags. I'd open and shelve boxes of pills as they came in. I knew what codine was. God only knows what else I was stocking. I also assembled syringe kits with various vials of who knows what.

But they made us pass a wheelchair safety test! LOL

I keep editing more to this because I keep remembering things.....they built a new main building and parking garage, and on the big day of the open house, I was stationed in the garage, and my job was to turn a key to lift the gate arms to let invited guests in and out for free. For four hours. ALONE in the parking garage, and the last hour was dark.

That was crazy.
ohjodi