Daily Check In June 12, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In June 12, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get coffee, back soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In June 12, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is a bit hazy out this morning, or at least the tops of the hills across the valley are a bit out of focus. I am hoping for a nice day as we need to travel and pick up our TV once we get a call from the store that it has arrived. Then the fun part of setting it up happens.

I have a feeling Hubby might try to convince me to buy a new stand for it sometime within the next week or so, but I am perfectly content with the one I have (sure it is about 30 years old, but it still functions). Perhaps at some point down the line, when we change the carpet and buy new furniture (budget is going to get hit that year big time).

It will be strange having not had TV for over a week to actually being able to watch my shows on time and not on my tablet. My one box will not be hooked up though as I need youngest DS to do that for me. Too much fiddling with computers and adding things on through the box for me to handle. I don't even think he could talk me through it all over video chat.

I have a short list of chores to do today and should be able to finish the quilt today. I think this will be what I take for the silent auction. I am running out of time to get other things done. Where do all the hours in a day go?

Changed my mind over supper last night. I had orphan veggies to use up and a package of frozen roast pork caught my eye.... What better way to use things up than a massive stir fry. I had enough left over to make youngest DS a tin foil meal, with a bit leftover for one of our lunches. Did a great job cleaning out the crisper drawer. Still a ways to go yet, but today is another day where items can be used.

Frugally speaking, this will be another no spend day (TV was paid for when ordered), once again I hope to be too busy to even think about spending. I will also be making up my shopping list and gathering what coupons I can. As I said before we are getting fewer and fewer of those. In fact we haven't had an coupon insert in the paper for probably 9 months now. Perhaps companies in Canada are no longer doing so.

I will be walking for my exercise, looking for more orphan bits and balls of the finer yarn (must go downstairs at some point and look through totes), rethreading my machine to start sewing clothing, and perhaps getting the iron on transfers ready to make my embroidered tea towels. I also need to roll some coin (if I can find the coin wrappers). Rhubarb needs to be picked again as well, hopefully more to come as I only have a couple of bags to put in the freezer so far.

Supper tonight will be pork chops (hopefully done on the BBQ) along with tinfoil packet potatoes (also on the BBQ) and the leftover salad.

Today I am grateful that Hubby loves his new living room quilt and I could rid us of the one that has been mended so often and had the binding coming off.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is chilly and overcast with possible severe storms later on. The river has crested and starting to go down. It is at 38 ft but it has to go to 32 before they can come in and clear the road in front of my brother's house.

Not much going on here. I am tired due to lack of sleep however I did get about 4 hours sleep last night.

I will be puttering in the kitchen. Although yesterday I had a simple lunch of an apple with peanut butter and a handful of peanuts and dinner was half of a bag of broccoli with shredded cheese. Later a snack of an apple with a handful of walnuts. They were simple but also enjoyable. I might repeat them today. Thinking more and more of going back to being an vegetarian or a flexatrian.. I just am not into meat.

Have a good and frugal day.
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ... Looking like a nice day here.

Think I've been doing a bit too much: my back and shoulders are complaining. But have gotten a fair amount accomplished.
I put up the lighter patio door curtains yesterday, but darned if I can find all the hooks that go with it. Obviously put them in too safe a place. Had to improvise a couple. Perhaps they'll turn up in my decluttering efforts.
Today, think I'll ease off a bit. Do have some fresh green beans to blanch for the freezer. Seeing higher produce prices, so hoping my garden will produce well this year.
Getting together with some friends tonight, looking forward to that!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I was too busy the last 2 days to wash my hair and change my bed. I will do it again on Monday so it will be fresh when I come home. I have the bottom sheet on the bed.

I mixed up a batch of blueberry oatmeal muffins for breakfast.

I decided that I would wash my quilt today. Then tomorrow I will do a load of dresses and the sheets.

My quilt is in the dryer. I know it will take much longer to dry, It is much wetter then my old washer left it. Plus my dryer is small.

Penny
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

We had some rain last night so no need for me to water the flower pots and garden this morning. It sunny but cool so perfect weather for outdoor walking club. I will have to wear a fleece hoodie though as currently it's only 12 degrees C or 53 F. Our expected high is only 18 degrees or 64 F. We walk near the lake so the temperatures are always a little cooler there.

Last night dh BBQed some hamburgers and veggie skewers. They made for such a nice change! We very rarely have grilled food. There are enough leftover for tonight's meal, supplemented with a fresh salad. My burgers were veggie burgers, of course! Dd loves hamburgers but we don't have them often as they're not really healthy.

Dh has already left for golf and dd is away at work so I have the house to myself for a bit. I enjoyed some time already outside on our deck, reading some magazines borrowed from the library. I am really enjoying our long days of sunshine but do find I am waking up even earlier. No matter how I try it's hard for me to sleep past 5:30 am.

I hope to make this a no-spend day. Dh and I are happy to have remedied a couple of annoying tasks. He removed our screen door and took it to a place that checked out the casters. They only needed cleaning but in order to do that the repair person needed to remove the screen. He replaced the screen, cleaned out the casters and now the screen door is working like new! Dh was able to reinstall the door without any difficulties. So for the cost of $25.00 we thought that was a steal! Dh also replaced a part on our outdoor faucet so I no longer get an unintended shower whenever I use the hose. Thank goodness for You-Tube videos. Dh found one from a female plumber who was able to explain things so well. The replacement part was less than $10.00 but the convenience is priceless! But this is what happens when your home is nearly 30 years old. No matter how hard you try to take care of things, parts will eventually wear out and have to be replaced. Our next project is to stain the deck floor. We had finished the railings and top of the railing and steps last year before dh had dislocated his shoulder. For the most part we have removed the peeling stain from the deck floor. But we'd really like it to warm up a bit more before we stain it, as if it's not completely dried out the water will bubble through. It it holds up for another 30 years we should be fine as we'll no longer be living here - unless we stay till we're in our 90's and in dh's case 100's!

Owned by Dogs I hope you're holding up well and that your dh has a speedy recovery!
Creative