Daily check in June 13, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in June 13, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in June 13, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

This morning on the walk with my neighbor, I was able to pick up about 5 nice canna flower roots from the trash. I saw the guy cut them down on Wednesday, but he looked like he was in a bad mood, so I decided to just wait until trash day. I think I got most of the best ones. I just tossed them in the yard. I will plant them later.

My neighbor and I walked a long way yesterday and we both "knew" it this morning. She said she must have pulled a muscle because her thigh hurt a little. My knee definitely knew I had walked a long way yesterday. It was angry later and I had to retreat to the bed and use the heating pad. Later spend some time in the wheelchair. But it got better over night, so I was able to do some this morning. It was hot and humid this morning and we were playing chicken with the garbage truck, so we cut it short. I told her we could wear stinky stuff(pain cream) in the morning and no one would bother us. We both laughed.

I also took a second short walk with hubs yesterday after getting back from the first walk. We stopped and talked to the bad back lady and her husband. It smelled good passing their house. He was smoking jerky meat. He said he nicknamed her shovel shark because of the brace. I said I was all puffy, so they nicknamed me puffy fish. Everyone laughed. That is their style.

I got the electric bill yesterday. I had hoped that the usage would be a lot lower due to insulation, but it wasn't. However, last year during the same month, it rained every day. Stayed cloudy. This year was the hottest May month on record. And sunny and dry. I suspected the well pump costs would be high. Hubs said it would have been a lot worse without the added insulation.

Today, I will do some shopping at the big Walmart. I have decided to take an old hose and make it into several short ones. They have kits for it. The cost of a new 10 ft hose is as much as a 50 ft hose in many cases. Doesn't seem right to me, so I will make my own. I will also pick up steaks at save a lot on the way back. They are on sale cheaper than a roast. Of course, not as cheap as so called boneless beef neck meat, but can't always get that.

Normal frugal things around the house. Yesterday, in a discussion about the sink, I explained to hubs why I keep the small bucket on the left side of the sink. That side drains poorly. He said the grease trap should be cleaned. I said why bother when the plumbing under the sink will all be replace in a couple of months when I get the new accessible kitchen. The bucket catches the water and the grease off dishes and it all goes out on then flowers in a pot outside. I scrapped the grease off the inside of the bucket and said this is what doesn't go down the sink. It was impressive. Then realizing he didn't understand much about why I do what I do, I asked him if he understood why I keep a tube of old toothpaste in the kitchen. I then demonstrated how excellent toothpaste is in removing rusty water stains on dishes. He had no idea.

Today, I am grateful that the puffy in my face and hands has gone down. It was uncomfortable. Have a good day everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have a slight headache this morning, but hopefully being out and about will get rid of the darn thing. I really dislike not feeling tip top on shopping days. It sometimes means that I do not spend the time necessary to get a good bargain.

TV is up and running. It did take research into how to set it up online. I will never understand why the companies no longer give out good set up instructions. Instead they seem to think everyone has access to a computer. Today I will be fine tuning things on it. We might even get rid of the surround sound as the television itself does much of what that did. I will get what I can functioning and then give youngest DS a call or text to see when he is coming home and ask him to set up the rest.

This afternoon Hubby and I will need to go to the bank and sign some papers. We got talked into having a Line of Credit..... We don't need it, but just in case of an emergency somewhere down the line it might be nice to have. The other item of banking will be taking in some of the rolled coin. I hope to have it all done by the end of next week. It is really heavy and taking bits in at a time when doing errands makes sense to me.

The rest of the day will be spent, watering the garden, sewing the binding on the quilt, getting the sewing machine threaded for the next project, doing household tasks, and reading some more of the second Anne Cleaves novel I got from the library. So just another day here on the old homestead.

Frugally speaking while this will not be a no spend day, I am going to try and keep things as low as possible. With prices continually rising I think that shopping the sales will be a constant in our lives. I also want to plot out some gardening for next year. I think some of my planters will go towards veggies rather than flowers. Heck eggplant or peppers growing in a long planter just might look great and save a bit of room in the garden for other types of veggies.

Supper tonight is going to be a bag of leftover frozen ham made into something wonderful (just not sure what as of yet...there are still some bits and bobs that need using). I have also rethought Sunday supper, and as it is Father's day and steak is on sale I am going to treat Hubby.

Today I am grateful for the damp ground I woke up to. It wasn't much rain, but every tiny little bit helps.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. It is a chilly ( 59 F) ( 15 C) but suppose to warm up in to ( 77 F ) (25 C ). I was up early and have taken my trash to my brothers house.. A wild turkey ran across the the yard as I pulled up. I love seeing the wild life.
Now have all of Teddi's fleecy throws and blankets in the washing machine and will hang them on the clotheslines in the garage. They will smell so nice this afternoon when I bring them in.

Yesterday I dismantled the wood bed frame in the spare room. I was able to slide the side boards and slats down the steps. It has carpeting and it was so easy to slide things down. Hopefully it will stay dry enough until tomorrow and I can put the foot board in the trunk of my car and drive it down to the lower level. If not it is not overly heavy and I can carry it down the hill to the basement. I am leaving the head board for now..Anyway the spare bedroom itself is almost completely done. Do need to move more Christmas boxes to the craft room but at least the room is straightened out and the workmen can get up in to the attic through the hatch in the closet when they need to.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Slept well, I wore myself out doing yardwork as was my intention. Little sore but only because I used muscles that hadn't been used for awhile. It's all good.

It is dark , gray and looks like rain today. Definitely cold outside. I plan to do inside work today. going to try to get back to my old ways of good weather work outside, crummy weather work inside.

I have chicken breast thawing for grilling and topping our supper salad tonight. I will make some biscuits in the roaster/cooker to go with the salad.

I need to go to town and refill allergy meds, will combine the trip with a trip to the recycle depot tomorrow morning, their large containers are full up so will wait till they empty them tomorrow AM.

Going to sort out my recipe for a salad I used to make with ramen noodles, sounds weird I know but is really good.
I can't believe it is the middle of June and the temp here is 53 degrees, I wonder if this cool wet trend will continue all summer?
Off to get started, have a good day all.
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

It is a nice sunny cool morning. Not super cold, but comfortable.

I slept pretty good too. Now if i dind't have to get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities - would have been even better.

I think i was just super sleepy from not getting enough rest the night before.

I'm having my second cup of coffee and relaxing in my pjs.

Some people think i am nuts when i say, there is no need to put on real clothes before 10am! :mrgreen: