Daily check in June 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily check in June 16, 2019

Post by ChristmasTrees »

jckitty wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:15 am Good morning all,

Happy Fathers Day to all, my first without my daddy. It's okay, I will go to the cemetery today and I know he knows I am thinking of him.
I also need to go to dads house to clean out the fridge and to make beds and do some chores.

We went last night to a Texas Roadhouse for son in laws Fathers Day celebration and it was fun. I ate too much ….not used to eating that much. It was good to be with my family. I brought over half of my dinner home with me.
Today beside going to dads I have some small chores to do around home. No cooking needed as salads are made and things are ready for "heat and eat".
Lots of storms and damage to Indiana yesterday. I have some limbs to clean up but nothing like south of us, so much destruction and water.

I have a driveway guy coming tomorrow afternoon, I need gravel and grading done. It has been on my to-do list for months but with all I was doing had no time to deal with it so tomorrow is the day. Something I can mark off my to do list.
I have things on my list that because of timing will wait till next year.
Have a great day all,
JCKitty
Thinking of you today. The "firsts" are always hard.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

IT is a nice breezy morning. Nice and chilly in my bedroom.

I slept well last night. My pup patient didn't want to go out until almost 730.

I went ahead and stayed up and had my coffee. Only had one cup. Coffee just doesn't seem to appeal to me now for some reason.

I'm dressed and ready to go to my biweekly church volunteer thing.

Hope all have a great day
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:24 am Good morning frugal folks,

Today is starting out as an overcast Father's Day Sunday. I will be making sausage and sauerkraut for hubs today. He likes that kind of food. The kids may call. Otherwise, we will simply spend the day smelling all the neighbors grilling out.

We have been getting rain regularly and my garden prefers that form of water over the irrigation water. I prefer it too. Water from the well is not free and my electric bill reflects it. Sadly, between the hottest May on record and nearly 30 days without rain in May/June, my electric bill rivaled the monthly usage of last summer before insulation. Since it has started raining this past week and more overcast days, less water use and less ac should make for a more frugal June/July bill.

Hubs confirmed the arrangements for the July trip, but we still need to request a wheelchair as suggested by Floridacat. Hubs still only walks about a block when he walks. Not enough to get through an airport.

I remain fairly inactive thanks to the bad knee. I am hopeful it will continue to heal as a result of all the rest. Meanwhile, my muscles become fat. My neighbor with spinal deterioration is recovering from her latest operation, several disks fused and a new metal rod in her back. We chat from time to time. Snowbird is headed north for the summer. A quiet neighborhood.

Today, I am grateful for overcast skies and that I hire the grass mowed. Have a lovely Father's Day all.

Dg when I went to Mexico my friend I both requested wheel chairs. She has had two strokes. She is ambulatory with walking sticks. They were amazing. They were right there waiting for us at the exit of the plane. We had a lay over in Texas and the young man asked me if I needed to stop at the restroom before he took me to the gate. Told him I was ok. He came back about an hour later to check on me to see if I needed to go to the restroom. No thank you.. Even in Mexico we had someone waiting for us. We were through customs and out the door before we knew what was going on. We each did give them a $10.00 tip because basically they work for tips. You might want to throw caution to the wind and have a wheelchair for yourself as well. Those airports have long corridors and you might stress your knee out before you even get started on your trip.

I am having sauerkraut and kielbasa for my dinner. I had planned on making hot German potato salad but I am too tired. So I will open a box of Au Gratin potatoes that I keep in the pantry for days like today. It is not healthy to eat all the time but nice to have on days when I am tired.

Happy Father's Day to your DH.
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon ...

Kitty, (((hugs))).

The sun is finally out ... we had torrential rain into the night. Storm damage to the south and in the southeast portion of my city. But we seem to be OK.

Was going to start cleaning out my closet today and continue on windows/curtains but not feeling up to it. Have other things I can take care of ... did get in a load of laundry and will make some more headway on dishes. Leftover baked chicken for dinner tonight, perhaps with some fresh kale.

Otherwise, not much else going on ...
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Teddi seems somewhat better. I had to pop the pill in to the back of this throat yesterday afternoon he could not be enticed to eat it hidden in any kind of food. He slept in the recliner in my bedroom until 8:00 PM. I would check on him and he would open his eyes and go back to sleep. Then at 8:00 PM I thought he needed to go out to potty. He gladly went out and did #1 tried #2 but nothing. He came back in and ran over to where I usually feed him.. He liked at the spot and looked at me and then looked at the spot as if to say..Hey woman get with the program. Where is my food? lol.. I sliced some of the rotisserie chicken and cut it up in to small bites. I did not want to overload him since he had not eaten since Thursday night. He scarfed it down and begged for more. I did give him more but decided to see how well he handled it. Later I gave him a hard boiled egg chopped up. A favorite of his. He was like a new pup. He took his pill at midnight hidden in some cheese balls I made with American cheese. He went out at 10:00 PM no bowel movement but he tried. Then around 1:00 AM he needed to go out again. You have not lived until you are outside in your nightgown at 1:00 AM with a flashlight following a little dog around to see what kind of bowel movement he has. I have an acre and a half where he can roam and he kept running further out. Almost to the road. Maybe he covered 3/4 of acre I think he was trying to stimulate his bowels. Oh how could I forget. We had had storms off and on since around 9:00 PM. at 1:00 AM we did have a lull in the torrential rain and wind. It had stopped but lightening was flashing all around us in the distance and wave two or three, I forget now what, was moving in.. He barely squeezed something out. Has not done anything this morning except for #1.. My neighbor is cutting my grass right now and after he leaves I will take Teddi out to see if he is able to do better. He has been better since last night with his eating and more himself. Hopefully we can get his bowels going again and things will be ok.
Janet Alliesmama
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

Dh's hives flared up again last night so he was up at 4:00 am to take an antihistamine. He's had this problem off and on for years but it's been decades since the last flare-up. Thankfully the over the counter medication gives him some relief.

Yesterday I had weeded the perennial garden so it is looking nice. Dh also cut the grass so our back yard really does feel like an oasis! I just wish it was warmer so I could sit out there and enjoy it without a jacket and almost gloves! We're still having a very chilly start to our summer. I did give all the flowers in the pot a splash of water as it's been a few days since our last rain.

Dh and I still got our jog in so I always feel better after that. Dd gave dh a beautiful card, bought him some Pad Thai and Tiramisu cake and a special edition golf magazine. Other dd called last week as she is camping and hiking all weekend at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. It is so beautiful there and will be a nice break for her from the hustle and bustle of Denver. It is the end of her teaching term so both our dd's have planned a trip to Calgary for this upcoming week. They will be visiting an equally breath-taking park - namely Banff!

I will just be pottering around the house today. I've been looking at copy cat recipes of Olive Garden's Minestrone soup to try. There are also quite a few vlogs I could catch up on and I have a book that I have halfway read. Dh has lots of sports to watch on tv so he'll occupy himself that way. I won't be going out but may go for a walk or bike ride if I feel antsy.

Have a wonderful day everyone and I extend a happy day to all those fathers out there! And thinking of all of those of us (myself included) who no longer have a father living on earth but smiling from above.

Creative