Daily check in July 2, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily check in July 2, 2019

Post by floridacatlover »

Gale53150 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:20 pm Wow, very scary. Very smart to lock the doors when working outside. I hear about these types of scams. He should be arrested for "training" his child. What kind of mentoring is that? What a horrible life. . And yes, you go girl.
Thank you. I usually leave the garage door open when I’m cutting the back yard (which I was not doing today) but from now on I’ll close the door when I’m cutting. Not much in the garage to steal but I have some high-quality garden tools.

I’m also going to be sure to lock my car when it’s in the driveway. I “usually” do but now I’ll be more careful.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Wow Floridacat, that is horrible.
I am bad about not shutting and locking doors while working outside, I have a large acreage and am all over it. I will be changing my ways!

My eye appointment went well, new glasses picked out and ordered, will be taking the script for contacts somewhere cheaper. They are basic so no need to have them fitted or tweaked.
Salads for supper, so hot. Tomorrow I plan to make some baked beans. Not a lot but enough to be able to heat and eat with the different salads I make.
I will need to make my tomorrows to-do list this evening, if I don't I am afraid will fritter the day away.

DD wanted to have a fire tonight, I let her burn the front small brush pile....hot and messy ….she loves to burn brush even in this gawd-awful heat.
off to do whatever,
JCKitty
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:45 pm OMG, I just had a very scary incident at mom’s house.

To try to condense it, I was in the back yard changing the water for the birds. I guy and little boy came back and said he needed to measure the property line for tree trimming. Said it was his day off and that’s why his boy was with him I was hesitant but let him come into the yard. The more he said, the more I realized something was wrong. I know for years there’s been a scam to get the person into the back yard and then the other guy steals things in the house. Sure enough there was another guy heading for the truck. Luckily my doors were all locked. I’m screaming at them both - you liar, f-ing liar, f-ing, f-ing liars. I got the license tag as they drove away. Go me! Nothing was stolen. My purse was on the sofa righ near the front door but he didn’t get in. Garage door was closed.

I called the Sheriffs Office and told them everything. Two deputies came to the house and asked a lot of questions. Finally one pulled up a photo of the truck owner and it was the guy in the back yard. He’s on probation for burglary! Not sure if they can do anything to him for this incident.

Sheriffs Dept. will check the house this week and next when I’m on vacation. I set up a timer for a light.

My mom’s neighborhood has always been safe but I guess nothing is safe any more. There is nothing in the house worth stealing but I’d hate to see furniture etc. damaged.

Sheriff’s deputy said I did good. Said “You go girl” when I told him all the swear words I used. I think my mom would have been proud of me.
WOW! THAT is scary! One time I went to my dh who got into a car accident(teen driver's first day with her license and driving and texting on the cell as she went through a red light!). Our car was totaled! So since it was only a few blocks from my home, I luckily left my purse at home in a panic. I parked alongside the accident and was talking to the hysterical teenager trying to calm her down. Then she stopped and said there is a guy looking into your car!!! His car was on the other side of the road waiting in the middle of that one lane and he had gone to my suv looking through the window to see I guess if I had a purse or something to steal and I yelled at him HEY... and he got into his car and quickly drove away! Like sheesh-taking advantage of a situation/accident like that. Oh and I had locked my car when she told me-but I think I always lock it automatically anyway as soon as I get out. Even filling my gas I make sure I lock my car bc I hear people steal stuff as you get gas even!

I was just reading about if any emergency crisis hits the US you want to be in the wealthy neighborhoods and NOT in the ACCEPT EBTs in the storefronts type of location! Oh great...that is all we have out here! The author who is rich was telling in the book that during Hurrican Katrina a wealthy suburb area hired Israeli mercenaries to guard their neighborhood-like you want to be there in those areas! Since I look for the cheapest bargain flights,lol,I do not think I will be flying mercenaries in!

In fact, we went to Portland around March I think and it was the first time Preston went on a plane and he was worried bc he said mom how can you be so cheap! I never heard of this airline (think it was SunCountry?) and he was worried we would crash. I told him well it is good you never heard of it bc that means it was probably never in a crash then and in the news! I tried to explain there are thousands of planes flying everyday and how many plane crashes do you hear of really!? Of course, then after there has been several plane crashes and emergency landings which now he is worried bc we will be going to Vegas on a plane since my back keeps tweaking out and I cannot drive like 9 hours there straight-think it would kill my back!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Nothing really today except errands and chores. Back still a bit tight-not going away for some reason. I am volunteering this weekend at my son's basketball tournament and they have me working 8 hours at the door/front entry collecting money-ugh! That will be a long haul and it will be for BOTH days. Hopefully, my back will be ok.I asked since we are working/volunteering to we have to pay an entry fee-sheesh, we still do(10.00 each too for these entry fees and at least 5.00 parking!). That is the first time I hear of volunteers having to pay it! Sometimes I think it is all about the money these days...sigh.

Was closing out the budget for June-have not finished the totals yet. Yesterday went to the .99 cents only store and spent 75.00 for groceries which is actually quite a bit bc usually I spend only about 33.00 or so. Found marinated artichokes and mushrooms there-but it was not very good like the CaraCara kind.

I made scallops,asparagus(very thin bc .99 store) which actually was very good and broccoli. The scallops tasted good with diced green onions. But Preston did not like the scallops-he said it was a bit salty(I did not even add salt) and tasted like fish! I said well it does come from the ocean! Go figure he likes crab and lobster! I make my own lobster rolls from 5.00 sale on lobsters which he likes. At the food trucks or restaurants that specialize in lobster it is at least 17.00-25.00 for one in a sandwich. I use up my hot dog buns sometimes with this(make like a garlic bread out of the bun).

Preston had about 4 hours of practice( 2 hours with a team and 2 with a trainer). I just did my schedule for this month and I highlight his appts,practices,etc all of his stuff in green highlighter. He starts school at the end of the month already-sheesh! Important stuff highlighted in red. And each person is assigned a highlighter. Well, everything on July was green highlighter-OMG-nothing was for ME this month! Think I need to cut some of that time-I did not have one thing! It was basically just a Preston calendar! I need to get a life! Kids are coming back home on Friday for a bbq-love it when my kids are back home!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:45 pm OMG, I just had a very scary incident at mom’s house.

To try to condense it, I was in the back yard changing the water for the birds. I guy and little boy came back and said he needed to measure the property line for tree trimming. Said it was his day off and that’s why his boy was with him I was hesitant but let him come into the yard. The more he said, the more I realized something was wrong. I know for years there’s been a scam to get the person into the back yard and then the other guy steals things in the house. Sure enough there was another guy heading for the truck. Luckily my doors were all locked. I’m screaming at them both - you liar, f-ing liar, f-ing, f-ing liars. I got the license tag as they drove away. Go me! Nothing was stolen. My purse was on the sofa righ near the front door but he didn’t get in. Garage door was closed.

I called the Sheriffs Office and told them everything. Two deputies came to the house and asked a lot of questions. Finally one pulled up a photo of the truck owner and it was the guy in the back yard. He’s on probation for burglary! Not sure if they can do anything to him for this incident.

Sheriffs Dept. will check the house this week and next when I’m on vacation. I set up a timer for a light.

My mom’s neighborhood has always been safe but I guess nothing is safe any more. There is nothing in the house worth stealing but I’d hate to see furniture etc. damaged.

Sheriff’s deputy said I did good. Said “You go girl” when I told him all the swear words I used. I think my mom would have been proud of me.
Oh my, I am so glad you had your doors locked and realized that something strange was happening.

I am also very glad that nothing untoward happened to you and you stayed safe.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Oh my! How scary for you!! Good for you though to have made enough noise to have scared them off!!

I’m glad you reported the incident too.

I feel kinda sad for the little boy though, as if he's being groomed to do the same thing as his dad (or whomever he was with). I think maybe he was along to provide extra distraction too.