What Frugal Things No Longer Work For You ??

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

What Frugal Things No Longer Work For You ??

Post by rinty »

Just thinking about what Jackie said recently about looking for new frugal ideas.

Here, we have found our previous Christmas Savings ideas no longer work. We used to pop our small change in a pot and would reap about £400-£500 plus between us.

Now, we hardly use cash, as you can swipe even small amounts on your debit card.

Last year we saved around £70 :( :(

I have signed up for the more high tech version where my account does a " Save The Change " by rounding up what I spend sending it to the Christmas savings account.

I also used to read lots of blogs..............instead of magazines. Now those blogs are so moneterized they aren't readable.....either too many ads or sign up for this, sign up for that. It annoying that frugal entertainment option is gone.

Any ideas ?
icfrugal1

Re: What Frugal Things No Longer Work For You ??

Post by icfrugal1 »

I don't think that this is what you are looking for but ~~~~

As I am de-cluttering I really do a lot more thinking about buying stuff, trying to keep stuff from coming into the house.

On the other hand :roll: picked up a "free" puppy 8/5/2018, well you know that there is no such thing as a free dog :lol:

I love the question.

Does getting back money on all purchases count? (CC cash back)

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Sadly, i do know where I could save some money, but I don't do it.

Coming to mind, my AT&T bill for the phone is unlimited calling, and I don't make that many phone calls, DH doesn't use the landline at all, but otherwise I would be very nerviness about making calls, (have I gone over my mins etc) so, I pay for peace of mind.

Also, I do think (know) that I may be over insurered, I have earthquake on both houses and flood on the rental. so sleeping at night.

Also for the rental I have both the stove and fridge with warranties so that my tenant can just call to have them fixed . again sleeping at night,

IC
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Saving cash in any form because I do t use cash. Instead I keep track each month for the saved savings gs challenge and transfer money physically.

Coupons and much of the so called rebate apps. More a question of no patience honestly. I buy personal and paper stuff ince a month looking ahead to what I need and I use mainly clicklist. My time is valuable in retirement too.

And please dont pillory but cooking from scratch at times. Supermarkets have caught up.and I can get deli chicken and frozen cooked burgers and breasts for pretty much the same as raw if I watch the sales.

Also shopping second hand at east for clothes. I understand the sustainable issues but right now i can find end of season sale items for less than ten bucks and often cheaper.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Now that it is only me at home, meal planning not as productive, no longer have a free-standing freezer or storage room, so bulk buying is out. I also cannot use up things. I did not renew my Costco membership this past year. I am no longer living close enough to go there for Gas most of the time. If I do want something, I'll ask my parents to take me there.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Turning up the temperature summer, and turning down the temperature in winter. Sorry, as I age I want to be comfortable. I have tried turning down the temperature at night, almost froze my tushie off going to the bathroom.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/