Daily Check In July 19, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Daily Check In July 19, 2019

Post by SandiSAHM »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:56 am I was raising and lowering the post pounder onto the steel fence post, one time I raised up the post pounder too high which was unexpected so it came back over and the entire length of the post pounder and landed directly on the top of my head.
I kid you not, DH has done that - TWICE. Once when he was a teenager (stitches, concussion) and once in his mid-30s (2 backyards ago, I took him to the ER, blood everywhere, he got 12 staples - that's a gnarly scar, he better hope he never goes bald, its right down the center of the top of his head).

Those things are dangerous.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Greetings,

I have been spending my days in an air conditioned environment and it is costing me dearly in electric bills. But what can you do. I have done everything the utiity company has recommended except leave the house. But if I shut everything off during peak rates for 3 hours M-F and left the house it would tempt me to spend so overall I think it would cost more than staying home. I just try to be frugal in other ways.

My friend/neighbor got a free futon but didn't want the pad so she bought a new one. She gave me the one that came with the futon, black in color and in excellent shape. I would have kept ythe pad if I was her but she wanted a different color. I have two uses for it. It can work as padding when I turn my Toyota Sienna into a campervan. It also works as additional padding on my living room sofa. It is comfortable so now I can watch TV in my living room instead of on my bed in the bedroom. A great score for me!

I bought a robo vac and a firestick during Amazon Prime Day. The deals were fantastic and these were two items I had been wanting to get. I put the fiestick in the living room so I don't have to keep unplugging and moving the one in my bedroom back and forth. The robo vac is great! It made two laps through the house yesterday and I was amazed at what it picked up! I'm happy with it and so is my back. I can do other things while it is cruising around. I have no carpeting so its easy peasy to use.

Bev
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

dgflorida I'm sorry your trip didn't go well. Frankly I think traveling is overrated for the most part. I know of another person who had hurt her back just before going on a cruise. She went ahead and took the cruise since she had already paid for it. It made things a lot worse for her and she has been pretty much housebound for several months.

I have no desire to go on cruises, or fly anywhere. I don't mind taking a train trip. Its a great way to look at the scenery without having to drive. I bought my Sienna in case I decide to take some road trips. I wouldn't go very far. My free futon pad fits perfect in the back of my van when the back seats are down. I may consider short road trip later on in the year.

Bev
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Greetings Y'all. HEAT WAVE - temperature feels like 110 according to the radio.

It has been a busy day. I am off today from my primary job (actually off every Friday through September - trying to use up some vacation time). I did my grocery shopping very early this morning. Hit the "regular" supermarket at 7:00 a.m. then did a quick run to Save A Lot for pet food and nectarines. Then to Dollar Tree for bleach and dish washing soap.

Finally to Family Dollar for a box fan. The box fan is for the comfort of my DOGS - not for me. UGH. An expense I didn't want but when you have pets you have to take care of them and keep them comfortable as best as you can. I filled a huge pan with ice and set it in front of the fan and they both lay in the range of the cool breeze - so it is helping.

Have all my windows closed and curtains closed. A couple windows where curtains are more sheer, I hung up towels to block the sun. For the most part my house is staying cool-ish and dark-ish.

After shopping - to my friend's house for coffee. She gave me some clothing she was getting rid of and I gave her a decorative sign and a pint of blueberries (.99 cents). Then to my boss's house - I'm dog sitting till Monday. They have their A/C on a timer so the dogs don't roast. Finally at the library getting my stuff done and to pick up some movies I ordered in from our library system.

I have to work job #2 tonight. Since the store I place magazines and books in is open 24 hours and around the corner from my house, I can go in any time between now and 1:00 p.m. tomorrow. I will likely wait till after I go put the boss's dogs to bed at 9:00 p.m. It will be quieter in the store then. That should take me about 3 hours and yes, I'll be tired but it's a good kind of tired.

Just noticed the time - and it's no wonder I'm getting hungry. Need to finish up here and get home to turn the fan back on for the dogs and have some supper. Everyone be safe in this heat!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:33 am Good morning all,

We are back from vacation a few days and I was too exhausted to even talk about doing anything. I had my eye injection on Wednesday along with a dilation and couldn't see and didn't feel good.

I warned hubs that his short daily walks would not get him through the airport. I got him a wheelchair which he hated me for, but quickly realized he needed, so then he hated his body and me as well. A real joy to be with. He discovered he could not get out of the airplane seat. Too low for him and strangers had to help him stand up. I had also suggested we get a handicapped room which he refused to do. He discovered that he couldn't get off the toilet. It was really touch and go getting him up the one time. After that, I told him that he had to use the toilet in the lobby area which was handicapped accessible. But that meant walking a long way for him and I never knew if he could make it. I could never relax. It was miserable. And it got worse. Unlike here at home, he could never rest long enough to recover. so he lost ground every day. The return flight was worse as he was weaker than when he started. We take a shuttle home because it is cheaper than parking and the driver knows the roads. He had to crawl into the shuttle because he had no strength in his legs. Everyone was trying to help, but weren't sure what to do. It was just a humiliating disaster for him. And exhausting for me. He agreed, never again.

I met with the kitchen planner on Monday. We firmed up some details on the handicapped kitchen. Any illusions of being able to walk are gone now. He can walk the 20feet from his bed to his chair. He can walk the 10 feet from his chair to the table. But it will only be downhill. I will continue to meet with the kitchen planner and next step is money down and formal measurements.

Today, I will work inside, clean a bit and start some serious de-cluttering. My handyman has disappeared, so I need to get a new one. Start that process. ugh. My knee doesn't hurt, but is not normal. It feels weak. So I am restricted. Luckily, I have a yard guy since we have been getting a lot of rain and the grass and weeds are growing well. The mosquitos are horrible, so dash outside. Pull a couple of weeds. Run back inside. Sizzling heat at 105-110F heat index. But plenty to do inside, so time is not wasted. Despite all the gripes, life is good. And hubs is safe in an adapted house.

Today, I am grateful to be home. Have a good day all.
Sorry your trip was so difficult. I am glad you are home safe and sound.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:56 am Hello friends,

Am sitting in bed, typing as usual. However, Dh told me to stay in bed, which is not usual. Here’s the backstory:

Yesterday started out like any other day. I got up early at 4:30 AM with hubby, made his lunch and breakfast, I sent him on his way. Went back to bed for an hour until it was full daylight, then went outside to start weeding my garden. About 7:30 AM DS 11 came outside to complain about his sister not letting him on the computer, and I suggested he take a bike ride to kill a little time until it was his turn to use the computer. However when he came back from his bike ride, he came grumbling and huffing over to me where I was still weeding in the garden, and threw himself against one of the fence posts that supported my bailing twine been fence. As the garden had recently been watered in the early morning hours, the post promptly gave away. I scolded him, then suggested he go get the post pounder so I could fix the post and fence. However I soon discovered the post would not reset in that spot as the ground was just too soft. So I move the post over a few inches, and as I was raising and lowering the post pounder onto the steel fence post, one time I raised up the post pounder too high which was unexpected so it came back over and the entire length of the post pounder and landed directly on the top of my head. These things are heavy welded steel, around 30-40 pounds, and the weight of it slammed against the top of my head and I fell to the ground. I did send up yet my post finished but by then I was very frustrated with the whole situation, I actually started crying a little bit. I sent DS 11 into the house finished fixing my bean fence, take the post powder back to the garage and stopped working in the garden for the day.

All of this occurred before 830 in the morning, so when I went into the house was a tremendously aching head, my girls were still gung ho about the pool party they were expecting to go to. I was really hurting by then but did not want to disappoint them, so I just asked various children to help me out by getting the things that we needed gathered, including sandwiches made for our picnic lunch.

The short of the story is, we did go to the pool party, I spent most of the time sitting in the shade praying that my painkillers would kick in soon, and talking to the other moms. Later I went to town and met with my friend to go over details of her attending my girls this coming school year while I substitute teach, then that DH at his doctors appointment, then return books at the library, then came home. I felt so utterly wiped out, my head had continued to throb and ache all day long despite having taken some highly concentrated powerful ibuprofen and Tylenol medication together,. I asked DS 16 to make dinner for us, what’s grumbled about but finally did.
Then we had a Kirby vacuum salesman show up, I feel sorry for him so I agreed to let him come into the house and do his vacuum demonstration but along the way DH became very intrigued by the vacuum, and started hinting around that maybe we should listen seriously to this guy as he showed us all of the different attachments and parts of the vacuum. The H was especially intrigued by the fast amount of dirt and dog hair and dust bunnies that were being pulled out of our carpet in about a 2 ft.² area. So when the salesman kept making these deals, DH kept hinting to me that I should listen seriously. The gist of it is we ended up with the brand-new Kirby vacuum, or rather the one that they had been doing the demo with, which had been used about seven hours previously to them coming to our house, still pretty brand new.

Fast forward to today, DH insist that I stay in bed, not even look at or touch the new vacuum today. Considering that yesterday I also discovered that TOMT had arrived at approximate the same time I whacked myself over the head with the post pounder, I have two different sets of pain going on, yes I may stay right here in bed today. Once again I’ve taken pain reliever, almost 1 hour ago and it is not yet taking the edge off the aching head.

So plans for today, stay in bed, and/or sit on the couch with a blanket, try to keep the kids from going freaking crazy, trying to nap a little more, stay out of the garden, maybe set a sprinkler in the really dry lawn areas next to the garden however, and hopefully get some shopping done in about 4 hours with ds14 along to help me.

Am going to read or knit (maybe) today, anything else to keep my head held still (other than going out to put a sprinkler on at sunrise for half hour while air is still cool, then back to bed).

Not sure on dinner; I REALLY want hamburger stew, but not sure how to make it candida-friendly too.

I used my voice-recording app, so I hope you understand this. I cannot focus clearly enough on my small iPhone screen this morning.
Gayle, I agree with every single thing Rinty said. Enough is enough. Your kids are certainly old enough to help you on a daily basis. Your DH should be doing a LOT more. You will wear yourself out completely, and not be able to recover. Enough is enough!