Daily Check in July 20, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Daily Check in July 20, 2019

Post by LWolfT »

Happy Moon Landing Day! Can't believe it was 50 years (even if I was a child when that happened, LOL!)

We finally found DH a replacement car yesterday. Have to say DH is very good at negotiating ... first dealer said they couldn't meet the price he was willing to pay, but the second one was. So, we'll have to adjust the budget a bit for higher insurance and registration costs, but it's good that we can move on.

(And yesterday, I found a business card taped to the front door ... it was from a chiropractor's practice, with a note about my DH's "recent auto accident." )

Maggie, will cross my fingers for your former boss ... and for you and your team.

DG, sorry the trip was so hard on you both. Your area gets garbage pickup twice a week? Only a week here.

Gayle, honey ... I hope you're feeling better today.

Otherwise, off to the grocery. Need to pick beans, but might put that off until this evening. Plus the other usual chores.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Another note on trash ...

I was struck in Canada that you all are much more diligent about recycling. In my hotel in Moncton there was a blue recycle bin along with the regular trash can. At my motel room in PEI there was a regular trash can, a blue recycle bin and a can labeled for compost. I did have something to compost, my orange skins and apple core. (There was a long list of what should go in each can.)

At most restaurants and parks there were recycle cans along side trash cans.

BTW unrelated but I bought my fruit at a grocery store called Sobeys. I was in there several times. Really nice store!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I slept late for me. It was almost 7 when I woke up.

I put a white wash in the dryer. This is the one load I didn’t do yesterday. I try not to use my oven or dryer in the afternoon.

This morning I finished loading and set off the dishwasher. My breakfast dishes filled it.

I just put a meatloaf in the oven. I bought the ingredients yesterday.

I realized last night that I forgot to buy bread. I will either have to buy some or make a loaf. Time will tell. I do have yeast.

Penny
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

The concept of having trash picked up more than once a week intrigues me, we've never, in 4 OK cities and one rural county address, and I never had it in the 2 other states I've lived in since adulthood.

We had the option of "going to the dump" to dump things, in 2 locations, other than that it's been a once-a-week thing. Always the big plastic wheeled containers (in the county we had to provide our own).

We no longer own a truck so dump runs would be difficult. For an extra fee and forewarning the trash company will pick up excess and/or large things (they'll send a 'large thing' dedicated truck if you need to toss something like a mattress).

I was so excited when we got here and the city provided a 2nd container dedicated to recyclables!

I don't think DH or the kids would be happy having to lug everything to the curb twice a week :lol:
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:09 am Good morning all,

This morning is wet. Last night's thunderstorm hit late. It was filled with wind and intense lightening and heavy rain. Several power blinks. Recently, this has been the pattern, hot, very hot days with very intense night storms. The mosquitoes love it.

With that July trip behind me and no fear that hubs will try to travel again, I felt focused yesterday and actually got something done. Today should be just as good. Helpless fear is a real energy sapper.

I visited my neighbor with spinal problems yesterday. I am almost out of the gel I use with my ultrasound machine. She had bought a different brand when she bought her ultrasound. I wanted to see how it felt. It didn't feel right. So I asked her how it worked for her and she said she had stopped using the ultrasound because it wasn't working any more. So I proposed a test. We switched gels and said we would run a 2-3 day test. I used hers last night and got no sense of improvement. Waiting to hear from her.

The county has decided to reduce garbage pickup to once a week. People are furious. I am running a test to see what problems I run into if I do that. And the answer is flies. Little ones about the size of fruit flies. So now I need to figure out how to manage the situation.

I planted some zinnia seeds when I got back from the July trip because there was high probability of rain for the entire week. They have sprouted already. I am not fond of zinnia, but it seems to do well for many in the summer. So see if it works in my garden. August, I can plant tomatoes and peppers.

Today, I am grateful that I got a call back from a handyman and we set a time next week. Have a good day everyone.
DG, I have always had once a week garbage pickup. We just keep the can inside our shed. Our problem isn't flies...it is bears.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Late but still morning, I slept in! The youngest grand and I played hard all evening. It was fun and I am so glad she came to spend time with me.

I know I sound like a broken record but once again today...so hot! I went thru my donated clothes bag, retrieved a pair of jeans and made them into cut off shorts, NOT Daisey Dukes, longer in the legs. No one needs to see that much pale skin at one time LOL.

I got my electric bill, it was higher than usual but...I have used my AC, so not unexpected and I am so happy to have AC.

Made my chimney cleaning/inspection appointment yesterday. Seems so weird to be thinking about heating the house in this weather.

I don't have any trash pickup, I compost or feed food scrapes to the chickens, recycle everything possible and any true trash is put into DD's work dumpster. They were agreeable to it and I am very thankful. We only generate about 1 large bag every 2 weeks. I use any limbs/dead wood in my firepit. When I clean the firepit out I trundle the leavings into the chicken pen. They love to pick thru them.
My biggest issue is from the litter boxes, I am researching the idea of burying the used kitty litter in the holes left from grinding out the stumps, covering it with the stump grindings, then dirt until full. Still thinking on it.

Off to do something productive....maybe LOL
JCKitty