Daily Check In 9/4/2015

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check In 9/4/2015

Post by icfrugal1 »

Happy Birthday Jackie26!!! :lol:

Got the dog walked, there is a dog down the street who is in heat, and my dog is not fixed, not good, my dog always goes to her house :( I feel like a stalker.

I did get some decluttering done today (yeah for me)

It's going to be in the 80's today. but y heater just turned on, you should have seen how fast I ran around the house closing windows, it is cool. I hope to get my swim in a little later, I am afraid that my swimming will be over for the year soon. the pool time really helps my arthritis.

Have a great day.

IC
evecan11

Post by evecan11 »

Happy birthday Jackie and many more.

Woke and 3:30 a.m. Blah! Wide awake, jumped out of bed thinking I had forgotten to pay my estimate taxes, checked calendar and low and behold I have till the 15th, so I lucked out but sure spoiled a good sleep. Sat in recliner for a while with a cuppa and watched the news. Very depressing when one lives near big cities and reads what has gone on overnight.

Anyway while my p.c. was doing it's Malwares thing I wrote checks for EIT, whew, that is a relief, had breakfast and headed for the shower when I finish reading my Frugal site.

Three fifteen my son and I take the kitties in for their yearly shots, then it is a quiet weekend for me. Will watch my grandson's football game from Wisconsin, he is a freshman so will be warming the bench for awhile but will be fun to watch anyway. Youngest son sent me the link so I will sit with a small glass of red wine, some crackers and cheese and cheer from a thousand miles away.

Have a great long weekend.

evecan
rinty

Post by rinty »

floridacatlover wrote:
rinty wrote:
I don't know about everyone else but trivia really has seemed trivial this week with the tragedy in Turkey about the little Syrian boy. The mood here is why haven't we taken more Syrians ? Of course the reason is the EU, where we end up having to take over half a million useless benefit migrants just last year. And frankly, lets close THAT door. We must have a hand car wash on every street. Our cars are CLEAN, lets let the Real Refugees in instead.
Rinty, I'm with you on the refugees. One of my best friends and her DH are on a two-week Mediterranean cruise right now - Turkey, Greece, Italy, etc. - and it has been bothering me all week. My friend is a good and caring person but personally I would feel horrible cruising around on a luxury ship knowing that there are people nearby who are clinging to what looks like rafts and just trying to survive. Of course I will never say anything to my friend or our other friends here but it bothers me. So much sadness in the world right now.
I do agree about your friends holiday............when we were in Messina, Sicily, we were shocked at the sheer number of migrants and that was a year ago. And there was a real desperation there. I know the beach where the Little Syrian Boy was found. When DH had his heart attack on a cruise in 2010, they took us off the ship and put him into hospital at Bodrum. I remember how close Kos ( Greece) was and that you could easily take a boat for the short journey........but of course it isn't a short journey in an overloaded rubber dingy. The real boat owners can't take them or they would be arrested as traffickers which leaves the field wide open to the traffickers who will.

I do not see how things will ever be the same. I do not agree that one can just choose to live in another country . I do not want to let in economic migrants when real refugees are out there. I think our Prime minister announced something good today.....we will help more but they will come from the refugee camps not those
"pushing in " who refuse to be assessed or follow any legal channels .
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good day, frugal friends. Happy birthday to Jackie 26. Floridacat, getting a pair of good fabric shears for under $30 is a great deal. And Eve, I know exactly what you mean about having an over-vigilant brain.

Today I have been the produce market to use pocket money for a few things and Save-a-Lot for a small watermelon. Their price was $2 less than the produce market for the melon. Got to enjoy those while I can. Could not get farm eggs today at the veterinarian's office because the hot weather has made his hens start laying less.

In just a bit I need to take DH to buy some dress shoes suitable for job interviews, probably at Kmart so I can use my Shop Your Way points.
Mackie
Debbi64

Post by Debbi64 »

Rinty, FloridaCatLover and Jackie ~

Some folks are not waiting for their Governments to step forward ~

Blurb: Your support will go directly to help provide aid such as food, water, shelter, and clothing for the refugees suffering in the Middle East. Any donation you make will have an immense impact on the life of a refugee. Need a little perspective on how your money is being used? Every $25,000 raised can bring a family of four out of Syria into a country of refuge.

In just a few short weeks (or less?) over $4 million has been donated.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

A friend of my son has set up a go fund me page. She is working in Turkey taking food every night to the refugees. Hubby and I are going to donate money on her page to help her buy and prepare food to take out.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/