Gayle's Cancer Updates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Biopsy Results & My Cancer Updates

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:55 pm Sorry Gayle to hear this news. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Please be comfortable with whatever decision you make.

Creative
Thank you. I AM actually fairly content with my decision despite how it may sound in the latest installment (that was mainly for oldest dbro's wife and her often snarky-sounding comments).
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 pm Gayle, (((Hugs))) You are always in my prayers and I will add a prayer that you make the right decision for YOU.

I have two friends (not close friends) who have had double mastectomies and both are doing well, one about ten years later and one about five years. Both were diagnosed in their 40s.
Thank you! I did feel the effects of all prayers that have been offered in my behalf.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

bigcheryl wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:31 pm Gayle I have been reading about your journey and wanted to let you know I had a double mastectomy 6 years ago. I was 55 and it was my second time diagnosed with breast cancer. I do not have the BCA gene but decided in the surgery due to my kids not that old and with the second time they would not due radiation and I was stage 3. I am not going to lie, it is hard but you need to do what is best for you. If you trust your doctor have the surgery. You can have reconstruction surgery if you want. I didn't, I am a diabetic, and just wanted to be done. You may still need chemo, your family better be prepared for you to be tired, not want to eat or cook, and just have a hard time. If you would like to talk I would be more than willing to answer any questions. Your faith will get you through. I am a lurker now but use to contribute years ago.
Oh yes Cheryl, I would dearly LOVE to talk to you. I need the first-hand knowledge you possess, like what did you do for clothing post-mastectomy, and how do you keep your arms from touching your chest?

I will need to have the chemo because my cancer is Triple Negative so a lot of the oral medications cannot be given to me.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Thank you EVERYONE SO MUCH for all of the encouraging words and prayers you've offered to me/for me. Even when I feel so overwhelmed, I know you all have my back. :D
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:52 pmThe following is directly from Dr Matsen's & Dr Freer's (radiologist) notes in regards to the non-mass: "There is immediately contiguous non-mass enhancement extending towards the nipple for a total of 3 cm AP. Asymmetric contiguous and diffuse non-mass enhancement. Non-mass enhancement at 4:00 middle depth is suspicious. Diagnostic considerations include asymmetric background enhancement versus ductal carcinoma in situ. This was reviewed by multiple staff and based on a consensus opinion. Findings represent a suspicious abnormality. BI-RADS category 4. Surgical excision is recommended by mastectomy at this time."
What is it really? I don't know, ask Google.

Second, the genetic tests results. I talked to Whitney (from the Genetics Counseling office) on Wednesday afternoon. She explained that I did test positive for the BRCA1 gene mutation, and that I actually have the Exact Same gene mutation as my 1st paternal cousin who had Breast Cancer and had genetic testing done as well. I'm attaching a letter that explains the test results way better than I can. ALSO, I am attaching this letter for my relatives SPECIFICALLY, because until December 29, 2019, YOU (my relatives) can be tested FOR FREE, read the letter it explains the particulars of how to do it. Everyone who can of my relatives, Should Get Tested!!
Both men and women can inherit BRCA1 mutations, and both men and women can pass on BRCA1 mutations. (Carrying a mutation in this gene means that a person has an increased risk for cancer. Mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are known to cause Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer (HBOC). The lifetime breast cancer risk in women with BRCA1/2 mutations is between 50-85%. Women with BRCA1/2 mutations who have already been diagnosed with breast cancer also have an increased chance to develop a second primary breast cancer. The lifetime ovarian cancer risk in women with BRCA1/2 mutations is between 20-60%. Men with BRCA1/2 mutations also have moderately increased risks to develop breast cancer and prostate cancer. There are specific guidelines available for individuals with BRCA1 so that these cancer risks can be managed and in some cases reduced, therefore it is important to know if you are at risk.)
But enough of that, I'm not trying to scare ANYONE, just letting you know that this option IS available, and I would LOVE if my SIBLINGS, and THEIR Children took advantage of this opportunity. No One should have the uncertainty of Cancer hanging over your heads, and having the test done is as easy as a simple blood draw.
-----
So then Dr Matsen asked me what kind of cancer surgery did I want, I said I had no idea then (we'd gone over pretty much everything that she'd previously mentioned in Aug 29 visit, plus all the fun new stuff in regards to the suspicious 3cm anomaly--on Aug 29th, we'd told us that anything that was over 2cm is always of greater concern than smaller areas).
Ah, Gayle. I'm so sorry this happened and also so completely blown away by the rapid response and utter thoroughness of your medical team. WOW. I'm not sure the same level of tech and proficiency could be had here, you'd probably have to go to Texas for anything comparable.

I think you're doing the right thing and giving yourself the best possible chance to stop this thing in its tracks and let you stick around for your kiddos. Kick its rear!

Keeping you in prayer.
bigcheryl

Post by bigcheryl »

Gayle I am putting my phone # because that is the easiest way to talk. I'll give it to you in an email. I live on the east coast so you know. I had drains but only for a week. We can talk as much as you want or need. I will answer any question you have. If you need I can call you too.
Last edited by bigcheryl on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.