Gayle's Cancer Updates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: Biopsy Results & My Cancer Updates

Post by gaylejackson2 »

itspennyc wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 pm Gayle first of all lots of {{{{{HUgs}}}}}

You have to grieve your diagnosis. I know I had to grieve the loss of hearing in my right ear. Along with the balance difficulties it causes.

Penny
Thanks Penny.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

As always, I’ve written this for multiple posting sites.
——-
Dear Family & Friends,

Thank you all for your questions, and continuing concern & support.

Regarding my Friday Oct 18 2019 surgery follow-up visit, we got to see Dr Panucci this time (along with one of his fellows, whom I want to call Katie, and a medical student).
“Katie,” the fellow or resident, says I should start rubbing my scars—to push down on them until I can feel them “crackle,” then rub them gently for two minutes twice a day. Supposedly this will minimize the appearance of the scars, and encourage better healing.

He walked in the room and said, “You look Great!” Then he asked if I still had pain, how my belly & breasts were feeling, and if I was standing straight yet?
Well, I’m not able to stand or sit upright yet, other than for short periods of time (15-30 minutes); and there is still plenty of pain, especially if I have been sitting or standing upright too long, bending over, or doing something with my arms to irritate my upper chest area. My belly will swell due any of the previous reasons plus having my feet down when sitting.

Second, he mentioned that under ordinary circumstances, at 4 weeks from surgery, he would be recommending to Dr Matsen to start chemotherapy. However he said that he would prefer that I wait until at least six weeks had passed since my surgery before starting chemo. I really like that idea, because I don’t feel healed, or well enough yet, to start chemo yet. I’m hoping to feel more better in 2 weeks.

Third, he told us that he is leaving University of Utah and Huntsman, and moving to Spokane to join a group of “like-minded” micro-vascular plastic surgeons, where he will continue doing breast reconstructions. He will be gone in early January.
We are sad he is leaving.☹️😢 I guess this is a better explanation of why he had been accepting so few patients.
We will be praying for Dr P to refer us to as good of a microvascular plastic surgeon, as he is, for my second phase of breast reconstruction.

Fourth, he said that I’m still under a 5 pound lifting restriction, that I cannot raise my arms above my chest & shoulders, and also to keep listening to my body, basically to keep doing everything that I have been doing. He did recommend that I walk using my walker if I cannot walk longer distances without the support, and To Walk more outside (he mentioned walking on sidewalks... perhaps the side of my street will suffice).

Fifth, we talked about my belly button. In our original consult, he’d said that he could fix my belly button hernia.
However he said that my hernia was unusual in that it went straight into my abdominal wall, and was like a hollow tube. He was worried that if anything happened, that my internal organs could be compromised, so he chose to leave it alone, as he felt it would be best.

Last, he said he wants to see me again in 6 weeks, which will be close to 10 weeks since my surgery.
Also, he said that I Can Knit Again, as long as I am good and listen to my body!! 😊😍💗💛 However, I need to finish my current embroidery project, so I am choosing to wait until after Monday (which is 4 weeks since my surgery day) to start knitting again, or until I have completed my project.

About me: I’m still not happy about Cancer’s bullying ways, but I’m feeling calmer (having something to occupy my hands Really Helps me), and am trying to feel happy again. I have also realized that I haven't been keeping up with my personal prayers, nor have I been reading my personal scripture study as much, so I’m trying to get going on those again—when I do them, I am happier.

Many thanks again to you all for your prayers, visits, cards, text messages, emails, and all the other ways you've shown your support to my family and I. We love you all.

Gayle Jackson😊
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by gaylejackson2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Oct 18 surgery follow-up visit, we got to see Dr Panucci this time (along with one of his fellows, whom I want to call Katie, and a medical student).

He walked in the room and said, “You look Great!” Then he asked if I still had pain, how my belly & breasts were feeling, and if I was standing straight yet? Well, I’m not able to stand or sit upright yet, other than for short periods of time (15-30 minutes); and there is still plenty of pain, especially if I have been sitting or standing upright too long, bending over, or doing something with my arms to irritate my upper chest area. My belly will swell due any of the previous reasons plus having my feet down when sitting.

Second, he mentioned that under ordinary circumstances, at 4 weeks from surgery, he would be recommending to Dr Matsen to start chemotherapy. However he said that he would prefer that to wait until at least six weeks had passed since surgery before starting chemo. I really like that idea, because I don’t feel healed, or well enough yet, to start chemo yet.

Third, he told us that he is leaving University of Utah and Huntsman, and moving to Spokane to join a group of “like-minded” micro-vascular plastic surgeons, where he will continue doing breast reconstructions. He will be gone in early January.
We are sad he is leaving.☹️😢 I guess this is a better explanation of why he had been accepting so few patients.

Fourth, he said that I’m still under a 5 pound lifting restriction, that I cannot raise my arms above my chest & shoulders, and also to keep listening to my body, basically to keep doing everything that I have been doing. He did recommend that I walk using my walker if I cannot walk longer distances without the support, and To Walk more outside (he mentioned walking on sidewalks... perhaps the side of my street will suffice).

Last, he said he wants to see me again in 6 weeks, which will be close to 10 weeks since my surgery. Also, he said that I Can Knit Again, as long as I am good and listen to my body!! 😊😍💗💛 However, I need to finish my current embroidery project, so I am choosing to wait until after Monday (which is 4 weeks since my surgery day) to start knitting again.
You have very extensive surgery. He is pleased with your progress. That is great.

Lots of {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Penny
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:57 pm You have very extensive surgery. He is pleased with your progress. That is great.

Lots of {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Penny
Thank you Penny. ((Hugs)) to you too!!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Gayle I am glad that you are progressing and I know you still have a long way to go. You are amazing with what you have had to deal with. Glad you will not have to have chemo for a little while longer. Getting outside with your walker will help a lot I am sure.
Very happy that you are now able to knit. I know how doing hand work helps me and you have mentioned so many times how it helps you too.
Sorry you will be loosing your Dr but hope and pray that your new Dr will continue to do such a great job for you as your current Dr.

Gentle ((hug)). Keep up the good work I know it is not easy.
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:48 pm Gayle I am glad that you are progressing and I know you still have a long way to go. You are amazing with what you have had to deal with. Glad you will not have to have chemo for a little while longer. Getting outside with your walker will help a lot I am sure.
Very happy that you are now able to knit. I know how doing hand work helps me and you have mentioned so many times how it helps you too.
Sorry you will be loosing your Dr but hope and pray that your new Dr will continue to do such a great job for you as your current Dr.

Gentle ((hug)). Keep up the good work I know it is not easy.
Thank you Janet.