Gayle's Cancer Updates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Re: My Biopsy Results & Updates

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dear Friends,

Well I definitely feel better informed now than I have been over the past couple of weeks, however we are in a sense back to square one. The appointment went like this:

We got there 40 mins early, no problem they say. Got checked in, then they sent me back to change and wait in the womens-only waiting room. Then they took me to a consult room to wait until the radiologist was ready for us.

He (Dr Joseph Garrity) decided to ultrasound my lymph nodes first to see if he could see any cancer in them which he couldn't. Then he asked who my surgeon was, and he & another Dr of radiology (Megan S) who’d stepped in to verify what he was seeing, were thrown for a loop when I said that no one had told me, and that we’d been told we would find out that day.

So the good news is there is no visible cancer in my lymph nodes, but the frustrating news at the time was that no one seemed to have a clue who my surgeon was to be, and they assumed that my OBGYN DR was the one who’d ordered the lymph node biopsy.

I was told quite nonchalantly that “Breast Cancer is not an emergency-type of cancer,” so my lumpectomy Would happen, just maybe not for 6weeks to 6months. Oh!! Talk about a downer!! (This came from the nurse coordinator.) I controlled my expression, but I felt really upset over her words. She also said because we didn't know who our surgeon was, then we just dropped to the bottom of the surgery schedule, and would likely have to repeat some tests. Oh goodie, hear my joy!)

Before we left, I actually cried in the bathroom a little, then steeled myself and called my OBGYN’s nurse to explain what had happened.
—-
So... this morning, OBGYN’s nurse called me. She said All of my records & films had been sent to a Dr Prystas (said: priss-tuss), and that they had not had anything to do with my cancer screenings/treatment since then. However she did share an office number with me, which I’ve called and have left a msg for Janet in New Patients.

So I’m back to waiting for something to happen. ☹️
Grannysewstoys

Re: My Cancer, Biopsy Results & Updates

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by gaylejackson2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:07 am

Dear Friends,

Well I definitely feel better informed now than I have been over the past couple of weeks, however we are in a sense back to square one. The appointment went like this:

We got there 40 mins early, no problem they say. Got checked in, then they sent me back to change and wait in the womens-only waiting room. Then they took me to a consult room to wait until the radiologist was ready for us.

He (Dr Joseph Garrity) decided to ultrasound my lymph nodes first to see if he could see any cancer in them which he couldn't. Then he asked who my surgeon was, and he & another Dr of radiology (Megan S) who’d stepped in to verify what he was seeing, were thrown for a loop when I said that no one had told me, and that we’d been told we would find out that day.

So the good news is there is no visible cancer in my lymph nodes, but the frustrating news at the time was that no one seemed to have a clue who my surgeon was to be, and they assumed that my OBGYN DR was the one who’d ordered the lymph node biopsy.

I was told quite nonchalantly that “Breast Cancer is not an emergency-type of cancer,” so my lumpectomy Would happen, just maybe not for 6weeks to 6months. Oh!! Talk about a downer!! (This came from the nurse coordinator.) I controlled my expression, but I felt really upset over her words. She also said because we didn't know who our surgeon was, then we just dropped to the bottom of the surgery schedule, and would likely have to repeat some tests. Oh goodie, hear my joy!)

Before we left, I actually cried in the bathroom a little, then steeled myself and called my OBGYN’s nurse to explain what had happened.
—-
So... this morning, OBGYN’s nurse called me. She said All of my records & films had been sent to a Dr Prystas (said: priss-tuss), and that they had not had anything to do with my cancer screenings/treatment since then. However she did share an office number with me, which I’ve called and have left a msg for Janet in New Patients.

So I’m back to waiting for something to happen. ☹️
{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

I am so sorry about the total lack of coordination and more important consideration for your fears.

Penny
ephofma

Post by ephofma »

I'm so very sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis. Glad the radiologists see nothing in the lymph nodes. Sorry the person talking to you needs a few classes in empathy for/with a patient. Keeping you in my prayers. You are such a remarkable ball of energy I'm sure you will grab this and do what needs to be done. I read your posts and I"M tired when I'm done reading.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Gayle glad that your cancer has not spread to your lymph nodes.. Just wish you did not have to wait so long to find out when you will have your surgery. Hopefully the time you have to wait will give you time to get more organized for post surgery needs. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Gayle,
I’m sorry for all of the confusion at your appointment and the long wait time for surgery. But this tells me they are very confident that the cancer is very early. Good news about the lymph nodes and that you will have a lumpectomy rather than something more extensive.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,and grateful for the news that is positive !

IC