Gayle's Cancer Updates

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: My Biopsy Results & Updates

Post by ChristmasTrees »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 am
Dear Friends,

Well I definitely feel better informed now than I have been over the past couple of weeks, however we are in a sense back to square one. The appointment went like this:

We got there 40 mins early, no problem they say. Got checked in, then they sent me back to change and wait in the womens-only waiting room. Then they took me to a consult room to wait until the radiologist was ready for us.

He (Dr Joseph Garrity) decided to ultrasound my lymph nodes first to see if he could see any cancer in them which he couldn't. Then he asked who my surgeon was, and he & another Dr of radiology (Megan S) who’d stepped in to verify what he was seeing, were thrown for a loop when I said that no one had told me, and that we’d been told we would find out that day.

So the good news is there is no visible cancer in my lymph nodes, but the frustrating news at the time was that no one seemed to have a clue who my surgeon was to be, and they assumed that my OBGYN DR was the one who’d ordered the lymph node biopsy.

I was told quite nonchalantly that “Breast Cancer is not an emergency-type of cancer,” so my lumpectomy Would happen, just maybe not for 6weeks to 6months. Oh!! Talk about a downer!! (This came from the nurse coordinator.) I controlled my expression, but I felt really upset over her words. She also said because we didn't know who our surgeon was, then we just dropped to the bottom of the surgery schedule, and would likely have to repeat some tests. Oh goodie, hear my joy!)

Before we left, I actually cried in the bathroom a little, then steeled myself and called my OBGYN’s nurse to explain what had happened.
—-
So... this morning, OBGYN’s nurse called me. She said All of my records & films had been sent to a Dr Prystas (said: priss-tuss), and that they had not had anything to do with my cancer screenings/treatment since then. However she did share an office number with me, which I’ve called and have left a msg for Janet in New Patients.

So I’m back to waiting for something to happen. ☹️
Gayle,
That is just absurd. Taking care of a medical problem in a timely manner should not be this hard. It is not right to make a patient wait and wonder.
So....tomorrow morning I would be on the phone nonstop until I had an appointment with someone.
Is this Dr. Prytas a surgeon?
Gayle, don't wait for something to happen....you have to MAKE it happen.
Tell whoever you get on the phone that you made the trip all the way there because you were told that you would be given a surgeon THAT DAY.
Sorry.....this just aggrivates me no end.

gaylejackson2

Re: My Cancer, Biopsy Results & Updates

Post by gaylejackson2 »

At 3pm yesterday, I finally got through to the New Patient coordinator at Dr Prystas’ office, and she connected me with the surgery-scheduler who is going to contact all the surgeons, oncologists, and genetic counselors to see if I can get in to see them all on one day, in the next two weeks. Stephanie, the surgery scheduler, said she would call me back today (Thursday). I plan to call Her if I hear nothing by 4pm.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:17 pm
Gayle,
That is just absurd. Taking care of a medical problem in a timely manner should not be this hard. It is not right to make a patient wait and wonder.
So....tomorrow morning I would be on the phone nonstop until I had an appointment with someone.
Is this Dr. Prytas a surgeon?
Gayle, don't wait for something to happen....you have to MAKE it happen.
Tell whoever you get on the phone that you made the trip all the way there because you were told that you would be given a surgeon THAT DAY.
Sorry.....this just aggrivates me no end.
Oh yes!! We were definitely furious, And aggravated by their seeming-blasé attitudes. However, the look on Dr Garrity’s (radiologist) face when we said we didn't know who my surgeon OR oncologist were, well if I hadn't been so upset, I would have laughed my head off.

Dh & I were talking last night, and I told him how Stephanie, the surgery scheduler, was so upset on our behalf because of the mammography scheduler who didn't pass along my info to the other schedulers (as I’ve thought about it, she evaded my questions about who else I needed to talk to). Stephanie said that I should have NEVER been told by Anyone that “breast cancer is a non-emergency cancer, and that meant I wouldn't be getting or needing surgery for another 6 weeks to 6 months.” She did say that because the other people didn't do what they were supposed to do, that I may truly not get surgery until 6-8 weeks from my diagnosis—but that she was going to work hard to make sure we got in as soon as possible.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:41 am
Oh yes!! We were definitely furious, And aggravated by their seeming-blasé attitudes. However, the look on Dr Garrity’s (radiologist) face when we said we didn't know who my surgeon OR oncologist were, well if I hadn't been so upset, I would have laughed my head off.

Dh & I were talking last night, and I told him how Stephanie, the surgery scheduler, was so upset on our behalf because of the mammography scheduler who didn't pass along my info to the other schedulers (as I’ve thought about it, she evaded my questions about who else I needed to talk to). Stephanie said that I should have NEVER been told by Anyone that “breast cancer is a non-emergency cancer, and that meant I wouldn't be getting or needing surgery for another 6 weeks to 6 months.” She did say that because the other people didn't do what they were supposed to do, that I may truly not get surgery until 6-8 weeks from my diagnosis—but that she was going to work hard to make sure we got in as soon as possible.
Gayle glad that you were able to contact someone that is working on your behalf. The sooner the better. I thought it was outrageous when I read what they had told you.. Keep the pressure on.
Janet Alliesmama

gaylejackson2

Re: Biopsy Results & My Cancer Updates

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello Friends,

This morning at 8:34am, Stephanie, the scheduler, called me to say that she had arranged appointments for me with an oncologist and a surgeon for Aug 29th!! YAY!! Only thing is that the appts start at 9 am, But we can either stay the night previous with my nephew OR leave home at 5am (which I bet Dh chooses).

Stephanie also sent me an email with all the details I need to know, plus a link to a patient portal where I can access all of my breast cancer history at Huntsman. She also included a link to a series of short videos that were made by my cancer surgeon--I'm finding them fascinating & informative!
https://healthcare.utah.edu/huntsmancan ... #resources

rinty

Re: Biopsy Results & My Cancer Updates

Post by rinty »

Aww, Gayle, thank heaven, you were treated appallingly at that first appt. Bless you x