Daily check in August 12, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in August 12, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in August 12, 2019

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning frugal folks,

Today hubs goes in for a cataract related procedure. Apparently, some 30% or more of those with cataract lens develop a pocket of cloudiness behind the lens. This pocket needs to be "poked" with a laser. While that is going on, I will head over to the nearby Walmart and buy a car cover for my car. Mostly it will be to keep the leaves and acorns from the big tree off the car. They seem to find lot of crevices to get stuck in.

Last night near dark, my neighbor with the spinal problem knocked at the door. She had a piece of plumeria in her hand and said this is for you. She then thrusted the wilted stick at me and told me where to plant it. She is on a trial implanted tens unit and says she feels great. But the unit is removed today and I guess she is dreading the return of pain. It will be several months before she can get one permanently installed. It is unfortunate that it will take that long. She is on Obamacare and she feels that is part of the problem. I just listen.

It sure is hot right now. The nights don't drop below 80F and mean my ac runs at night as well as the day. After finally seeing the monthly electric usage drop, I don't think it will stay down this month. Hubs is now concerned about our communication costs. Well, we don't have cable or Netflix and I don't want to give up the landline because so many contacts would have to be contacted. Medical, financial etc. Some expenses are just there. Oh well.

Today, I am grateful for air conditioning. Have a good day everyone.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

I woke up to leg cramps & couldn't go back to sleep. ☹️ I was just thinking that I need to go walking a bit to get a little exercise in, as I’m not really doing anything to make my body tired anymore.

My garden continues to produce veggies, well zucchinis, yellow squash & tomatoes. The cucumbers seem to be slowly perishing of some kind of blight, or perhaps its powdery mildew again. I also picked 3 green beans last night, and ate them as I was looking at my tomatoes.

Today I hope to shred some zucchini to package for bread or muffins for the freezer. Perhaps with boys’ help I can make some muffins too. I’m still trying to avoid lifting very heavy items, so no lifting the K-tec mixer base (have ignored the vacuum and the floor looks it too).

I need to stir up more ‘all-purpose’ gluten-free flour, as my containers are nearly empty. (I need to hunt up the buckwheat flour for use with dh’s candida diet too.) I think I can use my K-tec mixer to do the stirring to save the strain on my shoulder & biopsy site.

The only other things I need to do today are pick school clothes out for Wed, Thurs, Fri (may do that tomorrow), finish my laundry with children’s help, plans dinner menus for the week, go to school orientations today, And call Huntsman Cancer Institute as soon as 8am rolls around!! I may wipe upstairs hallways walls a bit with left hand, there’s a lot of fresh dirty spots. Must also find bus stop times for boys, since the bus garage office was soo unhelpful last week.

Oh and plan dinner-tacos sound great!!

My resting will be combined with knitting dishcloths combined with crocheting the last few stitches on dniece’s wedding-gift hot-pad and binding off the too edge.

Today I’m grateful for continuing warm days—am praying for their extension into October so I can get tomatoes & beans canned!! (I can do almost every part of canning except lifting the canner kettles down, and pulling the hot-heavy jars out of the canners to rest, but I have helpers to press into service.)
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 am Good morning frugal folks,

Last night near dark, my neighbor with the spinal problem knocked at the door. She had a piece of plumeria in her hand and said this is for you. She then thrusted the wilted stick at me and told me where to plant it.

Will the plumeria grow even though its wilted? Is this the plant with the sweet-smelling blossoms that perfume-makers love so much?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 am Good morning frugal folks,

Today hubs goes in for a cataract related procedure. Apparently, some 30% or more of those with cataract lens develop a pocket of cloudiness behind the lens. This pocket needs to be "poked" with a laser. While that is going on, I will head over to the nearby Walmart and buy a car cover for my car. Mostly it will be to keep the leaves and acorns from the big tree off the car. They seem to find lot of crevices to get stuck in.

Last night near dark, my neighbor with the spinal problem knocked at the door. She had a piece of plumeria in her hand and said this is for you. She then thrusted the wilted stick at me and told me where to plant it. She is on a trial implanted tens unit and says she feels great. But the unit is removed today and I guess she is dreading the return of pain. It will be several months before she can get one permanently installed. It is unfortunate that it will take that long. She is on Obamacare and she feels that is part of the problem. I just listen.

It sure is hot right now. The nights don't drop below 80F and mean my ac runs at night as well as the day. After finally seeing the monthly electric usage drop, I don't think it will stay down this month. Hubs is now concerned about our communication costs. Well, we don't have cable or Netflix and I don't want to give up the landline because so many contacts would have to be contacted. Medical, financial etc. Some expenses are just there. Oh well.

DG, why do you take every chance you can to dig at Affordable Health Care. I have a few friends in your country that swear by it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Rainy day today (stopped right now but the skies are leaden) so laundry will have to be hung up inside. I also need to run around and reset clocks and such as the power must have went off at some point.

So while not being able to use the lines outside means a bit more electrical usage, being able to have the air conditioner off for the third day in a row means less electrical usage and probably greater savings.

The usual frugal happenings will be continuing here on the old homestead, and I even hope to get a bit of a walk in before the rain starts to fall again. Probably just a short one, but the fresh air will help with the headache I woke up with.

I have beans and zucchini to process today and I plan on sending youngest DS a text re perhaps going shopping with us on the weekend and out for supper as well. I may need his strong arms in the fabric store ;) . I doubt we will manage another shop before Christmas and really don't want to be traveling the roads during the ice and snow months. But we will if necessary.

Hey, just wondered if anyone else had read that staying on the keto diet for too long a period could be bad for your health? It was just a snippet, but it caught my attention. I need to find the article again.

So I had better get my list of chores started. I will check in again later.

Supper this evening will be meatloaf (think I will do the mini loaves again and package the extra for the freezer and later use.

Today I am grateful that I still have lots to keep me busy, and don't go looking for trouble.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/