Do you buy furniture to last decades?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Do you buy furniture to last decades?

Post by SandiSAHM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 pm

When buying furniture, do you buy it to last a reeeally long time, or do you buy it believing that in 10 years your tastes will have changed?

My bedroom furniture was purchased unfinished in 1992 from a place that did 100% real wood (predominantly white oak) furniture that you could finish yourself or they'd do it to your specs. Got it home, finished it, and it's still with me (bought it 6 houses ago :lol: ). It's in great shape but I'm tired of its aesthetic, so over Thanksgiving I'm going to take the finish off, restain or paint it, and add new hardware. I've shopped for 'equivalent' stuff in terms of storage but the $$$ they want for what is basically imported particle board is crazy, so I'm just going to extend the useful life of this stuff, maybe another 27 years.

UPHOLSTERED furniture, however... In 2008 we bought a couch, loveseat, chair and ottoman on sale. Kind of a beigish-khaki color. It's been through a lot (3 houses, 1 apartment, a stint in a POD, and 2 kids). I believe it's springs have sprung or something, because when I use it, my back, the next day, is just painful. DH has had the same thing going on so yesterday we went living room furniture shopping.

Would you seriously drop $9K on a couch? :o

Not me. But that one was the 'lifetime investment' couch (also an ugly couch). And that's when it hit me, LOL, I DON'T WANT a lifetime investment couch. I'll get bored with it's looks in 5-6 years (good thing that doesn't happen with men ;) ) and at most tolerate it another 5 beyond that if it's still supportive enough to be painless.

So we looked at a 10-year investment set of stuff instead.

Do you have 'forever' upholstered furniture? Isn't "forever" and "upholstery" an oxymoron (not talking high-end leather, I don't like the feel - love the cleanability, but not the feel, and as a vegetarian that seems a little odd anyway) ?

When you can't sit on your furniture because it hurts you, it's time, right, but how long do you aim to keep the stuff?

icfrugal1

Re: Do you buy furniture to last decades?

Post by icfrugal1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:20 pm

interesting,

I had my mothers love seats from the 1940's, they searved her well, she had them reupholstered more then once thorough the years, but~~~~ so uncomfortable, Last month they went to the dump, I felt very sad about it , but no one wanted them.

(plus Goldie "ate" them :-) )

we had the family room couches that DH bought in 1982 or so for over 25 years, it had to go very uncomfortable, and the cats had torn it down to the wood.

Now we have lazy boys (SP) in the family room, I don't expect them to last for decades :-(
In fact I've already had to pay $160 to have one of the mechanisms fixed, and another one is already broken. They have a "lifetime " warranty, but just for the part, not for the labor!!!

I have a roll-top desk that my grandfather bought in the 1920's, I have had it refinished, that will last my life time.

I'm not a designer in any way, I don't move things around in my house.

I have a girlfriend who changes her rooms around one to the next a lot.

On House hunters, I don't understand the "I want to put my stamp on the house and redo this and that.

But I think that i am in the minority on this,

IC

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Have you considered buying a used couch from a store like Goodwill or Salvation Army? Sometimes they have some great stuff. I got a great couch and chair set from one of those places. Lasted about 10 years and stayed nice. I gave it to a friend to sell at a yard sale she was having to save her house(she lost her job and behind on her mortgage) We pretty much gave up upholstered furniture when we moved to the deep South. The cloth material was hard to keep nice just like you said. Our 3 sons went through a period of moving out and moving back in. Got furniture that way and about a dozen toilet brushes. Never could figure out the toilet brushes. So now our furniture is our son's used lazy boy and misc. tables. My old wooden finished table and a set of chairs and a TV stand given to me. I agree with icfrugal. The lazyboy is the only thing we will replace when it wears out. They are very nice. Are lazyboys an option for you?

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:00 pm

This is a great topic Sandy.

Let me start with - I am out of style and I very seldom if ever tire of things. I collect antiques and try for a Williamsburg look in my house. We have always bought the best furniture we could afford - that ended up being a lot of Ethan Allen back in the 70s. I could never afford their upholstery, so I would get that elsewhere. I still have almost all of that furniture and looks almost no different than the day I got it.

My family room upholstery gets hard wear as we are round people. I have to special order my recliners from the East coast because I want one that looks like a wing chair and not a recliner. They are pricey. But when I replaced my living room couch (had the one I had reupholstered for the family room) I found quite by accident a perfect Ethan Allen camelback sofa in a used furniture store. Sat in the lady's living room - hardly sat on. Took it to my upholsterer - picked out fabric I want and it is in my living room and looks perfect. But this wouldn't work for people who want to update styles frequently.

I care a great deal about decor and quality furniture - not so much about being in the current style. I would never pay $11k for a sofa- but I would look for that same brand and style of sofa used, if I liked it, and have it reupholstered. The frames are kiln dried hardware, they have 8 way hand tied springs - all of the finishing on the fabric is well done. They almost always in better shape (except for the fabric of course) than the junky workmanship that is being produced today.

I know the 20 somethings who are starting out today - look on furniture as more of a disposable item - Buy something and when it is soiled or wobbly or scratched, replace it because it didn't cost much. So antithetical to my entire philosophy on buying for value not price. You can buy beautiful well made used furniture in quality woods like cherry or mahogany or walnut for practically nothing. It is kind of sad - but good for me as over the years, I have been able to pick up things I wanted but could never afford.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:48 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 pm
When buying furniture, do you buy it to last a reeeally long time, or do you buy it believing that in 10 years your tastes will have changed?

My bedroom furniture was purchased unfinished in 1992 from a place that did 100% real wood (predominantly white oak) furniture that you could finish yourself or they'd do it to your specs. Got it home, finished it, and it's still with me (bought it 6 houses ago :lol: ). It's in great shape but I'm tired of its aesthetic, so over Thanksgiving I'm going to take the finish off, restain or paint it, and add new hardware. I've shopped for 'equivalent' stuff in terms of storage but the $$$ they want for what is basically imported particle board is crazy, so I'm just going to extend the useful life of this stuff, maybe another 27 years.

UPHOLSTERED furniture, however... In 2008 we bought a couch, loveseat, chair and ottoman on sale. Kind of a beigish-khaki color. It's been through a lot (3 houses, 1 apartment, a stint in a POD, and 2 kids). I believe it's springs have sprung or something, because when I use it, my back, the next day, is just painful. DH has had the same thing going on so yesterday we went living room furniture shopping.

Would you seriously drop $9K on a couch? :o

Not me. But that one was the 'lifetime investment' couch (also an ugly couch). And that's when it hit me, LOL, I DON'T WANT a lifetime investment couch. I'll get bored with it's looks in 5-6 years (good thing that doesn't happen with men ;) ) and at most tolerate it another 5 beyond that if it's still supportive enough to be painless.

So we looked at a 10-year investment set of stuff instead.

Do you have 'forever' upholstered furniture? Isn't "forever" and "upholstery" an oxymoron (not talking high-end leather, I don't like the feel - love the cleanability, but not the feel, and as a vegetarian that seems a little odd anyway) ?

When you can't sit on your furniture because it hurts you, it's time, right, but how long do you aim to keep the stuff?
Wooden furniture I/we do buy for our liftime.

Upholstered furniture on the other hand not so much. That being said our next purchase of living room furniture will more than likely be our last.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm

I wish our furniture could last for decades, but my children have pretty well worn out the couches, and the wooden bar stools (rocking back & forth on them). However the table is a good sturdy wooden one that I hope will last at least 10-15 more years. The chairs.. well an older ds has broken the rung of my chair, and we are short one nice chair to match the rest. :(

As for our couch, we are hopeful that we can get another 2-3 years out of them, bought them in 2012--same year as we bought the table set. WE have retied & rewired it together a few times courtesy of several children jumping on it. Grr