Christmas Is Coming

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Christmas Is Coming

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am I’m feeling excited about Christmas this year. The first year mom was gone was a blur. Last year I felt sad. This year I feel much more like celebrating.

I pulled out my Christmas card list this week when I got a card from a friend in Georgia. Added her new address to my list from her envelope. I still keep my Christmas card list on paper using forms from the old OrganizedChristmas site.

Mom had a tabletop ceramic Christmas tree from the ‘70s or ‘80s I think. I’ve always liked it but it is missing some bulbs. I’ve found a site online that sells two sizes of replacement bulbs so I need to figure out the bulb size.

I have a regular fake Christmas tree, not a pre-lit one. One of my strands of twinkle lights stopped working at the end of last season. (I believe I stepped on the part connected to the extension cord.) They were not available at my regular store, ChristmasLightsEtc.com, but she said they’d be getting more in April/May. I’ve been checking and they are finally available so I ordered three strings. (I believe they are from China so wonder if this is the last shipment.) I ordered three strings of the regular lights at the same time because they are high quality.

I only give a few gifts to friends so I haven’t thought about that part yet. I’d like to do the Shoebox gift that Rinty mentioned so will start looking into that. Also I’ll look into the Angel tree. I rarely go to malls so usually think about it when it is too late.
The Samaritan's Purse Shoebox is usually done through churches and schools here in Canada. The youth group did it every year that I was the Youth Coordinator. Check and see what is done in your area.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am The Samaritan's Purse Shoebox is usually done through churches and schools here in Canada. The youth group did it every year that I was the Youth Coordinator. Check and see what is done in your area.
Thanks for the info, Jackie. I did not know that Samaritan’s Purse organized it. (I’m not a big fan of Franklin Graham - to say the least - but this is a good cause.) There is a lot of information online including what to buy and drop off details. Since I don’t have a church, I’ll ask my friend or mom’s neighbor if their churches participate and if not I’ll just do it on my own. It says there will be a list of drop off sites posted in early October.
rinty

Post by rinty »

I have done Samaritans Purse, which is trustworthy, but the past two years we have done a smaller charity in Eastern Europe via our school. It just seemed more personal. Just recently I bought 2 stockings £1 each that we will use for our Salavation Army Boy and Girls gifts. You can't wrap gifts but it will look good in a stocking. I notice now they say the SA provides " small gifts "..............which I though was a little sad.

In 1971 my DB and I had our main/only gift from them as My Dad was very ill ( passed away a few weeks later )

My SA " Boy" gift is a Dinosaur Raptor Fingerling ( which I know DGS would kill for ) That , a selection box by Cadburys and a bubble tube.

Also got a cute Thomas the Tank gift set on a big track( A big one !!!)

Haven't yet seen anything that speaks to me for the Girl gift. I'd welcome ideas..........I prefer it to be Name Brand , as the idea is that they get The Best.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

rinty wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:38 pm I have done Samaritans Purse, which is trustworthy, but the past two years we have done a smaller charity in Eastern Europe via our school. It just seemed more personal. Just recently I bought 2 stockings £1 each that we will use for our Salavation Army Boy and Girls gifts. You can't wrap gifts but it will look good in a stocking. I notice now they say the SA provides " small gifts "..............which I though was a little sad.

In 1971 my DB and I had our main/only gift from them as My Dad was very ill ( passed away a few weeks later )

My SA " Boy" gift is a Dinosaur Raptor Fingerling ( which I know DGS would kill for ) That , a selection box by Cadburys and a bubble tube.

Also got a cute Thomas the Tank gift set on a big track( A big one !!!)

Haven't yet seen anything that speaks to me for the Girl gift. I'd welcome ideas..........I prefer it to be Name Brand , as the idea is that they get The Best.
I am going to think about it. Just really not a fan of Franklin Graham. I hear you about doing something more personal, too.

I like Salvation Army and will check about options there. They provided gifts to all the people in my dad’s nursing home when he was there and some people had no one.

Also I’m interested to see if there are well respected, well organized groups that will provide Christmas gifts to the migrant children at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Just want to find a good way to give back this year.