Jodi

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Jodi

Post by floridacatlover »

Jodi, I hope that you see this.

I’ve found a good series to watch - Billions from Showtime. Season 1 is currently free on Amazon Prime but only through Aug. 31. I only discovered this last week. A friend recommended this show and it is good! Kind of risqué sex and lots of F words which don’t bother me - but just a warning. It is about a U.S. Attorney (Paul Giamatti) trying to take down a major hedge fund guy (Damian Lewis from Homeland). Once I finish season one I’ll sign up for the 7-day free Showtime trial and see how much I can comfortably watch. Then probably spring for one month of Showtime. I think you’ve said you have access to Showtime. (Noah Emmerich - Stan Beeman - is in episode four of Billions.)

I’m sure you’ve heard The Crown will start Nov. 17. I have a $15 Netflix gift card I’ve been saving for this. While I have a Netflix I’ll also watch the Assassination of Gianni Versace if it is still on Netflix. We Floridians remember when the killer Cunanan was on his spree.

Finally, I follow Costa Ronin (Oleg from The Americans) on Twitter. He will be on the next season of Homeland (Season 8?) which I think he said will air Feb. 2020. That’s another show I’d like to watch. I watched Season one when I briefly had Hulu. I’m hoping that Hulu will have a killer deal on Black Friday like the one LittleMiss and LWolfT got last year ($12 for the whole year).
Gale53150

Re: Jodi

Post by Gale53150 »

FCL,
Thank you for posting suggestions of shows to watch. I do not have cable. I do have Netflix. I will be watching for a Good Friday deal for Hulu. I have watched shows that others have suggested and enjoyed them. I also read a lot. Book suggestions are appreciated as well.
Gale53150

Post by Gale53150 »

Should have said Black Friday.
Wrong holiday :)
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Gale53150 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:10 am Should have said Black Friday.
Wrong holiday :)
Yes, even if Hulu isn’t as cheap as last year, I think I’ll sign up if it is a good deal.

Last year I couldn’t get it because it required that you not have subscribed to Hulu for one year. I had a trial subscription of Hulu Live during the Winter Olympics 2018 and then kept regular Hulu for two months in order to watch The Looming Tower, a Hulu original about the FBI and CIA in the years before 9/11. It was good - love Jeff Daniels!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've heard Billions is great, so I will check it out, soon!

Would you believe that two weeks ago I watched ALL of The Americans, AGAIN. That show has truly ruined me for other shows.

I'm in my free month of Netflix, right now. Signed up to watch the last season of Orange is the New Black. GREAT final season. I'm not quite finished with Stranger Things, yet....for me it's not a absolute must-see but it's good, and I was a teen in the '80s so I get nostalgic. I've also watched "After Life" with Ricky Gervais (Nice show....six 30-min episodes.) Also Dead to Me with Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini (very good...10 30-min episodes). Russian Doll, with Natasha Lyonne from Orange is the New Black, I'd heard it was great, I thought it was pretty good (8 30-min episodes) but to me the end fizzled....HOWEVER I really don't do well on shows that get more than a little mystical, fantasy, or sci-fi (hello Game of Thrones). And this one ended with a twist that I couldn't pick up on....but It gets great reviews so that's probably my own hang-up.

The Handmaid's Tale, 3rd season just ended on HULU. GREAT show, but this season was a bit slow to me. I hope there's another season.

Looking forward to The Crown! I love Tobias Menzies. He was in Outlander (I LOVE Outlander SO MUCH, that I have a life-size cut-out of Jamie Fraser, LOL No joke! Everyone needs a Jamie Fraser in their life). Tobias will be Prince Philip in The Crown. Olivia Colman will be Queen Eliziabeth. I really like her.......so I got The Favourite from Red Box a few weeks ago She won the Oscar, the movie got a lot of nominations, so I was excited to watch. It is one of THE WORST movies I have ever seen in my life. Absolutely terrible. With a constant groaning, screeching violin tempo background that just set my teeth on edge

Anyway, Tobias Menzies is also great in The Terror (the first season) on Hulu. Based on a real case of a stranded ship up in the Arctic, and the survival, or not!, of the men. It has a bit of "fantasy" in the bit of a weird creature but I could handle it, lol Also has Jared Harris, another actor I love, who was Lane Pryce on Mad Men.

And speaking of Mad Men.....Allison Brie who played Trudy Campbell (and also on The Community) is in GLOW on NETFLIX. THIS SHOW IS GREAT. The 3rd season just landed. GORGEOUS LADIES OF WRESTLING, lol The show isn't about wrestling, though, and I'm glad I watched it in the first place. The wrestling is just the means by which all these different women come together (like any workplace show). And there's less wrestling as time goes on. It's funny, sad, the whole thing.

Basically I"m just looking for shows that will stop me from watching The Americans, again, lol
ohjodi
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

FCL -
I love Billions - although it does push boundaries. The stuff with Paul Giamatti's character is way creepy to me - but it is so good! I hate that Malin Ackermann left - as I thought the relationship with Laura made Bobby Axelrod more human. She got her own show I heard.

I binge watched one last night that was really good on On Demand - City on a Hill with Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge. Really good and has one of my favorite young actors, Jonathan Tucker. I watched the first year except for the last episode - that airs tonight on showtime.