Daily check-in August 31, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily check-in August 31, 2019

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Having a bucket of coffee, so far have fed and watered the hens, refilled the hummingbird feeders and played with dogs.
Today should be a mellow day, hoping the whole weekend is mellow.
Might do bedclothes. I usually do them on Monday but more convenient today.

Fridge has plenty of leftovers to eat on and house is in decent shape. I do need to vacuum at dads. Might work on plants again.
DD's kittens are feeling rotten today, then when they get into trouble act all lovey-dovey. The squirt bottle will get quite a workout if they continue.

Off to read and get my day truly started.
Stay safe all,
JCKitty
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning everyone,

Last night I finished up putting binding on DNiece's quilt and repaired DGS's lunchbox. I need to get going on the throw quilt for my Mom if I want to give it to her for her birthday. I have about 10 days left.

Weather here got hot and humid and likelihood of some storms. I may troll around the stores. I woudl like to get a new dress for DS1's friends wedding in early October. I should also take time to look in my closet. If I am lucky enough to change jobs, I will be going to the office everyday. I think I am OK, but still a new piece or two is always nice. I am good with shoes, I think.

Have a great day,
Maggie
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Good morning.
Having an end of the Summer road party here today...about 25 people...all live on my two mile dead end road.
Just about to make the baked mac and cheese and then I am ready. Beautiful, sunny, not too hot day.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:53 am The end of summer and here the start of school. Noticed empty shelves at the grocery so stocking up for children's lunch boxes must have been taking place.

Lucky you if we did anything extra like helping after school for say the Christmas Concert, or things of that nature it was considered volunteer, meaning no extra pay.
Jackie this is the official after school club that parents pay for after care. We feed them and do 2 and a half hours of structured activities. No one would expect that to come free !! I do two 2 1/2 hours sessions and 3 1 hour sessions. I have a separate contract for those hours.

I DO turn up an hour early ( at least ) every day and get "stuff " done and always volunteer for Christmas concerts, Saturday fundraisers, and setting up and putting away any other activities.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

I hope the hurricane craziness has subsided around here. They have ordered mandatory evacuations along the east coast of Florida and closed schools even here on the west coast. Several airports are closing down central and east Florida. Eggman neighbor, who is 2-3 generations native Floridian says this one will not be bad. He put up plywood on his west windows that he says he will leave up all season, so he expects a couple more. I will work on that one regular window today and tomorrow. Not a big concern. Glad the rest are hurricane impact glass. Worth the money.

I had a meeting with the kitchen designer at Home Depot. We went over the last handicapped kitchen design she sent and I got an additional skinny vertical pull out cabinet out of it that is right next to the cooktop opening and perfect for spices. Right now, I have to reach into a nearby cabinet for spices and hunt around for the ones I want. This design would eliminate the hunting. Sweet. Now we are working on the sink design since the under sink plumbing would interfere with a wheelchair. Meet with her on Monday, if the weather allows.

I sent a FB message to all my friends and thanked them for their thoughts and prayers. It is nice to have so many good people as friends.

Today, I am grateful that the hurricane may stay out to sea. Have a good day everyone.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Good Day All,

Floridacat and DGFlorida, glad you are safe and hope you stay that way!

I am very disappointed today. My daughter and her boyfriend were planning to come for the weekend. He made the trip safely from the Catskills (about a 4 hour motorcycle ride - neither of them have a car) yesterday to where my daughter lives and then something on his motorcycle broke - so they can't get it fixed right away due to a part needing to be ordered and it's a holiday weekend. So no visit from my girl and her fella.

The VERY GOOD in all this is that whatever broke did so when he pulled into the parking lot of where my daughter works yesterday. It could have been a very dangerous situation for him if it had happened on the highway.

I got home from working job #2 around 12:45 a.m. and my daughter (who had just got done work) called to give me the news. They are disappointed as well --- but you know what - they are SAFE - and that is the important thing.

I will make the best of this long weekend. I have plenty to keep me very busy including FREE Redbox movies, taking donations to the thrift store, a long, leisurely reading session in my back yard, making homemade soup, a nap or three, etc.

Not to mention my dogs need some long walks this weekend - they haven't been getting those since I've been sick and basically conserving any energy I've had so I could continue to work.

Hope you all have a most pleasant weekend.