Daily Check-In, Sept. 18, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Daily Check-In, Sept. 18, 2019

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Gayle, I’m thinking of you. (((Hugs))).

Jackie, I hope that your hand is better today. (After hearing of your broken wrist and my friend’s broken wrist I can totally understand how Christie Brinkley broke her arm - really sounds like her wrist - in the dancing fall.)

I slept well but did wake up early. (Once Pippi hops into bed it is hard to go back to sleep.)

I feel good about my fall decorating yesterday. I like to keep a centerpiece on my table (prevents it from becoming a clutter spot) and I have a really pretty fall table runner I got for .75 a few years ago at a rummage sale. It looks like crewel. I switched out my candleholders to some slate blue ones and have a basket with a cranberry candle in a glass hurricane surrounded by pine cones.

I put a black metal lantern on the end of my bar with a few cranberry votives near it plus a few fake leaves from Dollar Tree. (I bought a pack of fake leaves at DT a few years ago and they are nice. Last year I bought another pack at DT and the quality was much lower.) Dutch friend was in Holland for two months this summer and gave me a gold tea towel made in her city there and I combined it with some other fall kitchen towels and put out my Mrs. Meyer’s Apple Cider hand soap from last year. Now we just need cool weather.

I’ll go to the library today to return La La Land and the Louise Penny book. (Really enjoyed the book!) I was able to renew the Homeland dvd online so I have another week to watch. Then to CVS to use my free $3 ECB Beauty Bucks. I’m all out of lens wipes for my glasses so that is how I’ll use the $3.

I thought of cutting the back yard at mom’s house today but I think it can wait until Friday. We’ll see. I will look in the garage because I think there is an almost full bag of potting soil I will use for planter boxes at my house. I may stop at HD to buy two bags of mulch.

Have a good day.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-In, Sept. 18, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

It is still a bit cool this morning, so I have the door to my balcony wide open. I did (finally!) call the YMCA and made an appointment for orientation to the fitness room. I am disappointed that all water aerobic classes are during the day. I go tomorrow night.

It has now been 2 weeks since my interview and I have not heard anything. I think there is a possibility that I may be their #2 choice and they are waiting on a decision for their #1. But that is just a guess.

I figured out that I can share my Amazon prime benefits with another adult and will do it with my Dad, but we both have to enter our passwords on the same screen, so I will have to remember that when I see him next.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:42 am Good morning all.

Gayle, I’m thinking of you. (((Hugs))).

Jackie, I hope that your hand is better today. (After hearing of your broken wrist and my friend’s broken wrist I can totally understand how Christie Brinkley broke her arm - really sounds like her wrist - in the dancing fall.)

I slept well but did wake up early. (Once Pippi hops into bed it is hard to go back to sleep.)

I feel good about my fall decorating yesterday. I like to keep a centerpiece on my table (prevents it from becoming a clutter spot) and I have a really pretty fall table runner I got for .75 a few years ago at a rummage sale. It looks like crewel. I switched out my candleholders to some slate blue ones and have a basket with a cranberry candle in a glass hurricane surrounded by pine cones.

I put a black metal lantern on the end of my bar with a few cranberry votives near it plus a few fake leaves from Dollar Tree. (I bought a pack of fake leaves at DT a few years ago and they are nice. Last year I bought another pack at DT and the quality was much lower.) Dutch friend was in Holland for two months this summer and gave me a gold tea towel made in her city there and I combined it with some other fall kitchen towels and put out my Mrs. Meyer’s Apple Cider hand soap from last year. Now we just need cool weather.

I’ll go to the library today to return La La Land and the Louise Penny book. (Really enjoyed the book!) I was able to renew the Homeland dvd online so I have another week to watch. Then to CVS to use my free $3 ECB Beauty Bucks. I’m all out of lens wipes for my glasses so that is how I’ll use the $3.

I thought of cutting the back yard at mom’s house today but I think it can wait until Friday. We’ll see. I will look in the garage because I think there is an almost full bag of potting soil I will use for planter boxes at my house. I may stop at HD to buy two bags of mulch.

Have a good day.
Your decorating sounds wonderful. No decorating here this year, things are a bit of a mess right now.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 am Good Morning,

It is still a bit cool this morning, so I have the door to my balcony wide open. I did (finally!) call the YMCA and made an appointment for orientation to the fitness room. I am disappointed that all water aerobic classes are during the day. I go tomorrow night.

It has now been 2 weeks since my interview and I have not heard anything. I think there is a possibility that I may be their #2 choice and they are waiting on a decision for their #1. But that is just a guess.

I figured out that I can share my Amazon prime benefits with another adult and will do it with my Dad, but we both have to enter our passwords on the same screen, so I will have to remember that when I see him next.

Have a great day,
Maggie
I hope that you hear something very soon.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

I am hoping at some point to get this bandage off my hand and start to use just a smaller patch type band aid. People look at my hand like I have some kind of strange disease.

Parish Council went very late last night. I noticed Father looking at his watch numerous times, so I asked if we could digest all the info at least overnight. Caused a bit of a ruckus with one member, but the way people disappeared from the table after the suggestion was a welcome relief to many. Mind you now we have homework to do in that we have to weigh what we would like to see as priorities for 1 year, 3-5 years and 5-10 years down the line. It also means I have to set up a Gmail account so some special thing can come through. This is a volunteer position, not a paid position and being on council is something I did not ask for or really want.

I will head out shopping this morning instead of tomorrow. I am out of milk, and there is very little in the way of fruit left. Tomorrow is going to be busy pretty much all day as the Bible Study gets started. Two sessions every Thursday for 6 weeks. Sure hope I can manage that. I don't know if I will help lead again, just have to see how I do this time around.

Prayer shawl ministry starts next week and I am really looking forward to seeing the ladies once again.

Frugally speaking since I am shopping today there will be some allowable spending. I am not doing well on the no spend front this month. Next month I will need to pull my socks up and knuckle down.

Meals will be made with what is on hand from fridge, freezer and cupboard, walking for exercise, using up, wearing out harvesting the garden (if we don't get rain) and perhaps getting things processed as well (want to freeze some tomatoes). I thought I could dry some more basil, and sage but the plants seem to have stopped growing right now. Hopefully I will get another harvest before a killing frost arrives.

Supper tonight is going to be the leftover roast beef along with coleslaw, fried potatoes, and raw veggies and dip. Not the most exciting of meals but one that is quick to prepare.

Today I am grateful that I made it home before the storm hit last night, and for the wonderful light show we were treated to.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:13 am Your decorating sounds wonderful. No decorating here this year, things are a bit of a mess right now.
Thanks, Jackie.

Another vignette I have near my TV includes a white ceramic (?) pumpkin with a gold stem I bought at DT last year. I think it looks high quality and I noticed when I was in DT a month ago that they have them again this year. (Most other DT fall items were not impressive and I’m not at all into Halloween decorating.) I combined the pumpkin with some fake leaves and a fall coaster. (Pippi likes to walk on the TV cabinet so we will see how long this lasts.)