Daily Check in Oct 24, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Oct 24, 2019

Post by mbrudnic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:36 am

Good Morning friends,

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk. Outside. for 75 minutes! Yay me. Operation "get out of the house" is going.

Now if I get operation "Stop with the slow weight gain" going.... Being at home all day is not conducive to whittling my waistline. I have thought about the coffee shop, but in the AM I have conference calls. Excuses, excuses.

Anyways,
Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in Oct 24, 2019

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:09 am

Good morning Maggie and all,

It is a lovely, cool, crisp day in Florida. A do something kind of day. I have a medicare advantage informational seminar to go to for a $10 gift coupon to Publix which I will use to buy a turkey on sale next month. It usually pretty much covers the cost of the turkey. I love free and almost free.

The rest of the day will be outside painting. It is generally too hot and humid to paint outside here in the summer. So this is the season. I always have things that need painting. It is also the season to bleach the concrete patios. This kills off the algae and stuff that grows on everything during the heat. Since my house sits among the oaks, the patios don't get much sun and it becomes a problem. I worked on both patios yesterday until I ran out of bleach and all I could smell was bleach. Bleach goes on sale this weekend and I will buy more. Pressure washing is not as effective as bleach since the green grows back pretty fast after that process. Bleach is better long term.

This is a wonderfully frugal time of year. No ac and no heat, so I hope for lower electric bills. The new cabinets and appliances are due to be delivered next week. Then out with the old and in with the new kitchen. I am saving the kitchen sink to use outside as a potting sink. It is a gardening thing. Meanwhile, the garden is doing pretty good and the butterflies are busy flying around the nectar garden and planting eggs here and there.

My winter dance trip and dance cruise is set. Hubs will have a new, ADA compliant kitchen to play with and I will get to dance hopefully every day. After the kitchen is installed, my military son will visit for a week. He will PCS to Asia in March, so I am glad I will be able to see him. My other son and family expects to visit next spring. I am very fortunate.

Today, I am grateful for my good life and this beautiful day. Have a good day everyone.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:15 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have been up for awhile now and celebrating the fact that this will be the last Thursday for many months that I will be out and about for most of the day. This means back to Thursday shopping, and getting more projects done during the week.

Today I plan on dressing warmly and heading out for my morning walk-about as Hubby calls it. Missed it yesterday due to shopping/errands, and even though I tried one later in the afternoon, it just wasn't working for me. I ended up finishing up my 11K steps inside the house either on the treadmill or walking around like a lunatic.

I did not finish my pants yesterday, but did manage to get the side seams done and that just leaves the elastic casing and leg hems to do. I also started the skirt and have gotten as far as the casing and the hem as well. I should hopefully finish at least the casings and inserting the elastic in both this morning. Leaving just the hem to do tomorrow (unless I am really lucky). I hope to finish the top and the dress this weekend and move on to cutting out a couple of Christmas gifts (perhaps another knit top and my new nightie as well).

Frugally speaking since I spent money yesterday today will be a no spend day. I am continuing to use things up. Last night was a bag of frozen chicken and the remaining tossed salad mixture. Today supper is going to be quick and easy.

I am continuing to open the drapes wide during the day. The sun warms up the living room nicely and when I close the drapes come sundown the trapped heat enables us to go for hours without worrying about the furnace turning on.

My bag of yarn for the temperature blanket seems to be slowly getting smaller. I am hopeful that I have enough of various colours left to finish it. After all I still have the rest of October as well as the remaining months of the year to get through. This blanket is really a mish mash of colour and if I every make another I think I might organize the colour scheme a bit better. Still it is using up lots of bits of leftover yarn.

Supper tonight will be the leftover ham and scalloped potato casserole along with a Greek salad.

Today I am grateful for coffee in the morning and meeting a friend and neighbour from long ago. We are going to get together for coffee one day very soon.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:20 am

I woke up twice during the night, But was able to sleep about 5 hours straight.

I have a loaf of pumpkin bread in the oven, I checked the box the "best by" day was a few days ago. So I made it this morning.

I put a white wash in the washer this morning. I only need to do the one load of wash today.

Last night to correct an error in my sweater I had to rip out several rows.

Penny

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 am

Good morning all.

Maggie, I thought you mentioned that you would be able to go into your job five days a week. Did something happen to change that ? Office remodeling? I’m like you and work better in an office than at home but for me the problem is I’m easily distracted.

DG, I don’t know if there is any black (as opposed to green) mold/mildew on your patio but I have never found bleach to work on the black. Plus I question it getting into adjacent soil. Most pressure wash companies use a herbicide (whatever that is) plus the water. The company I used said it should last two years. I’ll be happy if it lasts one year. (Probably get my head bashed for giving you advice.)

Penny, the way you keep up with cleaning, dishes, laundry etc. I can just picture your apartment as what my mom would call “neat as a pin.” You do so great.

Later this morning I’ll visit mom’s neighbor’s mother. When talking to mom’s neighbor last week, it sounded like her mom was depressed so thought I’d go over there since I’m not very busy right now. Downside is that she lives in a congested area. Upside is that she is near an Aldi. My Aldi is closed for remodeling. I don’t know if the one near her is open. Aldi ad was promoting the reopening of a third store. Ad had a $5/$30 coupon which I’ll probably use at Publix.

I’ll go to mom’s house and work on the flagpole painting. How do you paint a tall round object? I’m improvising. I was using a foam brush and the brush part started detaching from the handle. I have a new one from my house for today. I have one bag of yard debris to put out for tomorrow, also.

Have a good day.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:24 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 am
Good morning all.

Maggie, I thought you mentioned that you would be able to go into your job five days a week. Did something happen to change that ? Office remodeling? I’m like you and work better in an office than at home but for me the problem is I’m easily distracted.

DG, I don’t know if there is any black (as opposed to green) mold/mildew on your patio but I have never found bleach to work on the black. Plus I question it getting into adjacent soil. Most pressure wash companies use a herbicide (whatever that is) plus the water. The company I used said it should last two years. I’ll be happy if it lasts one year. (Probably get my head bashed for giving you advice.)

Penny, the way you keep up with cleaning, dishes, laundry etc. I can just picture your apartment as what my mom would call “neat as a pin.” You do so great.

Later this morning I’ll visit mom’s neighbor’s mother. When talking to mom’s neighbor last week, it sounded like her mom was depressed so thought I’d go over there since I’m not very busy right now. Downside is that she lives in a congested area. Upside is that she is near an Aldi. My Aldi is closed for remodeling. I don’t know if the one near her is open. Aldi ad was promoting the reopening of a third store. Ad had a $5/$30 coupon which I’ll probably use at Publix.

I’ll go to mom’s house and work on the flagpole painting. How do you paint a tall round object? I’m improvising. I was using a foam brush and the brush part started detaching from the handle. I have a new one from my house for today. I have one bag of yard debris to put out for tomorrow, also.

Have a good day.
Nope, Home 5 days a week.