Cars, Kids & Crazy?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: Cars, Kids & Crazy?

Post by ohjodi »

Trying to handle the needs of three people with two cars will add significantly to the mileage, maintenance, and wear and tear to those first two cars.

In two years when you do buy a newer car for DD, your first two cars will be worse for the wear than if you do buy the cheap minivan as a 3rd car, now.

Buy the 3rd one to help preserve the first two.

Also, something could come up where you might not be able to afford the newer car for DD in two years......maybe it will take three years. She'll still have this cheaper minivan to tide her over until you can get her a different one.
ohjodi
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

ohjodi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:00 am Trying to handle the needs of three people with two cars will add significantly to the mileage, maintenance, and wear and tear to those first two cars.

In two years when you do buy a newer car for DD, your first two cars will be worse for the wear than if you do buy the cheap minivan as a 3rd car, now.

Buy the 3rd one to help preserve the first two.

Also, something could come up where you might not be able to afford the newer car for DD in two years......maybe it will take three years. She'll still have this cheaper minivan to tide her over until you can get her a different one.
Sandi,

I completely agree with Jodi. Buy the 3rd to help preserve the first two.

IMO, it wouldn't hurt your daughter any to drive the older minivan either.
Our teenage boys drive to school in a 1988 truck, and when ds15 turns 16, he'll drive his 1994 truck. They are happy to have something to drive, and dh & I are happy knowing they are in the older trucks that won't crumple like newer vehicles tend to do in accidents.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

One more thought...........If you try to make do with two cars, and one is in an accident or has a serious breakdown, then you're only got one car between three people.
ohjodi
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

ohjodi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:20 am One more thought...........If you try to make do with two cars, and one is in an accident or has a serious breakdown, then you're only got one car between three people.
That was my thought. DD would drive the Camry, though, it's got new tires and has had a thorough servicing by the pros (at their expense, long story LOL) and I think the front end would be more driver-preserving than the van. The van would be mine (much less use) until we got her something newer.