Daily Check In December 10, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check In December 10, 2019

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

Sunny and bright outside today but boy is it cold! Not quite as cold as Jackie's temperatures but cold enough that you require polar gear if you're going to be outside for any length of time. The cold snap is supposed to last quite a while.

Dh and I made it to the gym this morning so my workout for the day is done.Having the main part of the gym area close down has forced me to try out different equipment. Today it was the stair climber and elliptical. Also ran my two miles on the tred mill and got in my light weights for my arms. Found a declined bench so did some sit ups as well so the abs got some exercise.

Came home and dh made a nutritional smoothie. I also had a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat and a new variety of apple called "autumn gold". Boy are they ever tasty!

I am heading off to do some planned for Christmas shopping and will hit the mall when it hopefully isn't that busy.

Creative
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon ...
Cold here ... temps haven't moved out of the 20s, and supposed to go into the teens tonight.
Was out for a bit ... put gas in the car, did a bit of Christmas shopping. I might call it done, unless I see an interesting stocking stuffer.

Ready to sew down the binding on the Christmas tree skirt. (Yep, cutting it close.)

Jackie, my DH is hard on socks, too. And Florida, good save on the antenna. I think the older ones are better-built anyway. Janet, enjoy the quiche. How do you feel about scrambed eggs?

Need to do a bit of kitchen work. DH wants to make red beans and rice tonight, so better check the seasonings. Also will make him some boxed mac & cheese for his lunches.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Fa la la la laaaaa, la la la laaaah,

Making cards out of children handprints ( check )

Watching ( and encouraging by mouthing the words ) to the Infants Nativity Play...done

sorting the presents for the children in my class............done

Making gift tags for my Craft Clubbers which I will attach to a chocolate tree decoration to..............not yet done, and I'd better get on that as Craft Club is on Thursday night.

Dinner was minestrone soup, a bit like yourself, Jackie. Yesterday was ratatouille over pasta.

have not yet sent a single card so epic fail, but have been in touch via phone and text arranging Christmas get togethers.

This is definatly my lowest key Christmas and I would dial it down further , see how it goes.

DS has shown no real interest this year at all, other than wanting to be with us. Gift wise we have got him Toy story 4 and Lion King on dvd. The thing is, you panic, buy him "stuff" which he will ignore or actively dislike. The family have all told me what they have got him and each and every one has wasted their money Bless 'em.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:35 am Good morning all,

Today is the day military son and I go fishing on a charter boat. He has never saltwater fished before. The boat captain is the son of Eggman and it is nice to help a neighbor's son. So a win-win. He does this fishing charter as a side.

Yesterday, son and I got financial things done. We reactivated his military account with the military credit union here. I will be able to easily add a gift to his account without concern as to where he is serving. He will be overseas for at least 3 years.

I had hoped to take him for a short canoe adventure, but it looks like they will be working on the kitchen starting tomorrow. So I am not comfortable making plans until I know more. I must be here when they work in my kitchen. I have put in calls to the contractor and got answering machines. No response. Annoying.

We had steaks on the grill (fire pit) last night. I opened up a new bag of charcoal and well, it didn't get hot like it should have. So dinner took a long time to cook. It was ok, but not stellar.

Eggman and Jarhead both had their Christmas lights on last night and son got a chance to walk down and see the competition. Son said the marine won. But he expects Army to come back with more lights before Christmas Eve.

Today, I am grateful for this chance to visit with my son before his overseas assignments. Have a good day all.
Enjoy your time with your son, and please thank him from me for his service to our country,
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:45 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I say good morning a bit tongue in cheek, the temperature right now is -28C (-18F) and with the windchill it feels like -38C (-36F). If the weathermen/people are correct it is supposed to be even colder tomorrow. I am so glad that neither Hubby or I have any place we need to be, and feel a great deal of pity for those that have to be out in this today. Our closest DS for one as he will more than likely be out and about working in the city he lives in.

I have lots to keep me occupied today, but baking is not one of them. I have called done and while I know there are goodies I have missed making we have more than enough to let us add a pound or two and inches to the waistline.

The cards were started yesterday, and I plan to finish them off today. Into the mail they go on Thursday (errand day) and that will be something else to cross off the to do list.

Yesterday for my extra cleaning chores I cleaned all the doors and the door knobs off, as well as cleaning all the dust bunnies out of our bedroom hard to reach spots. Today it will be cleaning the basement bedroom/library for our oldest DS, and perhaps dusting the basement furniture off.....

Fun things will be knitting, sewing and reading (since it is too cold out to do anything other than run out to bring in the garbage bin once it is empty I will have lots of time). I really would like a good start on the tunic top today.

Frugally speaking this will be a no spend day.

I have always found that making a brand new meal from leftovers is a great frugal tip (and no Marcia did not coin the phrase Planned Overs, I actually used it and got it from the title of one of my many cookbooks). My Sunday roast meals usually end up stretching to at least one lunch of sandwiches, and two other meals using the leftover meat (those 2 meals usually give us leftovers for another meal each as well). You can have a rubber roast as well as a rubber chicken. I need to explore more of the idea of batch cooking as a means of being frugal, rather than just making double batches of something. I just find in mind numbing to stand around a stove or oven all day, or to chop veggies ad nauseum. Anyone have any hints on how to make that a less boring chore?

I have a couple pairs of Hubby's socks to darn today. He is getting pretty low and I am tempted to go and buy him some new ones (along with some white t-shirts) and put them under the tree as part of his Christmas gift. I can not figure out how on earth he is so hard on his socks. A couple of pairs are so bad that I will cut them into rings to use to tie up plants next spring and summer.

Continuing with the temperature blanket, only three weeks to go on it. The more I think on it the more I am tempted to have a go at another one. After all I do have lots of leftover bits of yarn to use up. I will post a picture on my blog once it is done. Interesting to see the colour changes in temperature appear.

Still decluttering in the search for a simpler, more streamlined life. I don't know if I will ever be as minimalist as some of the blogs I read for inspiration, but getting my home to a place where everything actually has a place is my goal for the coming years.

Supper this evening is going to be beef barley soup. The recipe makes a rather large batch so some will be frozen to be heated up later on for other meals this winter.

Today I am grateful for a warm house, a full belly and enjoyable things to accomplish during this Advent season (and the lead up to Christmas).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
I LOVE beef barley soup!!!!!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:31 am Good morning everyone. Jackie Yikes on the temperature. I like cold but that is too cold..

I am slightly improved each day but still very painful and hard to swallow. I am actually getting tired of ice cream, Popsicle's, and sugar free pudding...Never thought I would ever say something like that...lol. I am going to make a spinach quiche today. Did the prep last night and will just throw everything together and in to the oven this morning. It will be nice to have something savory to eat for a change.

I cooked 6 huge pears last night. They are from my pear tree. I added a little sugar and a lot of cinnamon. I think I have enough pears in the fridge to get me through until the end of Feb. They are not for eating fresh they are canning pears but with my current medical problems I am just going to cut them up and cook them like apples. They will make a nice addition to winter meals.

Not sure if I mentioned the sale of my brother's farm went through this past week. The end of an era. The new owners are a young couple with 4 children. They are not going to move in for at least a year. They are going to build on an addition and completely remodel the house. The house is one of the Sears houses that you could buy in a catalog over a hundred years ago. My brother tore it down to the studs and rafters before they moved in about 35 years ago. The nice thing is my brother and his wife have known the young lady since she was born and have been good friends with her parents for year before she was even a twinkle in her parents eyes.. She has promised to have my brother and SIL to dinner when they move in. Good to know that the farm is going to good people who will love it as much as my brother and his family have.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet, I sure hope you improve very rapidly now. That IS the end of an era with the sale of your brother's farm. So glad it went to a nice family so you will have nice neighbors.