Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-In January 20, 2020

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:37 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Shania got very ill last night before I toddled off to bed (perhaps why I did not sleep well) she seems to be resting nicely right now, but is a bit off her food. Hopefully things improve as the day progresses. Poor thing does not weigh much to begin with and can't afford to lose any more (she never puts the weight back on).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
I hope that Shania is better today and eats well. My Pippi never weighed more than eight pounds and is now down to five (or less) and I increasingly worry about her even though she remains active.
floridacatlover

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 am Good morning. Been awake since 2:00 AM.. No chance of going back to sleep. I slept for maybe 2 hours.. gggrrr.

It is in the teen's here with a slight chance of snow. I actually prefer cold weather over summer.

Not much going on here other than I am going to have to do something about my gastritis. Every time I go off of the medication (per Drs order) the stomach pains return within a few days and seem to be worse than the last time. I need to do more investigation in to what kind of foods I can tolerate. I have been just using up what I have on hand but I think I am going to have to upgrade to more expensive foods to heal my stomach. I am looking in to the "leaky gut" diet. My brother swears by it. There are 5 different kinds of leaky guts and I think I have figured out what kind I have. It will be a big investment in foods that are more costly but if I can get better health wise it will be worth it.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet, I know nothing about gastritis and didn’t look it up. But for what it’s worth I feel so much better since giving up most dairy products and most sweets two years ago. I was having stomach pains after mom died. I still eat yoghurt. At Christmas I ate more sweets than I should have but I’m back on track now. No one told me to cut out these items but I just had a feeling they were not good for me. I try to eat mostly whole grains and produce and chicken or fish for my primary protein.
floridacatlover

Good morning friends.

It is a cool morning here but nice and sunny which we all know makes a huge difference. As always, the birds were right there when I opened the door to fill the feeder.

Yesterday I got a lot of mundane chores done and things put away plus laundry so my house is in good shape. Today I’ll go to Publix for a few items and then to mom’s house. If it stays sunny I’ll probably do trimming in the yard. Perhaps I’ll get to Salvation Army to drop off donations from my house and mom’s house.

Friend from 40 years ago invited me and my Michigan friend (who is still here visiting) to dinner Wednesday evening. I’m not sure what is on the menu but she is Cuban (born there) and keeps a lot of Cuban traditions. I looked up “ wine to go with Cuban food” and came up with Tempranillo which is a red wine. I’ve never heard of it but will look in Publix today. According to online, it is readily available and around $10-$12 a bottle. So that is what I’ll give to friend as a dinner gift. If it doesn’t work with the dinner she prepares for Wednesday I’m sure she can use it in the future.

I’ll finish watching the Australian show Secret City. Makes me want to visit Canberra, Australia which is not one of the tourist centers there but appeals to a government geek like me.

Stay warm and healthy.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 am I hope that Shania is better today and eats well. My Pippi never weighed more than eight pounds and is now down to five (or less) and I increasingly worry about her even though she remains active.
Shania is sticking around the 6lb mark. However these last two bouts of not eating may just have lowered that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:08 am Janet, I know nothing about gastritis and didn’t look it up. But for what it’s worth I feel so much better since giving up most dairy products and most sweets two years ago. I was having stomach pains after mom died. I still eat yoghurt. At Christmas I ate more sweets than I should have but I’m back on track now. No one told me to cut out these items but I just had a feeling they were not good for me. I try to eat mostly whole grains and produce and chicken or fish for my primary protein.
Florida cat thanks for the advice. I do think I will have to eliminate dairy until things are improved.. sniff, sniff. I cannot eat whole grains due to being gluten intolerant and diabetic.. I think my diet is going to be very austere for while with veggies, some fruit, chicken, turkey and some beef. Also saying good bye to coffee during the healing process. Will get things healed then I can add one item back at a time. My brother found out he is gluten and dairy intolerant..I think a lot of the problems that kids have now a days could be related to the foods and additives that we consume.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 am Good morning friends.

It is a cool morning here but nice and sunny which we all know makes a huge difference. As always, the birds were right there when I opened the door to fill the feeder.

Yesterday I got a lot of mundane chores done and things put away plus laundry so my house is in good shape. Today I’ll go to Publix for a few items and then to mom’s house. If it stays sunny I’ll probably do trimming in the yard. Perhaps I’ll get to Salvation Army to drop off donations from my house and mom’s house.

Friend from 40 years ago invited me and my Michigan friend (who is still here visiting) to dinner Wednesday evening. I’m not sure what is on the menu but she is Cuban (born there) and keeps a lot of Cuban traditions. I looked up “ wine to go with Cuban food” and came up with Tempranillo which is a red wine. I’ve never heard of it but will look in Publix today. According to online, it is readily available and around $10-$12 a bottle. So that is what I’ll give to friend as a dinner gift. If it doesn’t work with the dinner she prepares for Wednesday I’m sure she can use it in the future.

I’ll finish watching the Australian show Secret City. Makes me want to visit Canberra, Australia which is not one of the tourist centers there but appeals to a government geek like me.

Stay warm and healthy.

Florida Cat your dinner sounds like fun.

I worked with some people who escaped from Cuba. She was a Dr and he was an athletic coach. When they saw how things were going in Cuba they sent their children to live with family in the US. They were stuck there for years. He finally was able to escape when his athletic team was attending a competition in another country. He asked for asylum and finally made his way to the US. She was trapped for a few more years and then she escaped on a small leaky boat with some other refugees. It was quite scary how they were picked up by the US Coast Guard and transferred from their small vessel to the Coast Guard vessel. We just do not always appreciate what we have here until we hear the horror stories that other people have had to endure in their home countries.
Janet Alliesmama