What would you cook if...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

What would you cook if...

Post by HappyDaze »

You can't go to the store. What would you cook if:

1. You were snowed in? (Homemade soup)

2. Company was coming? (Homemade soup)

3. You have a bad cold? (Homemade soup -- I guess I have a theme here)

4. You could only use your oven? (A big tray of baked potatoes)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Re: What would you cook if...

Post by SandiSAHM »

With what's in the house now (we're supposed to get snow tomorrow so # 1 isn't too far-fetched)

1. You were snowed in? (Homemade soup or a curry w/ rice)

2. Company was coming? (Homemade soup & cornbread, an apple crisp)

3. You have a bad cold? (a spicy curry)

4. You could only use your oven? (right now, lasagna or an Italian casserole, because I have GF noodles, mushrooms, spinach, and mozzarella cheese on hand along with pesto... and a variation of a muffin that's savory rather than sweet). Edited because DD asked how I'd cook the noodles... Duh, San. Can you get noodles partially cooked in an oven before adding everything else? If not I'd switch to a rice-based casserole with the same ingredients and maybe some cannellini beans. Maybe wild rice, we have some of that in stock.

The family wouldn't starve. I'd be overly carbed, but snow constitutes an emergency in Oklahoma.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:29 pm With what's in the house now (we're supposed to get snow tomorrow so # 1 isn't too far-fetched)

4. You could only use your oven? (right now, lasagna or an Italian casserole, because I have GF noodles, mushrooms, spinach, and mozzarella cheese on hand along with pesto... and a variation of a muffin that's savory rather than sweet). Edited because DD asked how I'd cook the noodles... Duh, San. Can you get noodles partially cooked in an oven before adding everything else? If not I'd switch to a rice-based casserole with the same ingredients and maybe some cannellini beans. Maybe wild rice, we have some of that in stock.

The family wouldn't starve. I'd be overly carbed, but snow constitutes an emergency in Oklahoma.
hmmmmm...I'm betting there is a way to cook noodles in an oven!! Take care Sandi!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:29 pm With what's in the house now (we're supposed to get snow tomorrow so # 1 isn't too far-fetched)

Soak the noodles in water before your put them in the oven.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:03 pm You can't go to the store. What would you cook if:

1. You were snowed in? (Homemade soup)

2. Company was coming? (Homemade soup)

3. You have a bad cold? (Homemade soup -- I guess I have a theme here)

4. You could only use your oven? (A big tray of baked potatoes)
You can bake pots of things in the oven like you would cook on top of a stove.
Janet Alliesmama
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Without cooking I have homemade veg soup, homemade beef stew, homemade tomato basil soup along with frozen mashed and frozen cheese biscuits so I'd be fine. O also have chicken thighs and the makings for chicken in wine (company). As well as stuff for chili with corn bread...just off the top of my head