Is the Coronavirus affecting you

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by clemencia2us »

Not me so far, but

I just read an article concerning the upcoming San Antonio Texas Fiesta activities

One big thing they do is hand out medals. All sorts of companines,groups etc have these made and people try to see how many they can get. They wear sashes like the girl scouts and pin all the medals on there. Penny has seen this

Well it appears that the medals are all made in China! And due to the epidemic, factories are closed and no medals.

Isn't this a shame. Why can't we do this here in our country? According to the article, no one makes them.

I think what that really means is that no one makes them at the cost we are willing to pay.

Sad isn't it. That we prefer probably slave labor to paying our own people a decent wage!
clemencia2us

Re: Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by clemencia2us »

https://therivardreport.com/fiesta-medals-may-be-in-short-supply-due-to-coronavirus-spread/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Not affecting me directly, but I am going to take a few more precautions when I travel next month.

Biggest thing is that I’m going to buy several travel-sized bottles of hand sanitizer and keep some with me as I travel through airports, on planes and in the skating arena which will be wall-to-wall people.

I’ll also have some masks with me and see what others do. At the last big skating competition a week ago I noticed that many or most in the arena had on masks. But that event was in South Korea.

My iPhone is the SE (cheapest one) and while I’m probably not in the market for an upgrade, I’ve read the iPhone SE2 has been delayed because the factories in China that make some of the components are closed.

I’ve mentioned that my one friend has the most direct connection to the virus. Her grandson works for Shanghai Disney and he’s still there.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am concerned about the virus, but not directly affected. I agree with Clem concerning the huge number of products that we get from China, like the medals. A lot of medications are made in China too. Hubs is ok right now, but I am concerned that prescription drugs will be affected.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

It has affected us both directly and indirectly. Although my dh is a reluctant traveler, we had planned to return to his home country of Malaysia this coming summer, landing in Singapore. Well needless to say those plans have been shelved for some time. Singapore declared a level orange, to try to contain the virus. It's a very small, densely populated country. This means that all schools are closed, all entertainment centres such as movie theatres,swimming pools, churches, etc. One level up would be red which means a full blown pandemic. The government distributed masks to all citizens in a very organized manner. Employers are required to allow their employees to work at home, if at all possible. Of course, those employees considered essential services are still required to work. Non essential construction has been haulted. Pandemonium in the grocery stores happened the day level orange was declared. Many shelves were cleared especially shelf stable items. The only stores that are open now are food stores and pharmacies. The streets are eerily quiet and people are definitely hunkering down. Singapore is a first class country though with an excellent medical and health care system. Upon checking with our family members there, food supplies are more limited but still completely adequate. Eating out is so much of the culture there, but of course not at the present time. And only Singapore residents can freely enter or leave the country now - with anyone else certain medical protocol must be followed.

In dh's home city of Johor Bahru, Malaysia, right across the causeway from Singapore, there have been four confirmed cases of coronavirus, so they are also hunkering down somewhat although schools are still open. Most people are still going to work as usual. People there are also eating at home much more.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Well if anything people will wake up to some realities! I read that europe depends on China for antibiotics and was facing a shortage. Don't know what came of that.
clemencia2us wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm Not me so far, but

I just read an article concerning the upcoming San Antonio Texas Fiesta activities

One big thing they do is hand out medals. All sorts of companines,groups etc have these made and people try to see how many they can get. They wear sashes like the girl scouts and pin all the medals on there. Penny has seen this

Well it appears that the medals are all made in China! And due to the epidemic, factories are closed and no medals.

Isn't this a shame. Why can't we do this here in our country? According to the article, no one makes them.

I think what that really means is that no one makes them at the cost we are willing to pay.

Sad isn't it. That we prefer probably slave labor to paying our own people a decent wage!