Daily check in February 23, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in February 23, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Lets get started.
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in February 23, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have been up for awhile looking at the news online. Wow, just too much happening and not all of it good at this point in time. Reading news is like falling into a dark pit right now and having to claw your way back out of it.

Not much happening today. I do have a ministry to do at Mass today, and my list of chores for the days we will be home to do. The chore list will be done before I even leave for Mass, along with feeding the cats.

All pieces of the patterns for the bowl cozies, and plate cozy are cut out and I hope to sew those this afternoon. Once a person starts sewing them they do not take very long at all.

It is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow (at least the forecast no longer says snow on Tuesday as well) and as the sun is supposed to be shining, and the temperature fairly decent we will take DS out to the bank as he needs to use the ATM. There will be very little in the way of pedestrian traffic or ATM use.

Hubby and DS discussed bringing up Eiko from downstairs and putting Shania down for the day. Eiko is acting strangely and I think is missing DS so we will probably let them visit for awhile today and again on Tuesday. The problem will be getting her back downstairs when the time comes. Mind you I am the only one that sees this being a problem. The guys figure they could herd her back to the basement easily.

Frugally speaking all meals will be made here at home out of what is on hand. The bowl cozies and plate cozy are made from cotton fabric I already had in my stash, and I plan on looking to see if I have anything that I can make another pair of slip on pants for DS to use.... If not, Walmart is having a sale on sweats and I may pick him up a pair of grey sweat pants at some point this week.

The evening will more than likely be spent knitting on the baby dress and binge watching some sci-fi show with DS. DS loves him some old sci-fi, he is watching Babylon Five right now.

Supper tonight was going to be a roast, but I don't want lots of leftovers cluttering the fridge so will make something with the leftover ham from the fridge freezer.

Today the lovely weather of the past few days of sunshine brings me joy.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

It is a less chilly morning here in Central Florida. The heat never came on yesterday, so frugal day. Hubs says it is because I button up the house so well. "Button up" is a phrase I haven't heard for many years. Feels like a phrase from the 50's. Like banana oil is a phrase from the 20's. Of course, button up makes sense to me but that may reveal my age.

Thanks Gayle for thanking my military son for his service. He may be earning that thanks this tour. He is headed into the corona virus territory and he may get a chance to use his training. This beast of a virus looks like it is getting out of control. Of course, what we, in the public, are told could be wildly inflated or wildly repressed.

We didn't go to the gym this week. I was sick with that food problem and hub's knees and ankles were bothering him. We will skip the gym today because I need to clear the office area for my son's arrival tomorrow, get down the spare bed and try to catch up with the housework that I didn't do while sick. We will see how far my energy lasts. This food problem was a gut kicker, literally. I did eat a normal, but smaller meal last evening and it was ok.

I called old dance partner yesterday and suggested to him that he might want to have a portable AED, just in case. I tried to explain that it is so simple to use that even his great grand children to use it. Of course, he blew off my suggestion although he admitted he was considering a first alert neck button. I supported that since he lives alone. Well, historically, he says no to my ideas and then checks them out and reconsiders them. Well, I did my best. I'm not responsible for the rest. I asked the teacher, a personal trainer at my gym, to make a list of the steps to follow before starting CPR on someone. These steps are needed now because so many people record everything and may sue. These steps basically ensure you have make every reasonable effort to wake the person before starting CPR.

In the year since I belonged to this gym, this personal trainer has had 2 physical injuries requiring physical therapy. I had told him about the use of therapeutic ultrasound for healing. The physical therapist used it on him and he loved it. I reminded him Friday that portable units are available and inexpensive. He has asked my for a recommendation. His therapist and I both pointed out that getting the right gel is critical. So I asked hubs to check on whether the machines and gels were still available via Amazon. More and more often, hubs seems to be having trouble following through with what I would call simple requests. He messed up an airline arrangement last year and now just finding something on Amazon. Dementia does run in his family.

Today, I am grateful that I could eat a normal meal last night. Have a good day all.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning Jackie and all.

Clem, congrats on the likely sale of the house.

I agree that the news is discouraging. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel if it is there at all.

Today I’ll go to mom’s house and see what needs to be done in the yard. Might be my imagination but I don’t think there have been as many leaves this year. Maybe because we’ve had a warm winter not all are falling. It is getting time to cut the back yard. I won’t do it today but may buy some fresh gas for the mower.

I think I’ll rent a Redbox movie. I have enough points for at least three. I’m thinking of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Last night I watched The Laundromat on Netflix. Meryl Streep and other major actors but a weird film I really wouldn’t recommend.

Yesterday I did a job I put off too long - moving the bed and vacuuming/cleaning under it. It wasn’t too bad but Pippi goes under there when she is scared so quite a bit of cat hair. I have not seen her go there as often, however. Also I did my taxes with TurboTax after I did them a week ago on paper. Good news is that I made a mistake on a paper form and according to TurboTax I owe less. I can see what I did wrong the first time so pretty sure TurboTax is correct.

I ordered two pair of tights to wear under my jeans in Canada. I didn’t get the fleece lined ones but I think this still will help with warmth. Friend told me she uses leggings but I ordered regular tights.

Have a good day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Just popping in to say Hi. Not much going on here other than cooking.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Woke up to a gloomy day. What a change from these last couple of days. Still won't be too cold which is good - I think

Spent most of yesterday getting a water leak repaired. Well i waited the COD did it. Taking him longer to do things but he refuses to ask for help. Oh well. What can you do.

I'm having my coffee and getting ready to do my hair. I washed it yesterday and now that it is dry will flat iron it. It is pretty long so it takes a while. Going to a little gathering this afternoon. Hopefully there will be food - :mrgreen:

Have a great day all