May 3, 2020 Daily Check-In

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

May 3, 2020 Daily Check-In

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Morning Everyone,

Another one of those sleepless nights, but I am going back to bed and will check-in later.
Dgflorida

Re: May 3, 2020 Daily Check-In

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another lovely day in Central Florida has started. It is still cool enough to cook inside, at least in the morning. This is the month when the sun beats down all day and can be rough on garden plants. Once the puffy summer clouds begin to form in the afternoon, the sun seems less relentless. Some years, the heat of the day from June on will be dampened by a rain storm. Shade structures are a priority right now.

The beans are soaking for today's dinner of crockpot beans and turkey leftovers. Steamed fresh broccoli (store bought, cheap) and green onions from the garden round out the meal.

I re-started my frugal journal in challenges on May 1 because it had lost frugal focus. In it, I put personal frugal challenges for both the month and week. It seems to be what I need this year given the external challenges presented by the Covid-19 virus. The percentage spending challenge has now given way to the search for limited supplies and going out for them wherever and whenever they become available. Yesterday for example, it was finding cut frozen okra. This new approach seems to be working and I feel more on frugal task.

Today, I plan to walk to the produce stand for celery, on sale. I like and hubs will eat, celery stalks with cream cheese as an afternoon snack. Hubs doesn't like vegetables, so it is always a challenge.

Today, I will also work on the re-design of the front paver patio and move the concrete blocks to the back for garden building there. That will be after I cut open and dump the bag of garden soil that became home to ants into some less important planters. That happens here in Florida. Insects are quite aggressive. I intend to annoy those ants.

Of course, I have the regular watering from the rain barrels. I need to do additional watering in the front in hopes of extending the front garden tomato patch a bit longer. That and regular home maintenance is a full day of things. Start with the sun and go to bed at dark.

Today, I am grateful for enough of everything. There are so many with less. Have a good day everyone.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people!

I was up at 5:30 and have already got quite a few chores done. I folded the last load of laundry, have eaten my breakfast, cleaned the kitchen sinks and cleaned my burner liners - that was quite a nasty job as I sure have been cooking a lot too! I have gotten a second surge of energy and have been cooking ahead and freezing things to make it easier for Dh and Dd2 when I receive my cancer treatment. I fear not having the energy at that time. But I’m also carving out time for myself to do some things I love so I don’t feel resentful.

I also got the fridge cleaned out and was pleased that I ordered the correct amount of food the previous pickup time. It’s all worked out almost perfectly. I will be getting my next order tomorrow.

Yes it’s a whole new world out there for shopping and Dh doesn’t like how it’s going. He’s old school but at least now knows how to make a phone call from my cell phone. But that’s about it. He doesn’t like that so many companies are going digital for their flyers and he hates having to establish accounts and order online. He doesn’t mind using the phone and is willing to wait and tell someone the items he wants. I’ve been encouraging him for years to learn and do fear how he’ll pay all our bills as I take care of that all online or through telephone banking. I have all our accounts and passwords written out and in an envelope, just in case.

It will be much cooler today and cooler still later in the week. But perfect time to get the garden ready for planting and hoeing the perennial garden, trimming shrubs, etc. Dh has a woodworking project on the go, as a means to distract himself from wanting to play golf, I think. Dh has asked I plant fewer pots of flowers this year, which I do understand, as it is me who primarily takes care of them. I love puttering around in the garden and spent at least an hour every day. I think we will expand our veggie garden a bit, the way things are going. I noticed we have some potting soil left from last year, so I am going to plant some parsley from seed and try to grow a pot inside. I came across the seeds while cleaning out the junk cupboard. They could be a couple of years old, but going to try anyway.

Have a great day all! Still will try to be quiet as Dh and Dd2 are still asleep.

Creative
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

After some light rain overnight, today is going to be in the mid-70s. Spring has finally sprung as they say. I look out my front window every day and see the trees becoming greener and greener.

I've been keeping track of my car mileage the last couple of years for curiosity's sake. The average has been about 200 miles a month. I know I was away most of February but for the first 4 months of this year I've driven only 255 miles, the last 3 months being 28, 73, 21. I last bought gas on March 13th and I'm still above a half tank. I burn more gas just turning the car on. Continuing at this rate I'll not have to fill it up again until September. LOL

My plans for today are to definitely get out again for a while. It's going to be just too nice not to. I don't do housework on Saturday or Sunday other than making my bed and cleaning up in the kitchen after meals. I'll be working on my coloring page, plan to read a few chapters in my book, play some computer games and then settle in to watch the new Good Witch show tonight.

For dinner tonight I'm planning a treat for myself. I'm having a steak or perhaps 1/2 of it (saving the rest for another meal this week if possible), noodles and a vegetable.

HOLD THE PRESSES everyone!!! Today is World Press Freedom Day proclaimed to be held on May 3rd each year by the 1993 UN General Assembly.

World Press Freedom Day recognizes the value of freedom of expression, and the sacrifices journalists have made to attain this freedom. This day was created, and is sponsored, by the United Nations. While we enjoy this freedom in the United States under the 1st Amendment, freedom of the press, and freedom of expression, is not a given right in many countries.

Have a wonderful day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I woke up in the middle of the night but was able to go back to sleep after awhile and I got a decent rest.

Sounds so basic, but I’m truly enjoying my microwave. I did not replace it in the last year because of wanting a clear counter but also silly thoughts of frugality. Pippi ate her wet food better than she has for many months because I’m heating it for 10 seconds. This may be a phase but I’m so happy right now.

I think I’ll do another Walmart order today for pickup Wednesday or Thursday. I had thought of going into Publix but I’m not ready. Our newspaper wrote a very negative story about Publix’s slow response to the virus. It does make me question the store far more than in the past.

Our community pool has reopened with many restrictions. They did a thorough cleaning the day before it opened. It is limited to residents only, no guests even if they are family. We are not allowed to move the pool furniture and no pool toys, floats, noodles are allowed. Pool is limited to 10 people. Gate will remain open so no one has to touch it. I don’t think they mentioned the bathrooms but I assume they’ll be locked. I think they’ve planned well.

What is with the protests going on in so many states? My friend says if they want to work, why not get an essential job in a grocery store, delivery service, meat plant (not sure we have any in Florida) or bus driver. Sheesh, those protesters don’t wear masks and gather close together. For what? Selfishness is my opinion of them.

Have a good day and stay safe.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. We hit ( 88 F) ( 31.3 C) yesterday however we had a cold front move in last night and it is very nice right now (64F) ( 18 C). We are expecting storms this morning with a chance of quarter sized hail. I hope it holds off until after I pick up my Walmart order between 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM. Then
Mr Stinky AKA as Teddi has a grooming appointment at 3:00 PM. Thank goodness they are now allowed to take appointments. His previous appointments were canceled twice since March. Of course I have to wear a mask. There is never a time when I have seen another person in their building so social distancing will be easy to maintain. There is an open outside plant market right next door to where I take him so I am going to check to see if they have any veggies plants.

I am still having a problem with poison ivy. The cortisone cream that the Dr ordered last year is gone so switched to calamine lotion and it only give temporary relief but does not seem to be drying it up so ordered something from Amazon that will be here on Wed.

Have a good and frugal day and stay safe everyone.
Janet Alliesmama