I'm pretty sure that most people who won't wear masks....

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: I'm pretty sure that most people who won't wear masks....

Post by Quilter51 »

I just wanted to chime in here (not sure where to share this). My son cut up old socks for masks. they are nice and thick as they are sports socks and they do not hurt his ears in any way no matter how long he wears them (hes a restaurant manager working in a kitchen).

As to Nbeaver's comment, I feel that face masks can work especially withh other methods. if I wear a mask that stops twenty percent or so and you wear a mask that stops twenty percent or so, that drastically lowers your probability. If you also stay as close to six feet or more away as possible, that also lowers your probablility.

So I have decided not to go anywhere that does not require masks of both customers and employees as of now-Costco for example, definitely gets my business. There is not a one hundred percent guarantee other than staying home and locking the doors but I feel that any mitigation is better than none?
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

nbeaver wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:11 pm I am obviously way in the minority here, but I have heard varying opinions of the usefulness of masks. It seems like unless they are the N-95 masks, they probably aren't going to do much good, given the size of the virus--and who can find N-95 masks? I don't have a sewing machine. So I have made the silly folded bandana masks and have worn them while out in public, but to be honest, I don't have any confidence that they are doing anything other than fogging up my glasses and making some people feel more comfortable. But I guess that's something.
I was lucky enough to get the surgical type masks. They are comfortable.

I tried the homemade masks and I almost passed out while wearing one. Not sure what happened there. :mrgreen:

I have been known to pass out before, so I knew the signs. Used to pass out in church when they did the incense. Passed out after giving blood. Etc.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Here's a long article about testing done to determine the best materials for making masks. Turns out, cotton denim, paper towels, blue shop towels, cotton canvas, and 180ct cotton bed sheets are the best. Scarves and bandanas are not very effective at all.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/best-coronavirus-face-mask-materials-new-study-120000624.html
ohjodi
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

All the masks I have made are 100% cotton. We were told this right from the beginning as most patterns online say cotton should only be used.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
nbeaver

Post by nbeaver »

That study doesn't really spur on mask wearing for those of us who don't have access to medical masks and don't have sewing machines.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

We made our masks from socks. Better protection and easy on the ears.