Daily Check-in May 21, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in May 21, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Despite it feeling a bit chilly in my apartment right now, it is going to be another nice day to get outside today, near 70 degrees and sunny.

Attended a ZOOM presentation on protecting one's assets when having to pay for long term care. It was enlightening to say the least. I learned a few things that I hadn't fully understood before including that an irrevocable trust <i>can be changed</i> and also that it's not impossible to protect at least some of your assets even at the last minute. Guess I should after this is over consult an elderlaw attorney.

Today in addition to going for a walk and sitting outside for awhile, I plan on creating a new page for my holiday web segment and continue with the update of my July 4th page. I'll be working on some sudoku puzzles as well as a couple of logic problems and of course, will continue reading my current book. I also want to go to my Amazon account and go through some more books to download . . . out of a list of over 2000 of varied types there is definitely plenty to read. I will also again be reviewing my menu both for the end of this month and next as I am still not exactly happy with it. I'll also spend a bit of time with my computer games.

Dinner tonight is simple, a pot pie. I bought this particular one, but the one thing this pandemic has done is given me the opportunity to learn how to cook simple things as now I can easily make a pot pie myself and more.

May 21st is dedicated as National Waiters and Waitresses Day, recognizing the value and importance of good service staff. The day was originally established to bring attention to and improvement of the pay they receive which is based on a combination of a significantly lower than minimum wage plus tips. In these most difficult times, for those who are able to still eat out, today is the day to say thank you both verbally and with your tip. To those of us who can't we can pray an end to this terrible pandemic and a return to work for these individuals.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check-in May 21, 2020

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people,

Another glorious and sunny day with warm temperatures. I will definitely be spending some time outside. My flower pots need to be planted but at least all the seeds are in the ground now. Keeping fingers crossed for a bountiful veggie crop. I have really scaled back on the flowers this year due to dh’s request. I may not feel up to taking care of them and do spend a lot of time watering everything. We’ll have our two pots in the front, two pots in the back and the barrel. I’ll skip the wishing well, the flower boxes on the fence, my hanging baskets and the two pots I put by the garden shed. That’s what we do when we plan an extended holiday during the summer months too. It’s difficult to find someone willing to water them all.

The house really needs a good vacuum as well so hopefully that can also get accomplished. I have a full load of laundry I could do as well to make less for Saturday which is when I change the sheets.

Logics we very seldom eat out, actually only when traveling but always remember to generously tip our waiter or waitress. I often think how our dear cruise ship staff are faring. They went above and beyond to ensure we had the best time ever! I had never experienced such a high degree of service before.

Today I will try to appreciate the little things in life. We have so much to be grateful here with all of our space. And right now I bearly need to turn on the heat. We don’t have air conditioning and just put up with the uncomfortable heat in the house for a couple of weeks.

I will go through the closet once again and think it’s safe to store away my magic gloves and head bands. And time to pull out the baseball caps and sun hats! I need to go through my closet as well and pull out some capris and shorts. Store away some more sweaters, but definitely still need some.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Logics and all,

Very interesting subject Logics regarding asset protection. Always interested in that.

I woke up early, so I did a little study on quinine. I am still assessing what I learned and I want to do more reading before concluding anything. I did do more reading on the complexity of RNA viruses. Apparently the CDC came out with new guidelines reversing some of its earlier recommendations. Personally, I think the earlier ones were correct for this virus. But just my opinion.

Making progress on preparations for hurricane season. Today, I will take the last roll of ground beef out of the freezer to thaw. Winn-Dixie has fresh salmon on sale, a great price for here. This weekend, I will buy some. Love it. I am seeing some evidence that food prices are coming down and availability has improved. Perhaps, there is no room left in the freezer for those who emptied the store shelves a month ago.

Old dance partner had a skin cancer biopsy yesterday. He finally sent me a picture of the "bump". At least from the photo, it didn't look like his last skin cancer, but it wasn't normal either.

Today, we will have stir-fry and I will be adding a couple of garden peppers to it. In the past, I only grew green peppers because hubs likes them. I didn't. These new peppers should be interesting. They seem happy in the Florida heat.

I am going with my neighbor's yard service. Just the front yard and ditches. It will be every week which seems excessive to me, but he said it would be convenient for him since he was next door every week. The price was good, so ok. I will do the back yard myself. It is level and shouldn't bother my bad knee.

It is 4 days post eye injection and 10 days post tooth extraction. I plan to do a bit more in the yard today. Temperatures pushing 90F or more, so electrolyte alert when outside. Hubs thinks the summer cycle with afternoon rains will start next week. We will see.

Normal frugal activities here. Cooking outside on the porch to reduce house heating and reduce ac use.

Today, I am grateful to wake up to another lovely Florida morning. Have a good day everyone.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning my fellow hermit misers

I set my alarm for 6 and it went off and so did my dogs. They are outside doing their morning routine.

It was kind of cool last night and now feels warmish already. It isn't supposed to be as warm as yesterday. Only in the mid 90s.

Today might be my low key down day. Maybe bathe another pup. And the usual sweeping etc. Oh and pull some weeds. I marked out an area.

I'm trying to enjoy my simple pandemic life. No money spent either!

We had a nice little gathering last evening in memory of my departed older sibling. We maintained our distance. Sat outside under the trees. Had pizza and beer. It was good.

Hope all have a great day
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning,

I am up, early again (before 7 is early for me) weird dreams . Last night I dreamed about making meatballs, hundreds of meatballs with strange ingredients including torn up photographs :shock: I wish I knew what was going on with my sleep :?

I will be having the youngest grand today. Hopefully the weather is good enough for us to go on some "nature walk" altho the yard is still very wet.

I hope to get a second coat of paint on the camper floor and the usual daily stuff done in the house.
IF the sun comes out i hope to get some laundry on the lines outside.
Not much else to report, I am not feeling bored lately...just very unsettled and can't figure out why unless it is underlying virus concerns/thoughts.

JCKitty
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Another overcast gloomy day here. Normally I like overcast but I am ready for a warm up and sun.
My brother, SIL, and great nephew visited yesterday. My brother had called to ask if he could bring some plant clippings from his yard to put on my burn pile. Also he asked if they could stay to visit. Of course yes to everything. I have not seen my SIL since late Nov and my brother and his grandson since Christmas Eve. I asked them to come inside but my brother insisted we sit in my garage social distancing. He brought some lawn chairs and I had some in my garage. We had a nice visit for about 45 min. Weird to be sitting outside in the garage, with masks on, talking but still nice to have company. My SIL brought me some masks.

After they left I took my trash to my neighbors house. I usually go for a little ride to keep my car going. Decided to go in to town to see if there was any toilet paper. Teddi rode shot gun.lol. He is always so happy to go for a ride but usually about halfway in to town he curls up in a little ball and goes to sleep. Periodically when he senses a change in my driving ie stoplights he will wake up and look out the window. I could not believe the long lines of cars in the fast food drive thru. Also one ice cream shop had people lined up out on the road. Thank goodness it was a 4 lane road. I love their ice cream but I would never sit in a line that long. Went to Dollar Tree they only had generic TP. It was 2 ply and 1.00 for 4 rolls. I thought what the heck give it a try.. I am not a TP snob and as long as it does the job that is what is important. Then went across the street to Walgreens. There was one small 4 pack of a name brand TP. However there were large packs of a generic that stated it was comparable to a name brand. They were 2 packs for 10.00. I bought 2 packages. I am good for quite a while now.

Have a good and frugal day everyone. Stay safe.
Janet Alliesmama