Daily Check-In May 25, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Daily Check-In May 25, 2020

Post by littlemiss63 »

Let's get us started this beautiful day.

littlemiss63

Re: Daily Check-In May 25, 2020

Post by littlemiss63 »

Good Morning Everyone,

I knew nobody on earth was up this early except me. I have had a very restless night and I finally gave up and decided that I would clean my house this morning and then maybe I can go back and get me a short nap before the day "SHOULD" be starting.

I have placed me a ship to the house order on Walmart.com as I am unable to find the Ritz Crackers - Hint of Salt Crackers at either my local Walmart or at Kroger. I find this so strange and wonder why, but this is the second week in a row that I have been unable to get them at either store, yet I can order them on-line from Walmart. The people that fill this order are going to wonder if this is all this person eats? 6 boxes of crackers, 2 jars of mayo, 16 cans of tuna and a box of parchment paper. In order to get free shipping I had to have $30.00 so that was what a ordered. Things for the pantry stock=up and my elusive crackers. A gal, has got to do what a gal has to do!!!

I bragged to soon yesterday about the "NO RAIN". My front sidewalk needed power washing and since it was such a nice day I thought I will get that done while it's warm. Well, I had been out there about an hours and it begins to get dark and the downpour came. I got soaking wet and that ended that bright idea. The part I got done, looks great and I will try to finish the rest today when I get home from treatment. I sure do love my little power washer that I got last year when Harbor Freight had them on sale. It has already paid for itself for power washing that I need yearly would run me around $300.00. That is something that I can still do for myself.

As I was power washing again I admired the yard. I do believe it is the first time since I've lived here that it looks this good. If it's got to rain then this is my reward so I need to hush about it. Every year usually an animal will dig a hole or something comes along to kill a spot. One year a female turkey decided that she would make a hole to wallow in. I never saw anything like that. DH would put out seed and the next thing he knew she was rolling around like crazy in the dirt then eating the seed. We finally gave up and eventually she stopped coming. By then it was to late in the season for grass to grow and there was the bare spot she left us.

Ok, good people here's wishing you a wonderful day and I'm going back to bed. It's 5:00 and surely I will sleep a little.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's supposed to get into the low 70s today but sun going in and out, mostly in. The 4 coast states Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Delaware opened the beaches this weekend but it really hasn't been that nice and in fact has been on the chilly side. Oh well. Once the weather does turn to summer I'm sure it will hit with a vengeance.

Yesterday I followed a link from Ancestry as they had a free search this weekend of military records. I put in my dad's name and came across a few Monkses. Decided to write them down. Including my dad, there were 21 and they lived all in the general vicinity of where my dad grew up; some I was definitely able to spot as his brothers. I'm guessing that the others were cousins that we never knew about. I had mentioned that I was going to see what I could find out about our ancestry at the library because they have free access to the Ancestry records, but I never got around to it. It seems from what I do remember and now this, I've got a lot to work with. There are some sites on the internet that I can research further for free. I will just have to wait until access to the library is possible again.

I've been updating my website and plan to work on it a bit more today. The rest of the day will be spent reading, playing computer games and watching Hallmark most probably.

Tonight's meal is a hot dog with homemade potato salad and either some corn or baked beans.

Today here in the U.S. is Memorial Day officially celebrated on the last Monday in May. It was originally celebrated on May 30, but in 1971 Congress changed it to the last Monday of the month to make it a 3 day weekend.

This day is dedicated to those service men and women who gave their lives for freedom and country. It is also a time to remember loved ones who have passed away. The roots of Memorial Day observance, goes back to 1865 and the end of the Civil War.

Did you Know? Memorial Day was first called Decoration Day. It was changed to Memorial Day in 1882.

Memorial Day also marks the unofficial start of summer. It's celebration usually consists of a parade but due to the current healthcare crisis, there will be small gatherings honoring our brave service people, some of which may be streamed so that others can participate virtually.

Have a wonderful day.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Indeed, this is a beautiful day. The temperatures are going to be held down by the clouds, but the rains so far have been gentle and nourishing to my garden. We have our first tropical wave of the summer season. A nudge to remind me to work on hurricane readiness.

Yesterday, the day stayed cool with clouds and at 2 weeks post tooth extraction, I felt I could lean over and pick up concrete blocks without risking dry socket from the extraction. I started building on my gardens again. I am recycling the garden blocks from a garden in the front that just didn't work out. It is mostly dismantled now and the area cleaned up.

Today, hubs wants ground beef burgers and beer, a holiday feeling kind of food. And I plan to go to Winn-Dixie for fresh salmon on a great sale(I love fresh salmon) and a couple of containers of coffee(hurricane season supplies) also on sale. Also get some yogurt and cottage cheese as well. So it will be one stop shopping.

Today, I am grateful that I see the good in life. Have a good day everyone.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning frugal hermits

I slept in today. We decided to take a day off from walking. And it was perfect timing too. I slept pretty good last night

It was an exciting evening - weather wise. We were under severe thunderstorm watch. It started pouring down. We were sitting out on the porch watching it - and boom! Loudest thunder I have ever heard. We ran inside - :mrgreen:

Tornadoes were spotted in the big city. My niece and her daughter were taking shelter in their laundry room.

I was reading posts on facebook and there might be a line down out by the parental house. Will go check it out later. At least it is nice and cool.

have a great day. And we did need the rain.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

I had a pretty good night, there were a couple of weather alerts during the night from flooding. Earlier in the evening we were under a tornado warning for about 45 minutes. I live at the bottom the area under the tornado warning.

My power flickered a bit but didn’t go off.

I had some blueberries that looked like they are starting to go bad. So I made more blueberry muffins. I still had 2 frozen muffins in the freezer. But felt it was better to bake them and use up my blueberries rather than take a chance and have them rot.

I will simply put the two that are currently frozen in front of these when i do freeze them.

Penny