Daily Check-in June 22, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in June 22, 2020

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Another sleepless night.

I am just going to start the daily but have no idea of what the rest of my day is going to be.

Have a good and frugal day and stay safe.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-in June 22, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Janet and all,

Today is eye injection day with evaluation. So both eyes will be dilated and my day will be fuzzy as a result. I asked for an early Monday morning appointment in order to reduce the risk of Covid contact with my face against their various machines.

My married son called his Dad yesterday and it was an interesting talk. With working from home and the likelihood of no school for the kids, they are thinking of traveling. I am glad they are considering home schooling. She was trained as a pre-K teacher, so home schooling would be easy for her and probably best for the kids as well.

My neighbor is scheduled to come home from the hospital on Tuesday. They have a lot of money going out the door right now and they didn't need this expense on top of it. They have to replace their almost new roof due to shingle failure. Even with some money back on the shingles, it is still going to cost them a lot for the new roof.

This morning before I leave for the eye doctor appointment, I will put up the rest of the on sale green peppers and such. The rest of the day will be resting.

Today, I am grateful for my good health. Have a good day all.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

We had a short storm where is rained like crazy and even had some hail. I was at Mom and Dad's a the time. Their cable and internet went out. Then, a couple of hours after I got home, my power went out for 30-40 minutes. I found my candle lighter by feel, then found my battery-operated Lantern in the first place I looked. Not to long later I sheepishly realized I could have used my phone's flashlight to find things. Then my phone rang about 10:40. Caller ID said my power company. It was a recorded message that they were going to have to do an emergency power shutdown in my area to do some repairs. It would start about 11 PM and last about an hour.I fell asleep, woke up enough to realize power was out. Then I woke up just enough to realize power kicked back on about midnight. (Love battery backup in my clock radio.

Otherwise, not much going on today.

Have a great day,
Maggie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

We're going to have a hot day here today, high 80s with a temp that feels in the low 90s. Although the humidity will decrease from what it is now, that's still warm. Had to use my A/C last night to sleep. Tried twice cooling the room and then shutting down to use the fan only but too uncomfortable. And even with that although I slept through the night, I feel a bit groggy this morning.

Today I have to go to the bank and will probably put gas in my car. I haven't filled up since March 13th. I could at this rate of driving go perhaps another two months but I'm between a half tank and a quarter and I typically don't let it go below that as I try to keep my expenditure to about $35 but no more than $40.

Today will be the same old thing. I do have my Vitality Group call but not sure I want to join in this morning. I'll be running to the bank and the gas station around 9:30; call starts at 10:30. If I'm back in time, I'll join in.

For dinner tonight, I have written in hot dogs and potato salad. I like to make this at least 5-6 hours ahead so it's chilled when I eat it.

Today has been designated as "World Rainforest Day" relatively new, created in 2017 to raise awareness of the importance of rainforests around the world for Earth's ecosystem as well as our own health. Rainforests have been decreasing at an alarming rate and the world needs to reverse this trend.

These magnificent forests are extremely important for our planet. 20% of the oxygen we breath comes from rain forests. They also absorb harmful carbon dioxide and aid in stabilizing climate. About half of the world's plant and animal species call them their home.

Rainforests exist all over the world. The largest, the Amazon is located in South America, but there are tropical rainforests in southeast Asia, too. They can also be found in the United States, including Hawaii, the Appalachians, and even Alaska. There is also a rainforest on Vancouver Island in Canada, too.

Have a wonderful and safe day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

mbrudnic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:39 am Good Morning,

We had a short storm where is rained like crazy and even had some hail. I was at Mom and Dad's a the time. Their cable and internet went out. Then, a couple of hours after I got home, my power went out for 30-40 minutes. I found my candle lighter by feel, then found my battery-operated Lantern in the first place I looked. Not to long later I sheepishly realized I could have used my phone's flashlight to find things. Then my phone rang about 10:40. Caller ID said my power company. It was a recorded message that they were going to have to do an emergency power shutdown in my area to do some repairs. It would start about 11 PM and last about an hour.I fell asleep, woke up enough to realize power was out. Then I woke up just enough to realize power kicked back on about midnight. (Love battery backup in my clock radio.

Otherwise, not much going on today.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Maggie I read a story about a woman who said it took her a long time to realize she was using the flashlight on her phone while looking for her phone..so you did not do too bad after all.. lol.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am up fairly early for me as I need to get as much done as possible before heading to the car dealership. Mondays are my crazy housework days so this should be interesting to say the least.

I have the first of three loads of wash in and I hope to get most of it done before we have to leave. Between cleaning both the house and the car interior, I need to process the meat I brought home from the Costco run, find out if our licensing facility is open, and get my sewing machine ready for the next batch of masks, which I had hoped to start today, but now know I won't be able to do until at least tomorrow (need them done by the 2nd of July for oldest DS).

I ordered the mini computer yesterday and was told that I would be receiving it anywhere from July 3 to July 15 th. I am hoping for the 3rd, as that is when youngest DS will be home and able to get it up and running my TV the way we want it. I think he also wants to do some work on Hubby's television to get him a few more stations on it and may just move my android box down there for his use. I think if he likes how this works on my TV he will want to do the same with his big TV downstairs.

Can't say there will be no money spent today, but I sure hope the rest of the month goes a bit less spendy.

Frugal happenings here today. Well of course my daily walk for exercise, detailing the vehicle ourselves, processing the meat into meal sized portions, hanging laundry up outside to dry, all meals prepared at home with what I have on hand, going through the list I made to see what will be bought next for the pantry, and hopefully getting some knitting done as well (no sewing other than setting up my machine for a marathon sewing attempt tomorrow and perhaps on Wednesday).

I just might have to figure out a few more cost cutting measures. It's not that we can't afford the new vehicle and could in fact pay cash right away for it, it is just a way better deal to finance for a few years at 0% interest, and get 1,500.00 off the top right away (they are also giving away gift cards which I can use to purchase groceries to stock the pantry $250.00 gift cards are nothing to sneeze at right now).

I have actually managed something that makes me very happy. Over the social distancing aspect of the Covid-19 virus, and having to wash our hands even more than usual, I started to put out soaps that we had opened and started using from hotel visits. There were lots of them (I always take a small plastic bag with me and drop those opened soaps into it) and so far that is all we have been using for this time. My little basket of soaps is going slowly down. I think there are only three bars left. So this experiment has worked out wonderfully and I have managed to get some bathroom use it ups completed. Now just to work on those opened and partially used lotions.

Supper tonight is going to be Lazy Perogies....

Joy today is in knowing that we can afford nice things and still help our children out if necessary.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/