Daily check in June 29, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily check in June 29, 2020

Post by chocolite »

Y'all. I almost just got into a fight with a chick over people wearing masks on the NextDoor app. I am so over selfish, irresponsible people.

Cat Lover, thanks for posting the video; I loved it. Hated to hear Tony and his wife caught the virus but so glad they are well now.

Clem, I totally get your comment about feeling a strange vibe or whatever. I'm feeling it too. Almost like when you hold your breath and are waiting to exhale. Weird.

I was reading this morning that this virus is mutating in the way it is transmitted (if I read correctly - there was a lot of scientific text and my brain just couldn't. Anyway, supposedly this particular mutation is more easily caught by people. Great......

DH and I are rethinking our vacation planned in September. Usually, we do social distancing just by virtue of the crowds being gone after school starts, and we can do delivery or take-out for the meals I don't cook. But now...we're not sure what to expect, so we're kind of taking a pause and will just keep an eye on that area and how things are closer to our vacation.

I did a Walmart grocery pickup this morning and it went great. I'm really impressed with Walmart. They were only out of three items I had on my list (and luckily, they were not essential at this time), and they were really hustling to get people's orders to them. And, they're cheaper than Kroger, so I'm happy. The last time I went to our neighborhood Kroger, there were a lot of people, including some employees, not wearing masks, so I've decided that will be the last time for that particular Kroger for a long time.

I'm rereading The Sound and the Fury, because it's been a minute since I first read it :D and to provide a Hemingway fix that I need every so often.

There are clouds gathering and I think I heard a rumble of thunder a few minutes ago. I wish I'd waited to water. Oh well, a good soaking would be really good for the yard and roses. Over time, Audrey has getting better about storms. She still has a ways to go but I'm so glad she doesn't usually freak out like she used to do.

Quilter, I'm with you about having plenty of time to read and watch TV. Usually I don't watch much during the weekdays b/c DH is still working from home and I don't want to disturb him. Although he says it doesn't, and I usually keep the volume down during the day...but still. It's nice having the quiet as I read or play online.
Patty

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

Was lucky enough to get a full flat of local strawberries this AM from the markdown rack at the fruit and veg place for 10.00 so I brought them home and just made them up into freezer jam...for the masses.

I had found the same deal yesterday but made a huge pie and cleaned and froze the rest, got to thinking about freezer jam so went back this AM in hopes of finding more...score!

I am starting to feel a little better about things, but still not "quite there" . I continue to mask and glove up if I go into a store, still not grocery shopping for myself, instacart...people around here have started not wearing masks and taking there kids into stores...I just can't.

My county has been having more cases of Covid-19 and there is talk that we will be going back to tighter rules...we shall see.
Pantry is looking good and I am staying busy. . I think i need another project....
I got so down and discouraged that i even thought about selling my home and moving to the next county where DD1 lives.....quieter and away from the brother. But he has settled down and as long as he doesn't try to put any more political signs on any of my properties again...I think it was just an over reaction on my part...he was trying to get a rise out of me and he succeeded.

Off to find something to eat as I was so busy making jam that I forgot about lunch....PBJ with fresh strawberry jam ...easy peasy

Have a good day all,

JCKitty

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Creative, I vote Yes on the strawberry picking. Seems safe and your area is pretty safe in general - a lot safer than my area!

Kitty, good to see you and glad you feel better. I’d like to give your brother a kick in the rear.

Go me! I got the whole backyard cut! I can hear my mom now saying, “FCL! I worry about you!” Talking with neighbor across the street I said I was going to cut the grass 1/2 at a time. He said “Don’t do it now!” It is so hot and I said I wouldn’t. I continued trimming in front and then went inside for awhile. It seemed to get a bit overcast (not really) and because I’m stubborn as a mule I decided to do half the yard - the one side we call “the strip” and the area near the utility building which has a bit of shade. But once I started I kept going. The bad thing was that I had not put a glass of water on the table in the “shady glen” area since I didn’t expect to do the whole yard. The thing about our weather is it doesn’t cool down at night. Usually summer nights are in the high 70s but neighbor said when he went for his walk this morning it was 87 F. (30.5 C.) So I didn’t know when I’d get it done. Now I’m happy that is off my list for another 10 days.

I decided to treat myself to Wendy’s drive-through for the first time since March. I wore my mask and Wendy’s woman had her mask. I paid with cash and said, “no change.” She didn’t seem surprised so others must do it. It sure tasted good!

Happy to be in a/c for the rest of the day.

mona50

Post by mona50 »

For the TONY SHALHOUB fans - Has anyone watched "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" ? It is very entertaining on Amazon Prime and Tony is fantastic in the series!!!

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mona50 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm
For the TONY SHALHOUB fans - Has anyone watched "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" ? It is very entertaining on Amazon Prime and Tony is fantastic in the series!!!

I watched it and loved it.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

mona50 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm
Hi Mimi,

Yes I’m a fan of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and have watched all three seasons. I believe that Tony Shaloub won an Emmy a year or so ago for it.