Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

Post by frugalmom »

I was looking at freezers and they have been gone and out of stock for a long time. I check periodically to see. Do you have a freezer? Do you like the standing kind or the horizontal chest freezers better and why? Which one really fits more? I don't want to really dig through a chest freezer but I read some think it is better?

Now it is kind of worrisome that they have been out for so long and if everyone is getting them, am I behind the eight ball? I prepared or so I thought and have two small freezers fully stocked but ran out of room and now with meat shortages and prices tripling out here, I worry I am still not prepared enough!? I wanted to
get through at least the winter without having to go out!

I just went to Walmart yesterday (although once they go to self-checkout only I will boycott them-just for the principle) and prices actually are TRIPLE than they have been in the past on many of the items I usually buy.

So what should I do if we cannot get a freezer?! And does canned meat even taste palatable?

Jackielou

Re: Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

Post by Jackielou »

I have two freezers (one is probably close to 35 years old). One is for baking, veggies from the garden and fruit.

The other is for meat.

One is an upright and one a small chest. Actually neither of them is overly large.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I have a small chest freezer in my basement. It is perfect for two of us. I also have the freezer in my refrigerator.

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

No and I wish we did have one. DH and I were talking about this a few days ago. My anxiety is ramping up. We have a decent size freezer (side by side) but we have a perfect place to put a small upright. I've looked for them off and on over time and they were hard to come by.
Patty

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I never see them for sale used any more. We have a small chest freezer that we organize with plastic baskets from the dollar store. It works out well for a small family. We have had it since about 1996.
Mackie

Carol V

Post by Carol V »

frugalmom wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
I was looking at freezers and they have been gone and out of stock for a long time. I check periodically to see. Do you have a freezer? Do you like the standing kind or the horizontal chest freezers better and why? Which one really fits more? I don't want to really dig through a chest freezer but I read some think it is better?

Now it is kind of worrisome that they have been out for so long and if everyone is getting them, am I behind the eight ball? I prepared or so I thought and have two small freezers fully stocked but ran out of room and now with meat shortages and prices tripling out here, I worry I am still not prepared enough!? I wanted to
get through at least the winter without having to go out!

I just went to Walmart yesterday (although once they go to self-checkout only I will boycott them-just for the principle) and prices actually are TRIPLE than they have been in the past on many of the items I usually buy.

So what should I do if we cannot get a freezer?! And does canned meat even taste palatable?
I did have a small chest freezer till my brother ruined it by unplugging it with food in it and letting it sit. By the time he got it to my house it was so full of mold and rotten food I just closed it up and had it hauled off. I do have two fridges with freezers. One is a large drawer freezer and deep shelf and the other is a side by side. Both are full. I buy a little extra with each shopping order. I had thought about getting another small freezer but I'm doing okay as is.