Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Have you stocked up on meats and a freezer?

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm
I have a standing freezer (no meat though, vegetarian) and love it. My parents had a horizontal chest freezer and it was a PITA to find anything in there - and that was with a hyper-organized mom running it; I can't imagine if my average-organized self tried to keep a chest freezer straight.
Lol-I need to be that hyper-organized mom! That was what I was worried about bc even though I inventoried the food supply in the pantry, I did not really keep up the freezer section. Idk what is buried under the recesses bc I am basically sticking it in and hoping it closes-lol! Not a good organizational technique! LOL! Ok so that is one vote for an upright one which is really the one I wanted but my bff had one and twice it shut off on her and she says it smelled like a dead person was rotting in there before she figured out it was her freezer!

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Jackielou wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:52 pm
I have two freezers (one is probably close to 35 years old). One is for baking, veggies from the garden and fruit.

The other is for meat.

One is an upright and one a small chest. Actually neither of them is overly large.
Which one do you like better in terms of getting things out of the freezer and storing also, Jackie?

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

chocolite wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm
No and I wish we did have one. DH and I were talking about this a few days ago. My anxiety is ramping up. We have a decent size freezer (side by side) but we have a perfect place to put a small upright. I've looked for them off and on over time and they were hard to come by.
Yeah, I am with YOU! I just don't want to have to go out during a worsening pandemic during the winter season as I get flus and colds so easily as it is and turns into pneumonia usually for me at least once a year. I just want to hunker down which is very hard for me but hey, with a pandemic going on I can certainly make an exception with my life on the line! And darn the freezers are getting so expensive-maybe they were and I just didn't look at how much they were before thinking I did not need it!?

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

colonialgirl wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:31 pm
I had a chest freezer for years. I replaced it with the biggest upright I could get at the time. Chest freezers are more efficient energy wise, but if you are not a tall person you may have problems reaching things. I always did. I had everything broken up into baskets, marked and inventoried but I dreaded going down for food because I would end up leaning over grasping for things with my feet off the floor. I always had visions of tumbling head first into the freezer and the lid slamming down. Not likely - but I hated it.

I love my upright - it is easy to organize and also easy to defrost. I will give one piece of advice and most will not like it but if you get a new freezer do not get frost free. It will cut the length of time an item is preserved significantly. The defrosting process involves a fan running warmer air over surfaces - that includes the food package surfaces. So they will slightly thaw and refreeze and you will get freezer burn.
Manual defrosting is not fun -but it really takes only about 15-25 minutes and then you are done and your freezer life for things will more than double.

My upright is 20 cubic feet but since I used to garden extensively and because we bought a half cow, we needed the room. Even though we don't do that any longer, I still stock up on sales and I like having room. I think my freezer has paid for itself multiple times over the years.

If you want a good giggle - watch this lady's set up on you tube. She runs it on solar - but she has 7 freezers. It is amazing to see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq8NN-teoPA
Thanks, I could use a good giggle these days! That is cool running it on solar! I heard about frost-free being better-but a pain in the neck too! I think frost-free would be easier to drain from a chest freezer than an upright!? And I always wondered what do you do with the frozen meats, etc when you are defrosting the fridge?

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 pm
I am in the process of buying one right now. Lowe's still has plenty of them in stock here. Used ones you can't find anymore, my appliance tells me that he sells them as fast as they hit his store and aren't even cleaned up yet. I am on his waiting list, but I don't have much hope. I want a small upright, I do know that the chest type are more efficient, but I am short and I want to be able to easily get something out of the freezer and not have to dig.

I have a quarter side of beef coming the first or second week in September, so I've got a little more time. I do have a nice freezer on my side by side and another one on the top of my refrigerator in the garage. It's full of butter, premade dinners from leftovers, soups that I have made, meat and veggies'. I think one pays for itself in a short period of time if prices continue to rise the way they have the last 2-3 months.
Really? Because I looked up Lowe's as one of my go-to places! I will have to check again-wonder if it is a regional thing!. Note that once you put it in the cart then it often says out of stock or not available when I do check sites if it doesn't already indicate out of stock from the beginning! Same thing when I went to Best Buy (store was not open to go in but you could order curbside). So my son ordered his own tv on sale and we ordered it curbside and it said it would be r ready in one hour but an hour and a half still not ready and we asked the salesman. Apparently, out of stock, and after they checked then they notified us on the cell that it was not available-sheesh-wasted about two hours of my time that day waiting!

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Not frost free Ellen - Manual Defrost. and no the chest freezer is much harder to defrost - not all of the water runs out and you are hanging upside down head first soaking It up with towels.

When I defrost my upright,I open the door and put the food in laundry baskets or totes. Cover them with layers of newspaper and a blanket and set them in the air conditioned house. Then I set a fan in front of the open freezer that blows air into it. Within 5 minutes sheets of frost start breaking loose and falling to the bottom. I take a plastic dust pan and just scoop the water and frost into a bucket and throw outside. Your frozen good won't thaw in 25 minutes and that is about all the time it takes using a fan. We have also used our wet/dry shop vac to suck the melt out of the freezer. That works really well.

Hope that helps.