Daily check in July 1, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily check in July 1, 2020

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Mackie, good luck with the job.

Janet, thinking of you and hope you are well.

Happy Canada Day! As you all know, I love Canada. High on my bucket list is an area very familiar to Jackie - Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff. I’ve been lucky to visit a number of places in Canada over the years.

Victoria, B.C. is a small, gorgeous city with hanging flower baskets and the amazing Butchart Gardens. An old boyfriend and I traveled there by ferry from the top of Washington.

Twice I’ve visited Ottawa, the capital of Canada, once for work and once with a friend. My company did work for the Canada Department of Foreign Affairs and they arranged for a collègue and I to attend Prime Minister’s Question Period when we were there. On my own after work ended I rented a car and drove to Montreal, stopping at the Hotel Montebello (Le Château Montebello), a grand historic log hotel.

Toronto. I visited once with a friend who was there on business. Loved it.

New Brunswick and PEI. I’m SO glad I went there last year during normal times to see where my great great grandmother grew up.

On other matters. I did my June budget yesterday. Disaster. Really just a lot of expenses that couldn’t be avoided such as dentist, all my Rx and homeowners insurance. A news story yesterday said that windstorm coverage (hurricane) was increasing by 33% in some cases. I can attest to that. Yikes!! I live in an area with very little choice of insurers. (My area was a pariah to the insurance industry before our whole nation was a pariah to the world.)

I’ll stay home today and do some extra cleaning this morning before a leisurely afternoon. It is still very hot.

Have a good day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Coolish morning here and the sun is shining. After 2 days of rain, I am going to enjoy the nice weather today. I need to get moving today. EvenF though this is a stat holiday in Canada things need to be done around the house. No rest for the wicked as my Mom used to say.

I still have a bit of work to do on the June socks, before I can start on the July mitts. I did not find much in the way of suitable yarn in my leftover containers, but believe I have enough to make a few pairs of smaller mitts for eldest DS to take to the school for small children who manage to forget or have theirs mysteriously disappear.

I then need to start on some Christmas gifts (Hubby needs a new Mr. Roger's sweater as he calls them) and perhaps some cardigans, cocoon type for myself. I found a lovely quick knit free pattern on a knitting site I frequent. I am thinking that this winter could also be a time for me to knit a dress (have a pattern for that as well, just trying to lose a bit more in the weight department first).

Frugally speaking all meals will be made here at home, I will be walking for exercise, baking a loaf of bread, baking some treats, and making a list of groceries/paper goods matching up coupons and sales. Recycling fabric is always done in this house and today will be no different. Hubby pulled some tattered t-shirts out of his closet and drawers, these will be recycled into rags for his workshop. I am recycling denim into a quilt and the strips will be sewn today.

Windows that are open right now to enable the cool morning breezes into the house will be closed as the sun rises to keep the coolness in for as long as possible. Trying to give the air conditioner a bit of a rest.

Supper tonight is going to be Hamburgers done on the grill, along with some raw veggies and dip.

Entertainment will happen when the sun goes down and we watch the cities fireworks from our deck (well hopefully watch them).

Joy today is in knowing that all is well in my little world.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 am Good morning friends.

Mackie, good luck with the job.

Janet, thinking of you and hope you are well.

Happy Canada Day! As you all know, I love Canada. High on my bucket list is an area very familiar to Jackie - Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff. I’ve been lucky to visit a number of places in Canada over the years.

Victoria, B.C. is a small, gorgeous city with hanging flower baskets and the amazing Butchart Gardens. An old boyfriend and I traveled there by ferry from the top of Washington.

Twice I’ve visited Ottawa, the capital of Canada, once for work and once with a friend. My company did work for the Canada Department of Foreign Affairs and they arranged for a collègue and I to attend Prime Minister’s Question Period when we were there. On my own after work ended I rented a car and drove to Montreal, stopping at the Hotel Montebello (Le Château Montebello), a grand historic log hotel.

Toronto. I visited once with a friend who was there on business. Loved it.

New Brunswick and PEI. I’m SO glad I went there last year during normal times to see where my great great grandmother grew up.

On other matters. I did my June budget yesterday. Disaster. Really just a lot of expenses that couldn’t be avoided such as dentist, all my Rx and homeowners insurance. A news story yesterday said that windstorm coverage (hurricane) was increasing by 33% in some cases. I can attest to that. Yikes!! I live in an area with very little choice of insurers. (My area was a pariah to the insurance industry before our whole nation was a pariah to the world.)

I’ll stay home today and do some extra cleaning this morning before a leisurely afternoon. It is still very hot.

Have a good day.
Florida, I was born in Vancouver and when I was small we would travel to Stanley Park another gorgeous garden on the mainland rather than the island.

Then Dad was transferred to Toronto where I lived until I was almost 17 and we moved again. This time Dad wanted back to the prairies to be nearer his parents and my Mom's dad.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

Happy July, but oh how fast June did race past in its flurry of medical wrangling & familial squabbles. June also had 90+ degrees, and some nights below freezing.

We have had two chilly days, yesterday’s high was 68°F, there is three days before that the high was in the 90s. I’m Really ready for the temps to go back into the 80’s & 90’s, both for my garden & for me.

At 6 AM, it was 48°F here, now currently 51°F. I have house windows open to have as much cool airflow through as possible. Then I will close the windows about 7:30AM, and hopefully the house will still be fairly cool when I get home later.

Yesterday was the day of the scans for me, a CT scan and a nuclear medicine bone scan. They both required an IV, the kind of stuff that leaves nasty aftertaste‘s and left me feeling kind of weakish. This morning, my joints ache like crazy, and I do not know if that is leftovers from the scan medicines Or if it is the nerve disorder pills finally metabolizing out of my system, or if it is me having not taken pain relievers much in past week.

However today I get to go back to the same hospital and have a COVID-19 test, which I have been praying will read as negative. It is one more thing that is in preparation to my July 7 surgery.

Over the next couple of days, I need to mix up about 30 pounds of gluten-free flour, plant my little onions next to the bean rows, and clean up a bit in my bedroom. I also need to make a list of easy type meals, talk to RS president, and get some laundry finished by Monday evening.

We are talking about going camping up the mountains this weekend, so shopping will need to be done for that, as well as returning library books today. I put some other books on hold last night, and I am hoping they will be ready to pick up tomorrow afternoon, or Friday morning. At latest I will hopefully be able to pick them up on Monday morning.

LOL! DH left about 20 minutes ago, saying as he left, “you should see in bed today to recover from the scans you got yesterday.” That kind of makes me chuckle, as when he gets home he will ask “What did you do today?” Or, “why didn’t you do this,” or “why didn’t you do that?“ I may indeed stay in bed for another half hour, then get up and turn the sprinkler on my garden, while I have breakfast. Then I will turn on the sprinkler on the west side of the house until it is time to go back to the hospital to have the Covid test.

I am planning to have DS 17 drive me to the hospital, as I have been feeling with the week over the last several days, and felt it would be a good idea to have a driver today. It also gives me a chance to knit as we drive along.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am Good morning all,

Chicken wing Day. Yum. Thanks for information and great story, Logics.

I love a productive day. Yesterday was a pretty good one. I didn't get everything done, but it felt like a step forward day. I was disappointed in the Bass Pro shop. Like so many retailers these days, lots of empty shelves. Weather was a bit cooler, so more yard work. Some house work as well. And finished off a bag of frozen fish that just wasn't that good. Hubs said it tasted fine.

Today, I hope to visit Home Depot early. I want to get the material to do a DIY rain barrel. See if they have the required fittings. I expect the fittings to cost about $10. The trash can cost $10. This compares to a rain barrel at $70. I hope it is a frugal success. Also need some more rebar. The grocery store ads came out yesterday and there was nothing I wanted. However, we are low on water softener salt and that is a must have.

Today, I hope to finish installing the new window curtain rod. It is a very long window and I can only go up and down on a ladder a limited number of times thanks to my bad knee. Then to hunt for a lightweight set of curtains, multiple panels.

Today, I will also be doing some repair sewing and some cloth recycle. Hope to do some gardening as well.

Today, I am grateful that I have a positive attitude and a garden to keep my happy. Have a good day all.
Your comment about the bag of fish not being that good, reminded me of the GF Subway sandwich Dh bought me for lunch yesterday between my scans. Dh said the Gf bread smelled like beer, well I still can't smell but I know it tasted awful! I ended up eating only the meat & veggies & tossing the bread, then called to complain. The gal I spoke to said she would do a free replacement sandwich & recommended I have the bread toasted. (I usually don't complain, but this Was Bad-tasting!)
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I am sleeping longer at once but still waking up about 5:45 am. Part is my Tylenol is wearing off by then.

I put away the coffee my son sent me. It was a different brand. He did run it past me I agree to the change. Then I had to figure out how to store it as there were 100 pods loose in the carton. I put all I could into my coffee pod drawer and then filled a Tupperware rectangle 4. This takes less space than the boxes of 12 did.

My second package from JoAnns is out for Delivery today. My order was split into two orders.

I need to wash the white fabric. I bought it to line bags. As the original fabric I was planning on lining had an off white background now I am not so sure I want to use this fabric at this time.

Penny