Daily check in July 6, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in July 6, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in July 6, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Monday morning all,

Another lovely Florida morning. It is raining here. A nice soft, quiet pop up rain. It rained during the night as well. Woke me up around 2 am. I sat on the porch and enjoyed it. I should not need to water this morning. I am going shopping this morning. The dollar store has these interesting s hooks. I bought 5 for a specific purpose and then realized I could use them for other things as well. So I will go back and buy more. I cleaned the local Home Depot out of rafter hooks, so this is the best option.

The beans are soaking for cooking later today. I will toss the last piece of chicken in with them and add the fat from yesterday's hamburgers. I have a ton of Cubanella peppers in the garden and a few poblano. I may add a frozen jalapeño to kick the spice level up.

Yesterday was sweet with home security deliveries from Amazon. Now to read the instructions etc.

Tomorrow is "blackout" day sponsored by BLM. They want all their followers to stay home and not shop. I plan to shop. There will be fewer people, maybe. Fewer people mean less risk and according to the media, it is quite risky right now in Florida.

Today, I am grateful for rain. Have a good day all.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Another hot day here today near 90 degrees with threat of thunderstorms this afternoon. I've put the a/c on for a while to help get the humidity out of my apartment and hopefully will be able to turn it off in about 1/2 hour.

Proud of myself as I did pull out a couple of the suitcases (1 of which contained a 20" fabric case and a 36" or so gym bag type) I had in one of my closets and took all the VHS videos I had left and put them in the other. I will take them to Goodwill one day this week.

Today I want to do a small "patch" in my kitchen where a command hook did do damage to the wall. I wasn't the one who had put it up. Years ago my former downstairs neighbor had her floors repaired and asked to stay with me and I said OK. Problem was that she without permission (yes another one making changes to my place without asking) put 2 command hooks up. I took one down right away but kept the other one in the kitchen because it was useful. Well it broke on me last week and I tried getting it down (strip you're supposed to pull kept tearing) but it wouldn't budge without taking a piece of paint off along with it. Rather than spend $15 on a quart of semi-gloss paint right now, the caulking is white, I can put another hook up and cover up the spot with the oven mitt and potholders.

Today I want to work on some of my grid logic problems and pull out my coloring page which I didn't get to last week. I also want to read a few chapters in my book, a freebie from Amazon, probably one of the best I've read thus far. There's only one Christmas movie I want to see today and that one starts at 3:00. The rest of the evening I'm not sure what I'll do with as yet.

Today has been designated as National Fried Chicken Day, a day to enjoy a piece of crisp, tasty, finger licking good fried chicken.

Fried chicken is one of America's favorite meals. And while we know that fried foods area not exactly good for us, fried chicken tastes SO good that you have to have it once in a while, right? For me that time was this past weekend as I hadn't touched it for a couple of years.

A bit of chicken trivia:

- Fried chicken was once a sign of wealth
- My research indicated that there are 26 people in the U.S. listed on whitepages.com with the last name "Chicken". No one with the first name "Fried". I found 17 but I also found someone named "Pizza".
- The fear of chickens is called Alektorophobia.
- Modern domesticated chickens are descendants of the red jungle fowl of India and Southeast.
- More than half of all chicken entrees ordered in restaurants are for fried chicken.
- KFC was first known as "Sanders Court and Buffet".

Have a wonderful day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Fried Chicken Day. Yum. Thanks Logics. The domesticated chicken is an interesting bird. It is thought to be from a line of dinosaurs including a Jurassic Park favorite, velociraptor. The family is called theropods and were meat eaters. Never underestimate the chicken. But they are tasty fried.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Blm does not want people to stay home and not shop. They want people to put their money specifically in black owned businesses in that day..its a repeat of a day that has been encouraged off and on since Martin Luther King. I have bern fortunat to have found some black owned quilt shops and other business, some local, and so.will be directing my funds in that way tomorrow. What better places to get the needs for my BLM.quilt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/life/blackout-day-2020-boycott-explainer

Today will be another hot day here in Colorado. I an to knit on my project and read a new book, and to an hour of cleaning and organizing, as well.as spending a little time working on my quilt..today is slso active aeribics day. We have store bought pizza for dinner and I will sit out in the yard and read or knit for a couple hours.

Tomorrow I need to go out into the world and get two money orders and mail.a priority envir.twill be my first time actually in a store or place since march but it has to be done.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Thanks for letting me know about the not shopping thing.

Not that I shop anyway. Once a week for some food is enough. I know you like to get out there daily - DGFlorida.