Daily Check in August 2, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in August 2, 2020

Post by jckitty »

Back from the birthday party,

It was a really fun time, picnic foods burgers, hot dogs and everything to go with them.
The theme was tye dye as everyone is really into it.

We had a tye dye station and did T shirts and bandanas....lots of fun.
All relatives and close friends but because of the virus we were unable to invite her school friends.

I am home now and just relaxing....wishing I had 1 of those roasted hot dogs LOL.

JCKitty

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Oh, Trees, I am so sorry. ((((HUGS))))
Mackie

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

The hot August nights and days have started. Even though I ran my bedside fan all night it was still too hot to sleep. It will be like that tonight. Another high electric bill but what can one do. I keep my thermostat at 78 and still in the late after noon it starts up and grinds away until late at night. The grinding is the compressor outside doing its thing so I keep the window shut so I don't have to hear it.

Got all my bills paid and made a cash donation to a FB and gaming friend who has lost her house due to the hurricane. No insurance and her house is toast ;( I hope along with the donations she is able to get financial aid to help her through this.

Well I spent about $150 on books via Amazon. I love my books. Several about life during the Depression, a couple about food storage and one called the Starch Solution since starchy foods are my weakness. i used to find my mom's tales about her experience during those times interesting. I don't buy fiction as a rule, I have plenty of that at home left by my mom. Non-fiction books I generally read through more than once and keep them as reference material. I have to "pay myself" periodically as a way of forcing myself to do chores, housework, watching my diet and other mundane things. Things I don't like doing but are bearable if I remember to "pay myself" from time to time. Today's book purchase was this summer's payment to myself.

So in order to deal with my mild mental depression triggered by these times I find myself playing. I play a few games on my laptop and some on my phone. Lately an ad kept popping up promoting Sudoku so I caved and downloaded it. Now I have Words With Friends, Quiz Planet, and now Sudoku to play. I must remember to stand while playing them. It scares me to read about the "sitting disease" Most of my activities lately are sitting so I need to do some form of exercise when feasible. Darn! I miss working! I was able to get the required amount of exercise and then some. And getting paid to do it and having fun was icing on the cake!

Well off to find more mischief to get in to. Have a wonderful evening everyone!

Bev

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

So sorry Trees! These are hard times. Big hugs to you.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:53 pm
I haven't read any of today's posts yet...will catch up later.
These are such hard times.
DH and I visited a dear friend of ours last evening. Everyone masked and distanced....but he is dying of cancer and near the end. We sat and talked about everything... and nothing. Very, very sad.
We left there and stopped to eat something..it was late. Outdoors...spaced at picnic tables. The owner of the restaurant is a friend and crazy careful with sanitizing.
Just got my meal and my cell rang. Another dear friend...hysterical crying. Her fiancé..also our friend.. had just committed suicide. They are only in their forties. He had been spiraling downward and started using drugs.
I feel like my head and heart are about to explode.
Sorry to unload all of this...but I need you guys. Thanks for listening.
I know things will get better, but it is all so overwhelming right now.
Trees
I am so sorry, Trees. It is such a stressful time and to add death and illness is almost unbearable. (((Hugs)))

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

BevMoore wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:02 pm
The hot August nights and days have started. Even though I ran my bedside fan all night it was still too hot to sleep. It will be like that tonight. Another high electric bill but what can one do. I keep my thermostat at 78 and still in the late after noon it starts up and grinds away until late at night. The grinding is the compressor outside doing its thing so I keep the window shut so I don't have to hear it.

Got all my bills paid and made a cash donation to a FB and gaming friend who has lost her house due to the hurricane. No insurance and her house is toast ;( I hope along with the donations she is able to get financial aid to help her through this.

Well I spent about $150 on books via Amazon. I love my books. Several about life during the Depression, a couple about food storage and one called the Starch Solution since starchy foods are my weakness. i used to find my mom's tales about her experience during those times interesting. I don't buy fiction as a rule, I have plenty of that at home left by my mom. Non-fiction books I generally read through more than once and keep them as reference material. I have to "pay myself" periodically as a way of forcing myself to do chores, housework, watching my diet and other mundane things. Things I don't like doing but are bearable if I remember to "pay myself" from time to time. Today's book purchase was this summer's payment to myself.

So in order to deal with my mild mental depression triggered by these times I find myself playing. I play a few games on my laptop and some on my phone. Lately an ad kept popping up promoting Sudoku so I caved and downloaded it. Now I have Words With Friends, Quiz Planet, and now Sudoku to play. I must remember to stand while playing them. It scares me to read about the "sitting disease" Most of my activities lately are sitting so I need to do some form of exercise when feasible. Darn! I miss working! I was able to get the required amount of exercise and then some. And getting paid to do it and having fun was icing on the cake!

Well off to find more mischief to get in to. Have a wonderful evening everyone!

Bev
I don’t play games online but I have some very old handheld electronic games. I have a handheld version of Tetris, one of the games I used to play on my laptop. I love it! My jigsaw puzzles also help with my mental state.