I am pretty ticked off - what would you do?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

I am pretty ticked off - what would you do?

Post by HappyDaze »

Friends, my lawn is basically fried to a crisp - I mean DEAD, BROWN, NOTHING GROWING. So - TWICE my lawn service has been here and mowed - MOWED WHAT??? Mowed the DIRT is what!!! since the grass has been like this from the heat wave and lack of rain.

The only way I can tell they have been here is because 1. they move my dogs' run and 2. they have mowed over some papers that have blown into my lawn from the neighbor's house.

Friends, they are going to be sending an itemized bill soon and charge me $37.50 plus tax for each time that they MOWED THE DIRT. I think it is INCONSIDERATE of them to mow when it is blatantly obvious that NOTHING IS GROWING. I understand they have a business to run and the weather has been bad for business - but this is ROBBERY in my opinion. Any fool can see there is NOTHING TO MOW!!!

I am going to call and suspend service and I am also sorely tempted to subtract these last two mows from my itemized bill, along with a note of explanation. Then if they press the issue, I will pay it. What would you do?

clemencia2us

Re: I am pretty ticked off - what would you do?

Post by clemencia2us »

Depends on what kind of contract you had with them.

Is it an automatic payment monthly whether they go or not?

Gives them a steady income?

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Definitely suspend service and ask for credit for the last 2 "mows."

If you can find (it may be late in the game for this year) an independent service person who doesn't just send someone once a week regardless of conditions, you might be happier. This might have to be an industrious teenager. Our neighbors who were sick of their services showing up 1) when there'd been no growth due to lack of rain or 2) WHILE IT WAS RAINING (it put ruts in one guy's yard because they have big ride-on mowers and his yard was soft, once they even broke one of his sprinkler heads) hired DS; he only mows when things are too tall. Edges, weeds flower beds, and still costs less than his competition ;) Of course he walks to the jobs, they're just on our street.

I understand being concerned about the crews being paid but 1) it's seasonal work, they should be aware of the potential for lulls due to conditions and 2) when your money is tight you have to choose how best to use it, just like they have to choose when their money is tight.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

clemencia2us wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:25 am
Depends on what kind of contract you had with them.

Is it an automatic payment monthly whether they go or not?

Gives them a steady income?
The only "contract" is a verbal agreement that they won't let my grass get 10 inches tall - because at that point, our village sends one of their workers to mow and they give the homeowner a bill for $300!! I know this because a couple years ago, the previous owner of the landscaping company got sick with cancer and nobody came for several weeks - and I nearly had a fine!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:39 am
Definitely suspend service and ask for credit for the last 2 "mows."

If you can find (it may be late in the game for this year) an independent service person who doesn't just send someone once a week regardless of conditions, you might be happier. This might have to be an industrious teenager. Our neighbors who were sick of their services showing up 1) when there'd been no growth due to lack of rain or 2) WHILE IT WAS RAINING (it put ruts in one guy's yard because they have big ride-on mowers and his yard was soft, once they even broke one of his sprinkler heads) hired DS; he only mows when things are too tall. Edges, weeds flower beds, and still costs less than his competition ;) Of course he walks to the jobs, they're just on our street.

I understand being concerned about the crews being paid but 1) it's seasonal work, they should be aware of the potential for lulls due to conditions and 2) when your money is tight you have to choose how best to use it, just like they have to choose when their money is tight.
Sandi, this is something to think about. I need someone I can DEPEND on to not let the grass grow too tall. There is a gentleman who lives around the corner from me who has an old riding mower (my lawn is massive and can't be done with a push mower) and supplements his disability income by cutting lawns in summer - that might be an option.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

He sounds like a better bet than a 'company,' and you know you'd be doing him a favor.

If he ever gets behind you could just borrow his mower :lol: