Daily Check In August 9, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In August 9, 2020

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, my childhood dentist had enormous hands and I did and still do have a small mouth. By the time I was 12, my phobia was so extreme they were giving me tranquilizers before appointments. I stopped seeing him in high school, but was still very phobic.

But I somehow got over it as an adult, with a very nice new dentist, lots of deep breathing and just focusing on keeping my hands relaxed so the rest of me would not tense up.

I am sorry to hear everyone's troubles about dealing with the virus. School is about to reopen here without masks for little ones and I feel like were all sailing on a ship of fools without a port in sight.

Today we have bought groceries and done things around the house. We got takeout from our favorite Thai restaurant, which turned out to be super safe, and I made rice pudding from the extra takeout box of rice. Thai rice makes the best, fluffiest rice pudding. Gave DH a haircut and have packed my car with folding chairs for work tomorrow.

I get tired just thinking about the coming work week. Sixty hours in the heat. I may be too old for this, you know? :-d
Mackie

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

chocolite wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:18 am
I have memories (albeit hazy) of my DH reading aloud from one of the chicken soup books to me in the hospital after a major surgery I had in the late 90s. It made me smile to remember that; thank you!
Awww...what a sweet memory - I'm glad I brought that up for you! My poor EX dh could not win for loosing when I had surgery one time. I HOUNDED the poor man for DAYS about making sure he had my glasses and gave them to me as soon as I came out of the recovery room. I was so OBSESSED with making sure I had my glasses and could focus and see well.

So - I come out of recovery and into my room - and the poor guy very sweetly tries to hand me my glasses and I was like "GET THOSE AWAY FROM ME, CAN'T YOU SEE I'M IN PAIN, WHAT DO I NEED WITH MY GLASSES RIGHT NOW". I honestly felt so bad about that later - the poor guy was like "yes dear, of course..."

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The grilled meat was so good

I think Gayle wanted to know how the COD made it. I tried asking him, but he was also cranking up his leaf blower

I know he went and bought just good old Kraft barbecue sauce and said something about diluting that with water, adding pepper and a little bit of hot sauce. Whatever it was - it was yummy

He also serves it up all cut up in small slivers, even the steak. Easy to eat.

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 pm
Awww...what a sweet memory - I'm glad I brought that up for you! My poor EX dh could not win for loosing when I had surgery one time. I HOUNDED the poor man for DAYS about making sure he had my glasses and gave them to me as soon as I came out of the recovery room. I was so OBSESSED with making sure I had my glasses and could focus and see well.

So - I come out of recovery and into my room - and the poor guy very sweetly tries to hand me my glasses and I was like "GET THOSE AWAY FROM ME, CAN'T YOU SEE I'M IN PAIN, WHAT DO I NEED WITH MY GLASSES RIGHT NOW". I honestly felt so bad about that later - the poor guy was like "yes dear, of course..."
Haha, poor guy. I was pretty concerned about my glasses before every surgery as well. I guess because you're so vulnerable you want to at least see what's happening to you. 😀
Patty

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:32 pm
It took me years to go to a dentist again after this and then it had to be an oral surgeon that would knock me out completely when I was younger. My first dentist here was very understanding when I told him my story and was extra gentle with me. When he passed away from prostate cancer he must have left a copious folder on me as the dentist that took over his practice and the rest of the staff seem to follow the same procedure.
I am so sorry you had such a traumatizing childhood experience. Things like that last a lifetime.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:37 pm
Jackie, my childhood dentist had enormous hands and I did and still do have a small mouth. By the time I was 12, my phobia was so extreme they were giving me tranquilizers before appointments. I stopped seeing him in high school, but was still very phobic.

But I somehow got over it as an adult, with a very nice new dentist, lots of deep breathing and just focusing on keeping my hands relaxed so the rest of me would not tense up.

I am sorry to hear everyone's troubles about dealing with the virus. School is about to reopen here without masks for little ones and I feel like were all sailing on a ship of fools without a port in sight.

Today we have bought groceries and done things around the house. We got takeout from our favorite Thai restaurant, which turned out to be super safe, and I made rice pudding from the extra takeout box of rice. Thai rice makes the best, fluffiest rice pudding. Gave DH a haircut and have packed my car with folding chairs for work tomorrow.

I get tired just thinking about the coming work week. Sixty hours in the heat. I may be too old for this, you know? :-d
Mackie hope all goes well and you do not get overheated.
Janet Alliesmama