Daily Check in August 11, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check in August 11, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Starting us off, but desperately need coffee. Back in a few.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in August 11, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I find it amazing that I have started the check in thread two days in a row. Where is everyone?

Another fairly busy day today. We have an appointment at the bank just before noon today so hopefully we can get everything arranged financially to our liking. Rotten interest rates right now, but it is what it is. I also want to move one of our GIC's into the savings account to help pay on the vehicle.

Frugally, here on the old homestead, the usual will be happening. Hubby picked beans for me yesterday and those need to be processed today. My usual morning walk will take place (I managed to get way over my usual number of steps yesterday) but I think I just might go in the opposite direction this morning. New sights to see. I will do some mending (may even try to fix Hubby's cardigan that has a rather huge hole in the knitting), and of course there is the usual household chores that need completing.

I am loving these cooler mornings, however cooler mornings are not an indication that it will stay cool. We are still reaching almost 90F by the mid afternoon. Usually with a bit of a breeze so it only feels bad if you are out in the sun.

I am continuing to use up various things around the house. I think I am slowly but surely getting things used that need to be used. Must get working on those quilts and cross stitch once again.

I found a bunch of picture frames I have kept or picked up over the years and have moved the ones up here to the box in the basement. I think it is time I started to use them or donate them. Having a box of empty frames makes little sense to me anymore (especially as I am getting older). It is time to simplify and organize so our boys don't have to. Just one slight problem....I love books, fabric, and yarn.

Supper tonight is going to be pork hash. I will use leftover pork from Sunday's meal along with the baked potato in the fridge. I will have to add a few more potatoes, but I have a bag that needs using, an onion and a few stalks of celery as well. Served with a kale salad (kale needs to be gone as well) we will eat handsomely.

Today I am grateful for the garden produce.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

Ugh to my Doctor's appointment. 3 shots, Shingles, TDAP and the pneumonia vaccine since my A1C boosted me up into full-blown diabetes and made me eligible for it. I am a bit achy today.

I was not happy with my blood sugar this AM. Hopefully this is the motivation I needto walk and eat better.

Have a great day,
Maggie

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Got up late for me this morning, about 6:45. I'm usually up around 5:00. I will feel like I'm trying to catch up all day. Also got notice yesterday that our water was going to be turned off for four hours this morning so I filled up a couple of buckets just in case.

I thought about the day without power and yesterday. Without power the day seemed to drag on and on, but yesterday just disappeared. I did keep busy both days, but I think it had to do with what I did and perhaps the variety of things I was able to do compared to Wednesday. Strange.

As is my typical day, I will do my chores before they turn the water off and then play on the computer for a while. Never got to my coloring page the other day so I will try to pull that out. And then see what happens. Went through some of the "Pause" resource emails yesterday and came across one dealing with a YMCA announcement of numerous exercise videos. I tried one and previewed a bit of another yesterday and liked it so I want to see if I can build some of these into my daily activities.

Tonight I will be having scrambled eggs. These last few months I have changed my food plan into eating a much larger variety of things and I like it. It also is probably the reason my food budget has changed a bit.

Today is designated for the Persied Meteor Shower which is visible, weather permitting, from mid July through late August. The peak is usually between August 9 - 14. The actual date does fluctuate a bit. It can be seen in one half of the country from the mid-west to the east coast.

Whatever you do, don't blink or you will miss these meteors as they flame across the sky. It's absolutely amazing what a little piece of dust can do when is enters the earth's atmosphere travelling at 160,000 miles per hour. Meteors are seen as the earth passes through the orbit trail of a comet. As the comet streaks through the heavens, it sheds dust and small debris. When this debris enters the earth's orbit, friction from the upper atmosphere burns up the meteorite, resulting in a streak of light quickly blazing across the night sky. The brightness and longevity of the light, is a function of the size of the meteor, how near it is to you and how dark the evening is.

The Perseid Meteor Shower is one of the brightest, numerous and long lasting of all the meteor showers. Best of all, it occurs each year in August, at a time when the viewing weather is warm, and most nights are cloudless. The number of meteors you see, is dependent upon how dark of a location you watch from, and the number of expected meteors. This number can vary significantly from just a few to a hundred per hour. On a good, moonless night, 60 - 100 meteors per hour are likely.

Meteorites are also called a "Shooting Star" or "Fallen Star". Since ancient times, seeing a shooting star was a sign of good luck to come.

When and How to Watch for the Perseid Meteors

Watching the meteor shower on its peak night, usually results in the largest and brightest display. If the peak evening is cloudy, select a date as near to the peak as possible. The best time to view the Perseid Meteor Shower is between midnight and pre-dawn hours. Find the darkest location you can, the darker the better and look up. But be careful to avoid neck strain. A sweater might be helpful as August morning hours can become chilly.

According to the National Weather Service it peaks tonight into Wednesday morning as the Earth reaches the most dense part of the debris cloud. The Perseids reach their zenith around 2:00 a.m. ET on Wednesday, August 12. NASA will feature a live video of the event on their facebook page (NASA Meteor Watch) from around 9:00PM tonight.

Have a great day and if you get to view the meteor shower be careful of your neck.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

LogicsHere wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 am
Good morning all.

Got up late for me this morning, about 6:45. I'm usually up around 5:00. I will feel like I'm trying to catch up all day. Also got notice yesterday that our water was going to be turned off for four hours this morning so I filled up a couple of buckets just in case.

I thought about the day without power and yesterday. Without power the day seemed to drag on and on, but yesterday just disappeared. I did keep busy both days, but I think it had to do with what I did and perhaps the variety of things I was able to do compared to Wednesday. Strange.

As is my typical day, I will do my chores before they turn the water off and then play on the computer for a while. Never got to my coloring page the other day so I will try to pull that out. And then see what happens. Went through some of the "Pause" resource emails yesterday and came across one dealing with a YMCA announcement of numerous exercise videos. I tried one and previewed a bit of another yesterday and liked it so I want to see if I can build some of these into my daily activities.

Tonight I will be having scrambled eggs. These last few months I have changed my food plan into eating a much larger variety of things and I like it. It also is probably the reason my food budget has changed a bit.

Today is designated for the Persied Meteor Shower which is visible, weather permitting, from mid July through late August. The peak is usually between August 9 - 14. The actual date does fluctuate a bit. It can be seen in one half of the country from the mid-west to the east coast.

Whatever you do, don't blink or you will miss these meteors as they flame across the sky. It's absolutely amazing what a little piece of dust can do when is enters the earth's atmosphere travelling at 160,000 miles per hour. Meteors are seen as the earth passes through the orbit trail of a comet. As the comet streaks through the heavens, it sheds dust and small debris. When this debris enters the earth's orbit, friction from the upper atmosphere burns up the meteorite, resulting in a streak of light quickly blazing across the night sky. The brightness and longevity of the light, is a function of the size of the meteor, how near it is to you and how dark the evening is.

The Perseid Meteor Shower is one of the brightest, numerous and long lasting of all the meteor showers. Best of all, it occurs each year in August, at a time when the viewing weather is warm, and most nights are cloudless. The number of meteors you see, is dependent upon how dark of a location you watch from, and the number of expected meteors. This number can vary significantly from just a few to a hundred per hour. On a good, moonless night, 60 - 100 meteors per hour are likely.

Meteorites are also called a "Shooting Star" or "Fallen Star". Since ancient times, seeing a shooting star was a sign of good luck to come.

When and How to Watch for the Perseid Meteors

Watching the meteor shower on its peak night, usually results in the largest and brightest display. If the peak evening is cloudy, select a date as near to the peak as possible. The best time to view the Perseid Meteor Shower is between midnight and pre-dawn hours. Find the darkest location you can, the darker the better and look up. But be careful to avoid neck strain. A sweater might be helpful as August morning hours can become chilly.

According to the National Weather Service it peaks tonight into Wednesday morning as the Earth reaches the most dense part of the debris cloud. The Perseids reach their zenith around 2:00 a.m. ET on Wednesday, August 12. NASA will feature a live video of the event on their facebook page (NASA Meteor Watch) from around 9:00PM tonight.

Have a great day and if you get to view the meteor shower be careful of your neck.
Hubby lay in the lounge chair and watched the meteors last night. He said that today and tomorrow night is supposed to be cloudy so that it was the only night he could watch. Bet he is out tonight as well cloud or no cloud.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I went to bed kind of late - for me anyway - so set my alarm for 6.

I was kind of in a rush so didn't check in.

Think i need to get back on my 5am schedule. I was just being lazy.

I was sweating during our walk this morning and it wasn't that bad out there. I've been waking up sneezing and slightly congested in the morning.

We are having lots of plants and trees blooming around here. Forget the name of the flowering trees. Then lots of bushes that put out tons of yellow flowers. And then the purple sage - that is really nice. So doesn't look too bad out here in our semi desert town.

maybe all that pollen is getting to me?

Have a great day all

oh and my friend starts her census duties today. Good luck to her. I don't know if i could do that. :shock: