Daily Check-in, September 25, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Daily Check-in, September 25, 2020

Post by LWolfT »

Just getting us started ...
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check-in, September 25, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Late start this morning with having to run to the other grocery store this morning for produce that the closest store does such a bad job on. Today is going to be near 80 degrees so I will plan on getting outside for a while.

Today will be a same old, same old kind of day as will the weekend. But then let's face it, most of us live by self created routines that don't change much. For example, I rarely went to a movie because I felt they were so expensive, a reason why I enjoyed my cable subscription. I only started going out to an occasional movie on discount days these last two years and that wasn't frequent. The biggest change was joining the hospital Vitality Group and the senior center to fill in the socializing aspect I'd lost after retiring from my job. Some of this has been filled by Zoom seminars and getting through the time hasn't been as bad as it might have been without them.

Tonight's meal is spaghetti with leftover fried spaghetti on Sunday.

Today has been designated as "Native American Day dating back to 1939 with ten California Governor Culbert Olsen dedicating the day to American Indians. Nevada soon followed suit. Over the years, the name and date was changed. It is was declared to be celebrated on the 4th Friday of September in a State resolution by Ronald Reagan in 1968.

This day was set aside to honor and celebrate Native Americans, the first Americans to live in the U.S. Still commonly referred to as American Indians, the term "Native Americans" has been used in recent years as a sign of respect and recognition that they were indeed the first indigenous people to populate our great and wonderful nation.

By the time the first explorers and settlers arrived from Europe, Native Americans had populated the entire North American continent, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from the Gulf of Mexico all the way to the northern reaches of Canada.

Have a wonderful day.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning! Seemed odd to start us off today, LOL!

Supposed to be a bit warmer today, but we're definitely into fall here. My peppers are still producing, but everything else is tapering off. I plan to go out tomorrow and do some cleanup and snip some more herbs to dry.

I'm dealing with a stuffy head and a cough. No fever, so I suspect it may be allergy related. Had a dentist appointment scheduled, and when I told them I had a cough, they moved my appointment to next month. (No that I blame them.)

Today, need to make phone calls to straighten out a financial issue. Also turns out that a home repair is going to be more extensive and costly than expected. So need to make some calls on that.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Sitting here wrapped in a shawl wondering if I will get my call today.... Probably not, I am beginning to think the start of the second wave just might have made the surgical team slow down on processing cases, just to make sure if a surge occurs there will be room for those cases. Sigh the waiting is killing me, I guess I don't have as much patience as I thought I did.

I did not go shopping yesterday and probably will not go today. Hubby says to go tomorrow when there is very little chance of getting a phone call. However my landline is call forwarded to my cell phone and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Same old, same old happening around the old homestead. I live a very boring life since retiring. Boring can be good but can also be a bit depressing. My major excitement for today will be finishing the washing of all the drapes in the front half of the house (would like to add the shower curtain in, but need to definitely hang that outside). I will also be measuring a couple of windows for new curtains this week. I plan on replacing the hall and our bedroom. Both sets are around 20 years old, handmade and starting to look their age. Still looking for curtains for the dining room as well.

Bread will be baked today, and elastic put into the masks and perhaps a few ear loops made. Once all the elastic is in and sewn into loops I will get the black masks done. Should definitely be finished by the end of the month. I will be making a new project list for next month and will stick to shorter easier (I hope) to get finished quickly ones. Lots of little ideas for Christmas are going around my head.

I need to start on the menu for next month. I seem to have an overabundance of various chicken parts so I think more chicken will be on the menu while I stock up on some beef while shopping. I could almost be at where I feel safe with my edible pantry items. I need a few more cans of fruit, and perhaps another yeast, sugar and flour. I feel like Mrs. Squirrel getting ready for winter. I just hope I am ready.

The cupboards need cleaning as well inside so I hope to get at least the set with the microwave done today. That contains one of my pantries which definitely needs a tidy.

Supper tonight is going to be Tuna Casserole along with some coleslaw (still using up the rather large cabbage I bought a week or so ago).

Today I am grateful that I can still go for my morning walks.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Cool and rainy morning here. Everybody was happy and healthy this morning at my house.

I am having my coffee break and need to do a room check afterwards. Had a bunch of kids finish their quarantine late yesterday and they moved out in the evening.

Yesterday I used the one of the free washers here to launder a dust mop head I found in the closet. It was filthy beyond belief, but is an OCedar and not worn out, so it is worth saving. I was amazed at how clean it turned out. The washers are household size Speed Queens. We will be setting up a washer replacement fund at my house ASAP because I want one of those sweet things!

Hope everyone has a lovely, peaceful day.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. As some of you have stated it is the same old same old and it is here as well. I am thinking of not doing a daily check-in here but will most likely be poking my head in to keep up with what everyone is doing. Also might cut back on my 2020 challenge posting for the same reason. Right now my energy level is very low so need save it to use elsewhere.

I do love and care about all of you.

Stay safe and frugal everyone.
Janet Alliesmama